ripped camel's motor swap progress

Surprisingly Pasco Auto Salvage was quite apologetic and didn't argue with me in the least. They said they will pick the motor up and give me a check for my refund. According to them usually they test their motors but some cars are in accidents that render them unable to testing. Honestly I'm a pretty good judge of character and I think he was being genuine on the phone.

So out the motor needs to come.

How about labor costs????

Get a dam discount on that new motor.

How about labor costs????

Get a dam discount on that new motor.

They don't have another motor to give me. I'm being re-imbursed for all fluids etc being installed into the car. Labor isn't being re-funded so I'll be biting that bullet. I didn't want to argue further because the fact they were willing to refund the fluids etc was quite respectable in my opinion.

Are they going to give you some type of credit towards all the labor that went into this thing?
I just had a new complete furnace delivered to my mother in laws house as the heat exchanger had failed on the one in the house. It started out as they were going to give her a $400 credit towards a new furnace because they did not make the heat exchanger or furnace anymore and she was 15 years into a 20 year warranty!!

Sometimes you need to get a little pissed off and yell a bit to get what is fair instead of saying thanks for the little you did. Might as well ask all they can say is no.

Most yards will only exchange the engine for another or give you a full refund. The fact they are picking it back up AND rembursing for the fluids is pretty unheard of.

Most yards will only exchange the engine for another or give you a full refund. The fact they are picking it back up AND rembursing for the fluids is pretty unheard of.

That's what I was thinking too. I'm a big believer that if someone is genuine about something and tries to make good on their mistakes to not give them the wooden spoon. I feel their intentions were good otherwise they wouldn't have offered to pay the extra for fluids etc. If they intended on screwing me they could have made the return aspect a nightmare, and then told me to take a hike with the other cost.

How a company handles a problem deciphers the level of reimbursement I expect. If they are arrogant jerks to me, I will nail them to the wall for everything they have. If they are apologetic and genuinely sorry and try to make good I will work with them.

This company seemed to be the latter so I worked with them.

RC, I'm not sure if you done it or not but while the trans is out, I would call Maxx and get the 2 gaskets needed for the J-Mod at around $2.50 each + shipping and front and rear seals, just so you know they're good to go. I know the electrical internal swap went well from the 97 over to the 98 and I strongly recommend the J-Mod. He can have this stuff to you within 2 days, maybe 3 tops and all for under $30.00 to the door.

RC, I'm not sure if you done it or not but while the trans is out, I would call Maxx and get the 2 gaskets needed for the J-Mod at around $2.50 each + shipping and front and rear seals, just so you know they're good to go. I know the electrical internal swap went well from the 97 over to the 98 and I strongly recommend the J-Mod. He can have this stuff to you within 2 days, maybe 3 tops and all for under $30.00 to the door.

Already did it. We switched the 1-2 accumulator also....We meaning he was working, and I twiddled my thumbs like a moron :D

I helped with whatever he needed, but man when that guy works stay out of his way, he's like the terminator....a man on a mission. I didn't want to hold him up in the least bit so I just stood by and awaited orders...Guess I was the shop beotch for the day. :shifty::eek:

Are they going to give you some type of credit towards all the labor that went into this thing?

Normal operating proceedure, is no, unless you bought the labor warranty, then they will cover the cost of R&R up to a certian point.

Dr. SVO phd

The only yards I buy engines from reimburse labor costs... their motors are $200-$400 more but I feel much better buying from them.

So I called the one you mentioned Jamie and they were a bit shady to me on the phone. They don't know anything about it, and the guy said he can't discuss what it does or doesn't have. I asked if it at least has valve covers and he said he doesn't know and can't discuss that. That is a red flag to me and I feel that they will suck to deal with if there is a problem, if they can't even talk about it before they have my money.

I did however find a 98 motor w 66k on it still in the car at another yard. They said they got it yesterday from auction. Same price I paid on the other motor except different junk yard.

They said it shows not a direct swap with a 97 with a production date of 12/96. They said it probably will work with my car but don't know what the differences are. As you all know I switched in a 98 tranny so that will work fine. What other differences are there that make this not a direct swap? Is it computer related differences? Will my stock 97 computer work with a 98 engine?

Already did it. We switched the 1-2 accumulator also....We meaning he was working, and I twiddled my thumbs like a moron :D

I helped with whatever he needed, but man when that guy works stay out of his way, he's like the terminator....a man on a mission. I didn't want to hold him up in the least bit so I just stood by and awaited orders...Guess I was the shop beotch for the day. :shifty::eek:

I know what you mean. When he swapped the air ride pumps for me and put in the new one that I got from Eddie, I helped him remove the front bumper cover and stayed out of the way after that. He done a damn good job replacing the new pump and made sure it sat on good bushings with the under lay for even more quietness and reinstalled it. Once he was done, I helped him get the bumper cover back onto the car and then he finished up all the screws himself.

Glad to see you, well Jamie got the J-Mod done but what was the reason for swapping out the 1-2? The 98 should have had what you needed already unless there's something about the 97 trans that I don't know. Maybe you had a newer one in the 97 with less miles accumulated lol.

So I called the one you mentioned Jamie and they were a bit shady to me on the phone. They don't know anything about it, and the guy said he can't discuss what it does or doesn't have. I asked if it at least has valve covers and he said he doesn't know and can't discuss that. That is a red flag to me and I feel that they will suck to deal with if there is a problem, if they can't even talk about it before they have my money.

I did however find a 98 motor w 66k on it still in the car at another yard. They said they got it yesterday from auction. Same price I paid on the other motor except different junk yard.

They said it shows not a direct swap with a 97 with a production date of 12/96. They said it probably will work with my car but don't know what the differences are. As you all know I switched in a 98 tranny so that will work fine. What other differences are there that make this not a direct swap? Is it computer related differences? Will my stock 97 computer work with a 98 engine?

If not, I have a 98 computer for it. The guy I bought my 98 trans from also gave me the computer too. He said he didn't need it for anything. It too had right in the 60K range on the engine. He's putting the running engine into a 59 Ford truck.

Glad to see you, well Jamie got the J-Mod done but what was the reason for swapping out the 1-2? The 98 should have had what you needed already unless there's something about the 97 trans that I don't know. Maybe you had a newer one in the 97 with less miles accumulated lol.

I bought all new seals, gaskets, and the 1-2 accumulator spring and piston so if he took it apart and it was damaged, we would have it on hand. They were fine when he took it apart but I figured for the little cost I paid for them new, I would be better off putting them in for a little extra peace of mind.

If not, I have a 98 computer for it. The guy I bought my 98 trans from also gave me the computer too. He said he didn't need it for anything. It too had right in the 60K range on the engine. He's putting the running engine into a 59 Ford truck.

I'll let you know if there is an issue.

I bought all new seals, gaskets, and the 1-2 accumulator spring and piston so if he took it apart and it was damaged, we would have it on hand. They were fine when he took it apart but I figured for the little cost I paid for them new, I would be better off putting them in for a little extra peace of mind.

You think like I do unless it has something to do with a hammer. :p The updated springs and piston cost me a little over $60 at my local Ford parts place and they have less than 1K on them in the 94 trans. I'll be getting them out before I junk it when I junk everything else in the garage.

quick question, why dident you just change the cam girdles, drop the oil pan to see if there are any pieces in it, and put it back in the car? at least you know that engine is in good shape.

quick question, why dident you just change the cam girdles, .

research is your friend

your suggestion sounds good in theory, but its a failure waiting to happen about 95% or more of the time.

I donno... if it were me I probably would have attempted to repair the problem, just by replacing the girdles. However, 1 I am a tech and if it had tore up meh, oh well I woulda had to put a motor in it anyway, and I could do it myself and second... I wouldnt have taken a demo tool to my valve cover. But its all coulda should woulda, it was either motor now, or possibly motor later.

quick question, why dident you just change the cam girdles, drop the oil pan to see if there are any pieces in it, and put it back in the car? at least you know that engine is in good shape.

obviously you do not realize what bearings do, would you go to the junk yard and remove 1 main bearing out of a similar motor to yours and use it in your motor? i highly doubt it, the cam girdles are line honed for the very camshaft that lays inside them, every single cam and cam girdle is different, even if its within a few hundred thousandths, it is different, so putting another cam tower on top of the cam could cause catastrophic disaster down the road. its half ass and i dont do that kind of work.

I've been watching this whole thing unfold & I have to say, it truly sucks to be in this situation. Jamie is just amazing & has a reputation of just doing so & I'm shocked at how much effort he's had to put into this project. Ripped... Dude, have Jamie sign your dash board, it's the last full swap this man is doing on anyone's Mark. Your car is famous! One thing's for sure dude. After all that sweat being put into this car you better not sell it.

One thing's for sure dude. After all that sweat being put into this car you better not sell it.

his wife will have him sell it the minute its fixed.:shifty: (sorry ripped, i dont know you or your wife,this is just what i see happen a lot,maybe not this time but....)
She will say something along the lines of:

" sell it right away before something else goes wrong" :eek:

people do this all the time,they get a car running 100% and dump it, someone else on here should grab it then,cause it will proabably be good for another 100k at that point.

obviously you do not realize what bearings do, would you go to the junk yard and remove 1 main bearing out of a similar motor to yours and use it in your motor? i highly doubt it, the cam girdles are line honed for the very camshaft that lays inside them, every single cam and cam girdle is different, even if its within a few hundred thousandths, it is different, so putting another cam tower on top of the cam could cause catastrophic disaster down the road.its half ass and i dont do that kind of work.

AMEN!!!

Dr. SVO phd

Members online

No members online now.
Back