What did you do to your Mark VIII today?

Finally Got her Back Last night:eek:... Several Gaskets later and a few leaks fixed she runs like a raped ape!! New Oil and filter, new vacuum lines, fittings, valve cover gaskets, IMRC actuator, IMRC's cleaned out completely, intake gaskets upper and lower, new little bushings for Runners, new Rad hoses, t-stat, coolant flushed, fill tube cleaned and painted, new o-rings seals on crossover tube, new -oring seals on Fuel injectors, new Caps on injectors (the old ones were cracking apart 200K has that effect) new PCV valve, new Vacuum lines. Lots of BS work but was also told that the internal components like timing chain and upper valve train looks very clean for 200K. Funny when it was all done, I could hear the mechanic say to the other mechanic.. "man you should drive this, he must have a shift kit, it bangs first gear hard enough to break the tires free, then slams second.." After which I wasnt sure if i should comment on how well its performing or how much they were beating on the car to get it to spin them in the first place. :D:D:D

Gotta get my LCA's installed. My front end squeak returned this morning. Sounds horrible. But first I've got to find $70 bucks somewhere that I can use to get it aligned afterward:(

how many miles on your 97 now?

Depending on how many, I might be able to get you a deal on the alignment....:shifty:

how many miles on your 97 now?

Depending on how many, I might be able to get you a deal on the alignment....:shifty:

If you install new air shocks in the front, would that call for an alignment? I wouldn't think so but thought I'd ask. My car doesn't pull either way nor during braking. My other parts UCA's and LCA's have only been in for 2 1/2 years but with how I drive, they might have right around 4K miles on UCA's and LCA's and ball joints. I keep everything greased too. Tires don't even appear to have any wear on them or in other words, if they are wearing, it's very even.

2012-06AirShockInstalled.jpg

AC was blowing only slightly cool, and I thought I had a blend door problem. Thankfully turned out just to be low on refrigerant, which was quickly solved by a trip to Walmart, getting some AC Pro, and recharging. Blowing nice and cool now, which I couldn't have any other way in these Miami temperatures.

If you install new air shocks in the front, would that call for an alignment? I wouldn't think so but thought I'd ask. My car doesn't pull either way nor during braking. My other parts UCA's and LCA's have only been in for 2 1/2 years but with how I drive, they might have right around 4K miles on UCA's and LCA's and ball joints. I keep everything greased too. Tires don't even appear to have any wear on them or in other words, if they are wearing, it's very even.

2012-06AirShockInstalled.jpg

Nope. Control arms would warrant an alignment, but new air shocks with no height sensor adjustment doesn't.

Nope. Control arms would warrant an alignment, but new air shocks with no height sensor adjustment doesn't.

Cool, just wanted to make sure because as of now, there isn't many miles at all on these air shocks, maybe 100 or less. I'm getting the Octi's installed this week with the same tires and about to leave inna few minutes to send these so called "new center caps" back (to Detroit, MI.) for some that don't have any scratches on them at all. He found two out of the six he has that looked mint to me. I'll pop them on next week when he gets them to me but I do have all 4 for the wheels. This is how they look right now but two of the caps are a little too scratched up for me.

2012-05-11225456.jpg

Sorry, that's too many. I have a 3-year alignment deal for my 97 (5-year for my 98) at Tire Kingdom, but they record the mileage each time. If your mileage was close to mine, we may have been able to work something out to save you a few bucks, but that's 34k more than mine...

Looks like ole silver has his work cut out for him.

I certainly do.:p I would do underdrive pullies, throttle body, and a dyno tune this year and hope for 13.30s I have 148K miles on my engine now and I highly doubt I will catch Doug. I can certainly try, but there is hard evidence and data that proves otherwise. My car might have 260 rwhp at this point and might see 280rwhp with the above mods and a dyno but surely will not see 300.

Well, got home tonight, aloud banging noise has been bothering me for over a year, finally decided to investigate the issue, turns out the air SHOCK was damaged. I'm not sure why, they were only 2 years old and the noise showed up a year aster they were installed, I thought it was the cheap upper control arm. They didn't have moog instock, so I bought the duralast brand. So upon inspecting the car for the noise, found the ball joint boot ripped, thought maybe the joint was bad, picked up a new upper. Still had warranty on rotors, they were warped so it has new discs. Replaced upper, and right front air SHOCK, the noise is all gone. Smooth ride and quiet. Since I have the drivers air SHOCK, and its been installed as long as the other one was, should I replace that one too? I was noticing a little rattle from the drivers side, should they be replaced in pairs?

:D
So now I'm done for a little till I can afford to replace the power steering pump and oil filter gasket. I soaked the entire engine bay in super purple cleaner. Came up nice. Very nice. Now a little detail spray and it will look shiny. Lol :D

Edited due to SHOCK!!!! LMAO... :D;)

Last edited:
Best if changed in pairs

Ahh I see you went back and edited the post.. you didnt have to I thought the Comment about socks was good and funny.. Lol Especially the one that stands on its own..

Anyway I was looking at it this way, If the one was bad and the other still seems to be good should I keep it as a good known spare or swap it out and keep the one thats on there now as a ok spare...hell even the other one I took off held air, the bladder was good just noisy and a bit of wheel hop when you hit a bump. I guess would be good enough if the bag were to blow out.

Thanks anyways.. you guys always provide solid advise.
Bill

If you install new air shocks in the front, would that call for an alignment? ...

Nope.:)

True. Unlike struts, the air shocks in a Mark VIII do not attach to the spindle and they have no effect on the alignment. Thank goodness our cars don't have struts in the front.;)

Best if changed in pairs

Yep. It's always a good idea to change your front air SHOCKS in pairs.:rolleyes:

That way you know you have two equally good SHOCKS. If you replace one and not the other, the ride/handling quality could suffer because of differing stiffness of the new vs. old SHOCKS.:D

Nope.:)

True. Unlike struts, the air shocks in a Mark VIII do not attach to the spindle and they have no effect on the alignment. Thank goodness our cars don't have struts in the front.;)

Yep. It's always a good idea to change your front air Struts in pairs.:rolleyes:

That way you know you have two equally good Struts. If you replace one and not the other, the ride/handling quality could suffer because of differing stiffness of the new vs. old Struts.:D

x2

Pulled the tube out of my Bilstein last week upon acceleration, not sure what caused it exactly, but nothing is worn or loose under the car. All the bushings are good, bags are good.... chalking it up to a faulty part that I'm having warrantied.

In the mean time.... was steered towards these by a cobra buddy, got a set online and installed them last night. They have 18 adjustments from firm to soft. I've been playing with them today to see where I want to set them. Were almost to pretty out of the box to install.

Link to shock info

IMG_5285.jpg

Wow! Those are nice! But I'd put some kind of sleeve over the shaft just to keep the dust and dirt off. 18 settings??!?! That's awesome. Too bad you can't put some kind of stepper motor or something on top of the shock and attach it to a rheostat or pot to make them adjustable from inside the car while you're driving. That would be serious coolness:)

Pulled the tube out of my Bilstein last week upon acceleration, not sure what caused it exactly, but nothing is worn or loose under the car. All the bushings are good, bags are good.... chalking it up to a faulty part that I'm having warrantied.

In the mean time.... was steered towards these by a cobra buddy, got a set online and installed them last night. They have 18 adjustments from firm to soft. I've been playing with them today to see where I want to set them. Were almost to pretty out of the box to install.

Link to shock info

IMG_5285.jpg

Expensive, but very nice.

which model did you use TS706 rear 70-04 mustang?and are those delrin adapters at the top, you used those with the bilsteins as well correct?

Link to shock info

http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae259/crashpro993/Mark8Murder/IMG_5285.jpg

those things do look really cool.

Members online

No members online now.
Back