Official Stack Murder Mark Progress Thread!!!

I alread buitla custom wheel for them to run on...!

the mice squirrels and rats are Gonna have custom wheel???!!!
you da man!

peta will make you their posterchild/hero for 2010!

what a very kind thing for you to do

Lol.

Pictures?? C'mon!! haha

Everytime I see this thread my fingers and hands trip over everything trying to get me in to see the progress. Not cool when I don't see any!!

Where the hell are the pictures??

Ohh ya, on my camera still... will post tonight, it was a slow weekend...

So I didn't accomplish as much as I wanted this weekend... but at least I did something!

That being said I have learned a few things, one Lincoln used some really thin, really poorly weldable metal on these cars, and two sheet metal work is not like riding a bike... if you stop you lose what little skills you may have had quickly :D

So I am waiting on the hinge and latch for the tail light so that is on hold... and I am not quite ready to tackle the shaved door handles, need to gather a few more parts for that as well.

So what did I decide to do... Cut a big hole in the side of the car :D

Get rid of the useless stuff...
DSC_8480.jpg

DSC_8481.jpg

DSC_8484.jpg

DSC_8485.jpg

No turning back now :D

DSC_8493.jpg

DSC_8488.jpg

Well the flat metal doesn't fit at all... wtf :D No big just need to finesse it a bit!

Contour Gauge
DSC_8499.jpg

Precise rolling tool :D

DSC_8500.jpg

DSC_8502.jpg

DSC_8503.jpg

So you would think you are ready to put the panel in right... well not quite, the sides of our cars are very flat... but very and completley are two different things!
DSC_8496.jpg

So you use the English wheel to give the panel a little dimension...
DSC_8489.jpg

Wheel bling!

DSC_8490.jpg

Pretty damn close!

DSC_8507.jpg

Weld it in and grind smooth/

DSC_8508.jpg

I had a horrible time welding the panel in... the Mark is ~20 gauge, maybe even a little thinner... my welder was loaded with .030 wire, way too thick... .025 would be much better...

So I had to fix a spot where I burned through severely...

DSC_8509.jpg

DSC_8510.jpg

Due to my poor welding I had fits finishing it out... I was able to get it close... but nowhere near what I would like to see... sadly this panel will need a lot more filler than I would like. I'm going to do the otherside a bit different...

DSC_8510.jpg

DSC_8520.jpg

Inside

DSC_8521.jpg

Put on some chassis black paint to protect it from rust.

DSC_8523.jpg

DSC_8524.jpg

Ya know Brandon you are one impressive wipper snapper. :D I look foreward to watching this build. You are taking on allot of things I just dont have the nards to try. Stacks car will be sick when done. I assume with all this custom work that youare going to remove all the cancer off the car?
Also are you going to paint it or have a shop do it?

I also believe Marks metal was closer to 22 or 24 awg. 20 was what older cars had.

I was planning on leaving the rust... just for character...

Lol...

Jamie is painting it...

Sometimes you have to just jump in with both feet and hope for the best :D

WOW!

Crazy to see your car go through a transformation like this...

Its going to be rediculous when its done!!!

Its not nearly as bad as you had me believing it was over the phone dude...

Im getting excited man! WOOO HOOOO!

Looking good! Black is pretty. Ford put the blackest black on these cars, too, makes for a nice wet-sand finish.

22174300071_large.jpg

Not the nicest example but an idea at least.

Don't feel bad about your progress man, these things take awhile especially if you're doing a good job.

That being said I have learned a few things, one Lincoln used some really thin, really poorly weldable metal on these cars

Yup, they sure did! (found that out when I was messing with the broken X brace) I've cut myself a few times on various sections with sharp edges.

Good job, so far! Progress looks good and is the kind of stuff I'd never dare attempt. :)

Pshhh... I think everyone should cut a big hole in there car at some point... what is the worst that could happen :D

I am no body man but I just want to ask about your method. What if you possibly didnt cut out the channel, but maybe ground the outside of the channel and weld your peice to that? Just was thinking that it might keep the door from warping from taking such a long peice out of it. I am sure there is a method to your madness, but I was just curious.

*now has Flinstones theme stuck in head*

*humms*

Maybe also use the old door trim as a template for the new peice of metal... just thinking out loud...

I am no body man but I just want to ask about your method. What if you possibly didnt cut out the channel, but maybe ground the outside of the channel and weld your peice to that? Just was thinking that it might keep the door from warping from taking such a long peice out of it. I am sure there is a method to your madness, but I was just curious.

I was thinking you'd have done this on the quarter, cut/grind your filler panel down to size so it sits in enough inside the radius of the groove, tack in the gap a bit btwn filler and edge of groove, then use kitty hair or a bit of mud, light block sand. Then run filler primer over the side of the car using more where your fab work is and block that out to finish up. With like, a 12" or 18" block.

Definately different methods though! My idea might not be the best.

Members online

Back