ripped camel's motor swap progress

BAD97LSC

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
well, here is the deal so far, the motor was delivered today by pasco auto salvage, the car was towed in a little later. i got to my shop around 4:30 and just about laughed and cried at the same time when i saw the motor. first off, motor is clean, cant argue with that. pasco auto salvage are :q:q:q:qing hacks, cant argue with that either. the fuel rail is bent 90 degrees toward the hood where the fuel lines attach, exhaust was cut off with a torch, which melted the right 02 sensor plug, they cut the smog pump pipes off, they broke nearly every plug on the engine, they stole all the coil packs off, the ac compr, the power steering pump, the alternator, i had to remove the entire engine harness from it, and replaced it with one i had kept off one of my motors, so thats allset now, i am pulling the intake off to replace the fuel rails and injectors, i am not taking a chance with the injectors the gas has a bad tarnish smell, so its easy enough to just change the whole dam thing, i have to swap some stuff over from derrik's old motor to the new one, accessories and driver exhaust manifold and cat, dumb stuff. its funny how i remove these and then to see how a junk yard removes them my god, fully dressed is supposed to mean a turn key replacement, this is far from that, extra work for me now thats all, derrik just has to wait longer!!!
i'll be taking alot of pics as i go along. i have a really severe headache tonight so i came home early to get some needed sleep, i'll be at my shop around 5:30 am tomorrow so i can get his motor and trans out, i'll have it all out by lunchtime hopefully then i'll wait for derrik to bring me parts!

with the exception of the broken and cut and bent wiring, fuel rails etc.....you get a engine from any salvage yard its gonna have the accessories removed..ie power steering pump, compressor, alternator, starter, and even sometimes coils/coilpacks...can and will be removed...even convertors as they are worth scrap value....so really its no surprise thats how you got the motor

I think he just means though that the motor was heavily abused by the junkyard before it made it to him. You guys putting in a marauder motor or just another B head motor.

they said the motor was fully dressed, fully dressed means turn key, nothing missing, and for what he paid they sure the :q:q:q:q made out like bandits for keeping all that :q:q:q:q. dan its a stock 97 mark VIII motor.

Like I said earlier Jamie, time is not of the essence. I'm hoping the car will be up and running by next weekend, if not then the week after will be fine.

As for the condition of the motor I'll be calling them about that. Complete motor does not mean one that has been beat, stripped, and void of necessary components. I especially was not happy to hear the plug holes were full of water. It would be in that junk yards best interest to refund some of the money for the discrepancies in the condition it arrived as to what I was told I would be getting.

Yeah fully dressed is just that, id be on the phone telling them to pick that sh*t back up and give me a refund or id keep it but want a 200.00 refund for having to buy some of the sh*t back. What hacks, but what do you expect when they torch vans and make trucks out of them...

Ha...I've seen mexicans beat the transmission bell to pieces to get it apart from the motor instead of just unbolting the trans.
Also see EVERY fuel line cut on all the motors that were pulled as well as the harnesses...
It's what happens when you have border jumpers working for less than min wage...it happens
I've lived around salvage yards my entire life, you'd be amazed at some of the crap that happens to cars

a good respectable yard will not cut harness or fuel lines..and if they do its always on the car side of the connections not the engine side....but any yard will remove all accessories...and only sell just the bare engine....anything left on is for your convience...but all accessories will be removed....as for water in the plug holes...very possible they power washed the engine before delievery...and seeings the coils were gone it only makes sense...common practice at alot of yards before selling an engine

well, i spent nearly 16 hours on this project today. needless to say, i am a little upset at the deal i made with derrik in return for swapping the engine, i basically took his motor and some cash which after taking everything off his engine to make the new one a whole motor, now his old motor is completely useless to me! i cannot believe how much work i had to do to this " new " motor just to make it whole. oh well, this will deffinetly be my last motor swap for anyone but myself thats for dam sure. unless someone coughs up serious money, to get this done is taking alot more work than anticipated because of the junk yard hacks. here are pics of today, i have 9 million, i'll only post 7 million. i was gonna continue to work on it tomorrow, but my wife is not very happy with me blowing off going grocery shopping 3 weeks in a row, we have no food and she said the kids need food, so i have to be family man tomorrow or i'll be living in the shop!
derriksmotor001.jpg

derriksmotor002.jpg

DONER MOTOR
derriksmotor003.jpg

derriksmotor004.jpg

derriksmotor006.jpg

derriksmotor008.jpg

derriksmotor009.jpg

derriksmotor019.jpg

derriksmotor029.jpg

derriksmotor034.jpg

derriksmotor037.jpg

derriksmotor040.jpg

derriksmotor041.jpg

derriksmotor045.jpg

derriksmotor047.jpg

derriksmotor052.jpg

more pics, putting new gaskets and other parts onto the doner motor.

derriksmotor056.jpg

derriksmotor059.jpg

derriksmotor060.jpg

derriksmotor062.jpg

derriksmotor064.jpg

derriksmotor066.jpg

derriksmotor067.jpg

derriksmotor070.jpg

derriksmotor073.jpg

and here it is, pretty much ready to rock and roll, i still want to change the fuel rail, and derrik wants to clean the imrc's, i think he nuts, i'd put the :q:q:q:qer in the way it is, then go slam it into a wall and let me watch!

derriksmotor077.jpg

derriksmotor076.jpg

and the car looking about 1000lbs lighter!

derriksmotor081.jpg

and this is what i am left with, a :q:q:q:qing boat anchor!

derriksmotor075.jpg

I have no idea, i wanted a nearly complete motor so i could build a new one for my 97, but now that all the crap is gone i might as well get what i can and find another whole motor, make me an offer, all i can say is yes or no!

Nice progress pics!

Holy hell! Ripped Camel really did a number on that fender! :eek:

Where did you pick up the Felpro gaskets, Jamie? (being as I'm doing the same crap, might as well get 'em local)

Nice progress pics!

Holy hell! Ripped Camel really did a number on that fender! :eek:

Where did you pick up the Felpro gaskets, Jamie? (being as I'm doing the same crap, might as well get 'em local)

Yeah that fender was what I was against when I was using brute force. I couldn't believe I literally pulled myself into the body. I never kicked or hit that fender, that was from pulling on the cover. :(

Felpro gaskets were from advanced auto parts. I posted in a different thread that they have a deal if you sign up for an account (which is free) and spend $100 this weekend, you get a $50 gift certificate towards your next purchase. Also anything over $75 is free to ship so if they aren't local to you, you'll still get a hell of a deal.

Jamie, your hard work will not be forgotten. I may not be swimming in cash right now but don't forget what I'm going to school for. Good deeds do not go unheard. ;)

Nice work Dr.

Interesting some of the differences in the techniques we use to do the swaps, but on the same note, I too have come to the conclusion that an increase in price is acceptable for the swaps on these cars.

True the JY did jam you on getting a complete pullout, and having to swap accecories to some dosen't seem like a lot, but every little bit like that does eat away at the time though, like having to replace the teflon o-ring for the power steering HP line, replacing the rear main and any other gaskets, or worse yet working around hack work that someone else has done, such as welded exhaust hangers that you have to cut then re-weld them, different size nuts and bolts that someone put in there, or even stripped ones, WTF :mad:

And there again, although you have the space for a lift, there is a huge time difference between doing it on the ground and being able to use a lift, aside from the fact of how phucking dirty you get doing it on the ground.

Dr. LSC thanks for sharing the photos, would be nice some day for the two of us to get together and talkshop, btw you don't look too much taller than me, becareful that dick head XLRVIII might start calling you a Gnome too.

Dr SVO phd

Jaime, the old junk motor... I don't know if you put the junkyard harness on it or just repaired the connectors on it, but how much would you want for just the part of the harness that goes under the COP covers? Also possibly the coils and the 1 good cam cover? Also, did you ever figure out shipping on those door panels? I know your a busy guy so no rush, just figured I'd prefer to buy parts from you first.

Jamie, Nice work!! It really is Bull:q what that funkyard pulled on Ripped and in the end on you. But, Karma is a real deal and it will come back to you one way or another. Just Curious, When you had the oil pan off, I'm assuming there wasn't anything of concern, shavings and such. Good luck on the rest of the job, Hey, ripped, I've had Dr Dent do work for me before, In fact, I have a frequent flier card. I've seen them fix stuff the size of yours. Oh yea, they might be able to do something with that dent as well.:D You can negotiate down with them too.

i wasnt there when the motor arrived i was at work. he got a partial refund himself over the phone.

Members online

Back