First Gen Markviii Vs Second Gen Markviii

Which one looks better First Gen or Second Gen

• First Gen Markviii

Votes: 34 40.0%
  • Second Gen Markviii

Votes: 51 60.0%

• Total voters
I voted Gen 1.:)

I own 2 of each. I like all of them though, but they are all different in the way they drive. My Gen 1's have 307 gears, the Gen 2's have 327 and 373.

I like the looks of the Gen 1's better, the steering ratio and feel, the throttle response/feel and the general "lighter" sense of the cars. And of course, the fuel mileage.

If I drive one gen all week, then drive a different gen, it always seems like I missed driving this one.:cool:

Then, of course, I have to remember the radio control buttons again, and one of these days I'm going to break a multifunction switch right off, pushing or pulling it the wrong way, to dim my headlights.:D

in my opinion, they both are fun to drive, both have better things vs the other, both have their share of problems. i like both generations, i just prefer to own a gen 2.

It's crazy how many compliments I get on my 98, now that it has a 96 LSC nose on it, I still want to do a cowl hood tho, and something with the bumper to add some fog lights.

It's kinda weird walking up to it and looking at the front end, then opening the door to a much nicer interior :)

so i cant legally drive, but i can at the same time :p i can make comments, have no idea what not having a permit has to do with commenting on someones car. i love cars, ive been into them since i was like 3 no lie, i could tell you what any car was on the road we passed, even today. i didn't mean anything by it dude, i just don't like green on mark 8's really.

Hey its all good, don't worry bout it, I was just gettin a little salty at that moment.

i have driven a 2nd gen, and put lots of miles on one. they're nice. better seats, better interior, smoother and so on.
but i like the look of my 93 better, and i like driving it better.
maybe it's just what i'm used to.

it's also hard to compare a stock 40k 97 to a chipped, geared, jmodded 185k 93.
it's just not the same experience.
i would daily a 2nd gen no problem, but my 93 is just more fun than any other car i've driven up to this point.

Do you have a converter in at as well or is it stock? I'm curious to know how these cars respond to a little higher stall.

Do you have a converter in at as well or is it stock? I'm curious to know how these cars respond to a little higher stall.

no converter yet. that's next on the list. i hear many good things about a 3000 or so stall.

I've owned both gens. A 94 then a 97 LSC, and then another 94. At first I didn't care much for a second gen's body, but it did eventually grow on me. I bought the car that is now TiltedHalo's car. Thought it was a very nice looking car, but thought it drove like a town car. It also put a bad taste in my mouth as I had to do a BDA and replace the shot steering column to the tune of $380 from Jamie on eBay, before I knew him. Every thing I tried to race with it blew my doors off... I finally said f it, sold it and got the car I have now. I agree, the interior is nicer, except for the center console, a gen 1 has it in that department. If I could have it my way, I would have a 96 LSC body, with a 94 drive train, gen 2 interior with a gen 1 center console and a second gen rear. Is that asking for too much? ;)

Oh, and with first gen seats...

Gen II's look better. I've seen a few Gen I's that look really nice, but if you parked it next to a Gen II that has had the same treatment and attention to detail the Gen II would steal the show. :D

That's why I did both of these, to have the best of both.

both cross gens 021a.jpg

both cross gens 023a.jpg

no converter yet. that's next on the list. i hear many good things about a 3000 or so stall.

Higher;) I suggest 36-3800 and a Tru Cool Max 40,000 gvw trans cooler only because I know that cooler has worked for me in my summer daily driven Mark8 with a 3800 stall. I had a converter guy here in town tell me it was too high for the street. Total BS. I got that suggestion from Driller himself before I started this whole modification process. Some people don't like the action of an aggressive stall, some do. Personally, my car drives very very stock under light throttle and it's right in the powerband and shifting high under WOT.

Higher;) I suggest 36-3800 and a Tru Cool Max 40,000 gvw trans cooler only because I know that cooler has worked for me in my summer daily driven Mark8 with a 3800 stall. I had a converter guy here in town tell me it was too high for the street. Total BS. I got that suggestion from Driller himself before I started this whole modification process. Some people don't like the action of an aggressive stall, some do. Personally, my car drives very very stock under light throttle and it's right in the powerband and shifting high under WOT.

higher it is! i'll set my sights on a 3600 stall then.
thanks kirk.

My buddy mike has a 4500 or 4800 stall in his prostreet 71 chevelle lmfao you should see him try to drive it normally on the street hahahaha

My buddy mike has a 4500 or 4800 stall in his prostreet 71 chevelle lmfao you should see him try to drive it normally on the street hahahaha

There ya go Chris. It could be worse! LMAO Chit, Driller was running a 4200 stall on his NA setup towards the end there and now has that stall in with the 5.3 IIRC. 3800 stall is PLENTY streetable in my opinion with a large stacked plate cooler. I'm pretty sure that and the 4.30 gears is two of the main reasons I'm running these times on a 145K mile Gen2 with suspension that is shot on all four corners and a chitty a$$ mail order tune LOL

you know these threads pop up about twice a year and all it does it start fights , arguements, my dick is bigger than yours, who really gives a :q:q:q:q? in the end they are all mark VIII's abd isnt that why we are here in the first place?

Best words said on here. In the end, this site is not about which Gen is better, it's about how can you help me get this car back on the road! lol

It's crazy how many compliments I get on my 98, now that it has a 96 LSC nose on it, I still want to do a cowl hood tho, and something with the bumper to add some fog lights.

It's kinda weird walking up to it and looking at the front end, then opening the door to a much nicer interior :)

Umm, pics please!

I like those Gen 3's (1+2=3):D

I wouldn't stop with the Gen 1 front end on a Gen 2 though.

I'd install a Gen 1 steering rack and intake manifold also. Then to top it off, the Gen 1 engine cover to make it look original.:cool:

I'm actually considering those last mods for one of my Gen 2's.:)

This is never going to end... I say The Gen 3 is better! :)

Hey here's a good question... Normally when Marks changed so would their #'s, (ex: When they changed the Mark III, they called it the Mark IV, etc... Wouldn't that make the 2nd Gen Mark a Mark IX?

no because its the same car just updated, they are different generations of the same car, same platform, nearly the same whole body, they dont look like mark VII's do they!!

Well I have had both so to speak sept my Gen 1 was a 96' so it was closer to a Gen 2 in ways :rolleyes:

However I must say I like the Gen 2 better but still miss my 96' :(

Don't even go there, those make me puke... but the Mark V & the Mark VI were built on the same plattform if I'm not mistaken. Please correct me if I'm wrong though.

who cares? we are talking about mark VIII's you pud whacker. why you bringing up cars from the 70's in a mark VIII thread lmfao. i wish i was closer so i could back hand you sometimes. stay on topic mr. a.d.d

Members online

Back