What did you do to your Mark VIII today?

Much as I hate to say it, I have learned that taking out the pass seat made it a lot easier to change the blend door motor. I lay down where the seat was and can look at what I am doing instead of fumbling around behind the dash.

Completely agree. This was my first time doing it but if I do it again, I will definitely remove it. Putting the actuator was a PITA, would have made it a lot easier if I could sit inside.

And now the car has smudges all over since it is ivory.

Resealed headlights and gave them a second buffing/polish while I had them both out of the car as well as aligned them correctly this time. Also fixed the vac leak (FINALLY! FOUND IT!!!) that was making it stick on defrost.

Think I should listen to my car but it's raining today :(

[video=youtube;huCPEi9RWds]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huCPEi9RWds&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Got mine back on air this weekend. New-ish compressor did the trick. Unfortunately, the rear bags are still leaking down :confused: I think the solenoids need new o-rings (yeah, I know I should have put new ones in when I changed out the bags...buy I are lazy...:rolleyes:). Anyhoo, I'll put some o-rings in this week and should be good to go.

You have entirely too much time on your hands. :p Neat though!

Working 10 hour days with a 1 and half hour commute out of state so I wish I had more time on my hands when I did this. Now laid off yet again until another job order comes into the shop for Manhattan.

Wanted to do the oil change today but it is so windy I wont even bother :(

Oh the agony...when I got this LSC partly it was because it had the dreaded Blender Door Fail. Ordered one to replaced it and did the lengthening of the hole into a slot to take the stress out of it when open.

Yesterday the thing is only shooting cool air with the fan almost full on. Time to get the borescope out so I can see if it was I dread repairing :mad:

Oh the agony...when I got this LSC partly it was because it had the dreaded Blender Door Fail. Ordered one to replaced it and did the lengthening of the hole into a slot to take the stress out of it when open.

Yesterday the thing is only shooting cool air with the fan almost full on. Time to get the borescope out so I can see if it was I dread repairing :mad:

If you had a block heater none of this would've happened.

If you had a block heater none of this would've happened.
You do realize where you can stick said block heater or that fact that is of no help to a non functional blender door don't yo...oh never mind.

I'll just turn the electric burner on the stove on low in the house. It will waste as much energy and make a climate control stuck on cold work right :shifty:

Just about as swift as Obamacare :blah:

Cleaned my dads car, and gave it a front LSC treatment.

8z8l.JPG

Cut third cat out (REALLY clogged).

Replaced the middle section from the flange to just after the cat with a "Y" section off a Thunderbird I found at the JY last weekend. Sounds a ton better and much more responsive on the throttle. Temp fix, but definitely happy with the results for the time being.

[video=youtube_share;ZJzgaVW6UFo]http://youtu.be/ZJzgaVW6UFo[/video]
[video=youtube_share;7cYbkwwJlhU]http://youtu.be/7cYbkwwJlhU[/video]

went out and checked on the mark and found a thin sheet of ice in my overflow bottle and that the power steering pump hates me more

Cut third cat out (REALLY clogged).

Replaced the middle section from the flange to just after the cat with a "Y" section off a Thunderbird I found at the JY last weekend. Sounds a ton better and much more responsive on the throttle. Temp fix, but definitely happy with the results for the time being.

Damn that sounds pretty good for just removing the 3rd cat. You mentioned before that you got your 93 with a stock lsc dual exhaust on it right? Stock mufflers still yes?

If so how did you replace the 3rd cat with a Y pipe if its true dual?

Damn that sounds pretty good for just removing the 3rd cat. You mentioned before that you got your 93 with a stock lsc dual exhaust on it right? Stock mufflers still yes?

If so how did you replace the 3rd cat with a Y pipe if its true dual?

No, I was misinformed on the exhaust by my brother and thought I had true dual but I do not.

I'll try and go out in a few minutes and take some pictures but basically what I have is stock headers with both stock 1st and 2nd cat, goes down to where the 3rd cat was and I cut it out and unbolted and dropped from the flange. Took C clamps and attached a 2 1/2" to 2" reducer on both stock pipes where I made the cut. Then, I took and cut two ~3" piece of 2 1/4" flex pipe and attached those to the reducers with C clamps. Finally, I measured and cut the pipes from the section I found at the JY off an (I think) '88 Thunderbird. Attached the flange, pulled really hard toward the back of the car to get those piece of pipe into the flex pipe sections and C clamped those on.

The stock mufflers were cut off by the previous owner (not sure why, but they were cut off) so there are no mufflers on the back. HOWEVER, the piece of pipe we got at the JY from the Thunderbird was a Y into a pretty big muffler which ended at a flange which fit mine perfectly. I think that muffler that was on that section is producing a pretty nice sound, but I don't know very much about exhaust. I honestly thought I wasn't going to be able to complete the job as I went into it pretty much winging it and ended up with quite a bit more satisfaction then I expected.

you do realize where you can stick said block heater or that fact that is of no help to a non functional blender door don't yo...oh never mind.

I'll just turn the electric burner on the stove on low in the house. It will waste as much energy and make a climate control stuck on cold work right :shifty:

Just about as swift as obamacare :blah:

teacher-spanking.jpg

Here is the exhaust setup. As you can see from the last picture, it's just abruptly cut. I need to get something done there, I don't like how it just flows right under the trunk area. Either going to clamp some extensions to the end and put cheap tips or something like that until I can afford to get the whole exhaust done properly.

CAM00167.jpgCAM00168.jpgCAM00169.jpgCAM00170.jpgCAM00171.jpg

CAM00167.jpg

CAM00168.jpg

CAM00169.jpg

CAM00170.jpg

CAM00171.jpg

Got the air suspension fixed! Finally! New(ish) compressor and new o-rings in the rear solenoids did the trick. It was 25 degrees last night and the car was sitting exactly the same height this morning that it was at when I parked it last night. :) Yay!!! Now I'm very happy.

endless fixes

On my 3rd MK3 this current Gen II (maybe b/c a Bronx born and bread car)
has had more problems than the other two and 250,000 miles in them have given me.
Just finished a long stretch of repairs over the last 6 months. All moveable parts in front end ( except LCB ) Compressor and bag problems all replaced, threw inthe towel, then removed and sold to put in conversion kit. All plugs and a coil. ( 145k on it) head light out so this weekend conversion for both including making custom clips to hold bulbs in assy.bought a rear neon assy. on line for $75 , working but someone had pryed it off a parts car and ruined the top gasket and all the studs. So demanded money back and got it. so a free neon aasy. a foam backer and a perfect black caulk job across the top edge, to the trunk.epoxied the crap out of the studs and all good.
I still have a mystery intrmittent ( I bellieve traction control) problem sometime connected to hitting a sharp bump in the road. Rplaced the shift control switch years ago but kicks into neutral and sometims engin cuts off. electrical for sure. sorry for rambling.

lots of sub-frame action. been an interesting couple of days...

^Needs a progress thread with lots of pictures^

Please! :D

Ouch and so glad even tho I live in a extreme Rust area none of my Marks have ever had that problem :(

I had to use a plasma cutter on a rust free gen II and cut those bolts out. Yours are probably stuck as well.

Members online

Back