ripped camel's motor swap progress

One thing's for sure dude. After all that sweat being put into this car you better not sell it.

I have zero intention of selling it. I just put 4 brand new tires on it, and even just installed a SVT pump during the rebuild. I wouldn't have done that for a new owner to enjoy. Nor would I have opted for a Mach 1 converter over a bland stock replacement.

his wife will have him sell it the minute its fixed.:shifty: (sorry ripped, i dont know you or your wife,this is just what i see happen a lot,maybe not this time but....)
She will say something along the lines of:

" sell it right away before something else goes wrong" :eek:

people do this all the time,they get a car running 100% and dump it, someone else on here should grab it then,cause it will proabably be good for another 100k at that point.

You don't know my wife, nor do you know me. My wife herself wants to get this car to 100% so we have a 100% dependable car.

She just bought a 1998 Volvo S70 GLT turbo that has 120,000 miles on it. I told her when you buy used under $10,000 there is no guarantee as to what the previous owner did to it or what you'll have to replace. So I convinced her the best route is to find a vehicle with a perfect body that has had no accidents and a perfect interior. That way when and if the engine or tranny goes it is worth putting money into the car. She agrees with me.

I plan on giving this car to my son someday (he's 3 years old now), because I've put an immense amount of effort into this car. He's also formed an attachment to it. He always asks why the truck took the Lincoln.

Cliffs notes of what I just said: I nor my wife will get rid of this car!

LOL I don't think a Mark can be a dependable car!!!

But this one will be close when Jamie is done.

Hey Ripped, once your car is complete, we should all do a Florida meet somewhere we can all enjoy a nice weekend with our "not-so dependable Mark III's" lol

Sounds like a plan to me. If you want I'll bring the infamous hammer for all to admire :D

I have zero intention of selling it. I just put 4 brand new tires on it, and even just installed a SVT pump during the rebuild. I wouldn't have done that for a new owner to enjoy. Nor would I have opted for a Mach 1 converter over a bland stock replacement.

You don't know my wife, nor do you know me. My wife herself wants to get this car to 100% so we have a 100% dependable car.

She just bought a 1998 Volvo S70 GLT turbo that has 120,000 miles on it. I told her when you buy used under $10,000 there is no guarantee as to what the previous owner did to it or what you'll have to replace. So I convinced her the best route is to find a vehicle with a perfect body that has had no accidents and a perfect interior. That way when and if the engine or tranny goes it is worth putting money into the car. She agrees with me.

I plan on giving this car to my son someday (he's 3 years old now), because I've put an immense amount of effort into this car. He's also formed an attachment to it. He always asks why the truck took the Lincoln.

Cliffs notes of what I just said: I nor my wife will get rid of this car!

Good to hear

obviously you do not realize what bearings do, would you go to the junk yard and remove 1 main bearing out of a similar motor to yours and use it in your motor? i highly doubt it, the cam girdles are line honed for the very camshaft that lays inside them, every single cam and cam girdle is different, even if its within a few hundred thousandths, it is different, so putting another cam tower on top of the cam could cause catastrophic disaster down the road. its half ass and i dont do that kind of work.

actually i do realize what bearing do, however i think it would have been a temporary fix so ripped could get some money together to do the car right. I think you would be surprised by how long that motor would have ran with a temporary fix. You say you dont do half as work, but yet you put a "junk" junkyard engine in the car. They say hindsight is 20/20, dont you think you should have gotten an lkq motor from a place that tested it first?? It should have been no surprise to you that the motor was hurt just by the condition it arrived in. Now you have to do it twice. Im not trying to piss on your parade, im just saying maybe you should cut your losses and fix the known good engine. Im sure if ripped had money fallin out of his ass he would have sprung for a built long block, or at least a new longblock. Its always easier to say what should/could have been done after the fact. Not tryin to get anyone upset, im just throwin that out there.

" You say you dont do half as work, but yet you put a "junk" junkyard engine in the car"

maybe you need to go back and read a little better before you say :q:q:q:q, i didnt get a junk yard motor, the owner of the car did, if i had sold him a motor, we wouldnt be where we are right now, all i did was install the engine, and i didnt do a half ass install, there is a huge difference between me hacking some :q:q:q:q on his motor to get him around, and installing an engine that someone else brought to me to install. if he wanted to swap cam towers on his car thats fine, but i wasnt doing it. finding a motor and swapping it was a whole hell of a lot faster and cheaper than changing out his head, besides i wasnt going out and dropping 500 bucks on a cam and timing tool set for his motor. i dont put motors back in nor do i repair them internally so there is no need for me to spend money like that on tools i will never use. what i did was not half ass, i put the motor in the car that was dropped off at my shop, the motor is junk, end of story.

aren't the cam girdles like the factory connecting rods that are actually one solid piece and then they actually break the cap off instead of cutting it in half so that they are a better fit. Isn't that why they're not interchangeable.

hey dont get pissed at me, i only asked why fixing his motor wasent an option. YOUR the one who said "you dont do half ass work". i wasent attacking your work ethic. Sorry you have to do twice as much work now.

hey dont get pissed at me, i only asked why fixing his motor wasent an option. YOUR the one who said "you dont do half ass work". i wasent attacking your work ethic. Sorry you have to do twice as much work now.

The issue here is you calling Jamie a hack in a douchey way for NO reason.

i dont :q:q:q:qing care what he thinks what i did isnt half ass work, and i told you why i didnt fix his motor, open your eyes. twice the labor, twice the money, even if i have to do this again i'll do it over changing a head inside the :q:q:q:qing car. i'll have this motor out tomorrow night, AFTER i work a full day at work, the other motor will be at my shop next friday, i'll have it back in saturday, and this car better be gone sunday!
say or think what you want black lsc, i wouldnt help you in a bind thats for sure!
like i said, temp fixing the head by putting on cam towers from another head is half ass, having a customer go buy an engine, reguardless of where it came from, and asking me to install it, how is that half ass? i understand your point, its a junkyard motor, i knew this, but thats doesnt :q:q:q:qing matter all i did was take engine, place in car, start, bad engine, thats half ass?????????????????
all i did was install it.
basically you can say that 85% of the people on this site are half ass then, because i have sold used parts to many of them, i am not a junk yard, but same concept, i have a large shop and a garage full of parts, they are all used, i sell them, just like a junk yard does, so all you :q:q:q:qers, including myself are half ass i guess because i got used stuff for my cars too!

aren't the cam girdles like the factory connecting rods that are actually one solid piece and then they actually break the cap off instead of cutting it in half so that they are a better fit. Isn't that why they're not interchangeable.

No, they are line bored.

The cam journals and bearing inside diameter will all be within a few thousandths, that is not the problem. The problem is finding a cam girdle the correct depth from the flat face to the bore diameter. They will be several thousandths different from one to the other. If you put one on too small or too large, the effective bearing diameter will be easily outside the service limit. The trick would be to find one to replace that is within a couple thousandths of the same diameter and distance off center. Not saying it can't be done, it is a proverbial needle in the haystack to get it just right. The factory tolerances were very tight.

listen your all entitled to your opinion, i asked a simple question, and you stated makin a repair is a half ass way of doing it. You said it not me. There's nothing "douchy" about what i said. I dident realize there were so many mary's on this site that are so easily offended, meanwhile 3/4 of you :q:q:q:qs make fun of ripped, the guys got enough troubles he doesent need :q:q:q:q from everyone on this site. I hope his car turns out good, and i would never kick someone when there down.

But that's the problem you obviously don't know much about the overhead cam design, the suggestion you made is something you never do, engines are machined with close tollerances for a reason you cannot just swap cam towers from one head to Another, it's worse than taking a chance with a salvage motor.

i dont :q:q:q:qing care what he thinks what i did isnt half ass work, and i told you why i didnt fix his motor, open your eyes. twice the labor, twice the money, even if i have to do this again i'll do it over changing a head inside the :q:q:q:qing car. i'll have this motor out tomorrow night, AFTER i work a full day at work, the other motor will be at my shop next friday, i'll have it back in saturday, and this car better be gone sunday!
say or think what you want black lsc, i wouldnt help you in a bind thats for sure!
like i said, temp fixing the head by putting on cam towers from another head is half ass, having a customer go buy an engine, reguardless of where it came from, and asking me to install it, how is that half ass? i understand your point, its a junkyard motor, i knew this, but thats doesnt :q:q:q:qing matter all i did was take engine, place in car, start, bad engine, thats half ass?????????????????
all i did was install it.
basically you can say that 85% of the people on this site are half ass then, because i have sold used parts to many of them, i am not a junk yard, but same concept, i have a large shop and a garage full of parts, they are all used, i sell them, just like a junk yard does, so all you :q:q:q:qers, including myself are half ass i guess because i got used stuff for my cars too!

god you are cute when you get upset! lmfao!

listen your all entitled to your opinion, i asked a simple question, and you stated makin a repair is a half ass way of doing it. You said it not me. There's nothing "douchy" about what i said. I dident realize there were so many mary's on this site that are so easily offended, meanwhile 3/4 of you :q:q:q:qs make fun of ripped, the guys got enough troubles he doesent need :q:q:q:q from everyone on this site. I hope his car turns out good, and i would never kick someone when there down.

Jaime told him the best and cheapest option, and that was the replace the entire engine. New doesn't guarantee sh!t either. The second engine in my Mustang got a rod knock within 500 miles (re-manufactured) and I decided to find an engine and rebuild it myself. You are never guaranteed anything with the work of others, and that is the point that Jaime has been trying to get across. All of this "what if" bullsh!t is uncalled for and not helping anything. He is going above and beyond trying to help Camel, which is more than any of the rest of us has done.

Members online

Back