How to make 9005 Bulb adapters 4 Low Beam conversion

Rating:
5/5,
  1. xtriggerman
    My OEM Low beams craped out with 82K on the car so I was pressed into rigging in a 9005 Hi beam kit. I choose the 9005 at 5000K since I hate the hi power blue lights folks seem to want to blind all the on coming vehicles with these day. Part one for picture size sake....
    This modification requires a band saw and a lathe and maybe a dremil. The OEM bulbs are first cut like so on the band saw.
    [​IMG]
    Then pick out all the rubber like so
    [​IMG]
    Hack saw around the bulb until you hit the glass inside and then snap off the bulb
    [​IMG]
    Disc grind or turn the disc flat like this after you cut that bulb bridge out with a dremil or drill the bar edges out. The inner ID of the hole is used by the 9005 O-ring, so the lip of the bridge needs to be turned out smooth to match that original ID of the hole. Not yet done in this photo
    [​IMG]
    Here is where all the Lathe work takes place. The largest ID cut is 1.350" and is .070" deep. Then the second cut into the plate is 1.155" wide in its ID and an additional .090" deep for a total of .160" depth of the entire cut from the face of the disc. The O-rings my bulbs came with were junk so I put in a R11 O-ring and those fit perfectly snug into the disc hole.
    [​IMG]
    John_Carr likes this.

Comments

To make a comment simply sign up and become a member!
  1. xtriggerman
    The lathe work that is the end result of the above specification
    [​IMG]
  2. xtriggerman
    As a continuation,
    The washers are Nail gun washers from Lowes for the 3 studs.
    [​IMG]
    Of course the plastic bubble housing lock tabs were toast so the easiest way to fasten the clear covers is zip ties. When you fit them back into the car, the inner headlight pocket will press up on the zip tie to tighten it even more.
    [​IMG]
    This is basically how I rigged the balasts. All tho I had to move the black boxes so the core support covers will go back on.
    [​IMG]
    My "kit" came from Headlightexperts.com and the blue connectors are garbage. I don't really care for these blue bulbs they sold me either. I may ditch the whole HID thing since they scatter the light into dull road projection in these housings. Problem is, I don't know if the cups in the housings will handle halogen heat.
    UPDATE*** Well the one ballast from Headlightexperts crapped out shortly after install. I replaced both of these ballasts with a DDM kit from here
    DDM Tuning You need not add any of the extras to have this kit work in the car so its $44.95 as of the 8/31/20 writing. Their ULTRA kit may be worth the extra, but not essential.
    1. xtriggerman
      1/8/21 update. One of the standard DDM bulbs crapped out. It ended up taking many turn on/ off's to light the bulb. So I ordered a pair of Ultra bulbs and they do infact light up faster. I got the 35w /4500K and I like the white color over the 5000K blue. The high beams combine better with the 4500. The Ultra kit is running $80.96 and it looks like thats the way to go. https://ddmtuning.com/UltraHIDKit
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.