Turbocharged Lincoln LS Build Thread...Pics and Vids Inside...

I would imagine there would be a way to make a housing for the charger itself to protect it from the elements. Ive never played with a remote mount, but cant imagine it would get too hot. You could wrap the hell out of it with insulation wrap and route the intake and filter out of the way to keep it out of the elements.

Have you guys tested the operational temps of the turbo as its back there?

~Bryce

So driving thru and on the snow is not a problem for your Turbo LS setup?

(My LS is lowered so sometimes I gotta punch, WILL get stuck when do it slowly, thru 1' or higher snowbank to get out of my alley after they plow the main street)

This thing will hopefully never see snow again if I can help it. I finally got a winter 4x4 vehicle this year so I am keeping the LS in the garage for the winter; besides the occasional drive on milder days. I am sure a little snow would not hurt it, but I am not taking a chance of hitting an ice patch and spinning the car to find out. ;) I drove the LS last winter and it was not fun. I would have garaged the LS this winter regardless of the turbo going on.

Since you mention that you are lowered I will mention one thing that may be a buzzkill for allot of you that are lowered and may be thinking you want to do a remote turbo in the future. While I have routed the intake tubing in a way that will allow the best ground clearance, I do not suggest doing a system like this on a lowered car. The 2" intake tubing routing below the car does affect ground clearance a bit; but on a stock height car it is manageable. However, that in conjunction with a lowering kit would be too low for comfort in my opinion.

I would imagine there would be a way to make a housing for the charger itself to protect it from the elements. Ive never played with a remote mount, but cant imagine it would get too hot. You could wrap the hell out of it with insulation wrap and route the intake and filter out of the way to keep it out of the elements.

Have you guys tested the operational temps of the turbo as its back there?

~Bryce

A housing could be made, but I do not think it is necessary. While the turbo does get really warm after a long drive, it gets nowhere near as hot as it would in a front mounted application. After a drive I could put my hand directly onto the turbine housing itself and keep it there for a few seconds before having to take it off. On a front mounted turbo the instant you touch the turbine housing your hand is burnt. Big difference in operating temps.

So, basically, turbo LS can't see rain/snow or any bad weather. It can only be driven on "dry" days or something MECHANICALLY will break. (I am not talking about having traction issues as one can drive slower to be able to stop and turn in time. I've seen FWD, AWD cars and SUVs spin out, abandoned on the side of the road when I drove my LS in the same winter weather).
I take the "little snow" as in ALL snow plowed from the road and driving on a dry salt covered road in cold weather.
Am I right?
I am not familiar with turbos and don't know if they can get wet, or be suddenly covered in much cooler snow/water.

I do have the OEM springs to bring the suspension back to stock. Your location in IL makes it even more tempting (haven't checked the price yet ;), but I want to be able to drive it everyday, anytime. I don't think I can call in sick to work cuz there is snow/water on the road and still be employed there.

So, basically, turbo LS can't see rain/snow or any bad weather. It can only be driven on "dry" days or something MECHANICALLY will break. (I am not talking about having traction issues as one can drive slower to be able to stop and turn in time. I've seen FWD, AWD cars and SUVs spin out, abandoned on the side of the road when I drove my LS in the same winter weather).
I take the "little snow" as in ALL snow plowed from the road and driving on a dry salt covered road in cold weather.
Am I right?
I am not familiar with turbos and don't know if they can get wet, or be suddenly covered in much cooler snow/water.

I do have the OEM springs to bring the suspension back to stock. Your location in IL makes it even more tempting (haven't checked the price yet ;), but I want to be able to drive it everyday, anytime. I don't think I can call in sick to work cuz there is snow/water on the road and still be employed there.

Jesus man did you actually read what I wrote in my last post? Nothing mechanical with the turbo or anything associated with it is preventing the LS from seeing snow or rain. Heck, I drove it in the rain when I was testing it one day with no hiccups. The filter may be in the rear of the car but its location is still fairly protected from the elements. What I was saying is that I CHOOSE not to drive it in the snow as it is just not the greatest winter vehicle. I even noted that my choice for not running it in the winter did not have anything to do with the turbo. If a person chose to do so, they could run their turbocharged LS in 2-3" of snow and likely be just fine; especially if a little guard plate were covering the bottom of the filter. I do not consider running any LS in that deep of snow to be smart, but it is easily doable from the turbocharger's standpoint. I have a 4x4 vehicle so why drive a 2 year old open differential RWD luxury car in winter weather with nasty salty roads that kills paintjobs when I can drive the winter beater.

A turbo mounted near the manifold would certainly get much hotter - but wouldn't the rear mount get at least 500degrees - like the standard exhuast - right?

A question on your decision not to place on a BOV. I understand that in a straight line acceleration on an automatic you would have the unloading between shifts, but what about the constant on-and-off throttle? Some of my older turbos did not have a BOV, and you could hear the flutter when I was on the gas hard then quickly got off.

My (limited) understanding that having the pressure build up between the turbine and closed throttle plate will slow the turbo down (a little) and wear on the bearings a little more. Is that not correct?

A turbo mounted near the manifold would certainly get much hotter - but wouldn't the rear mount get at least 500degrees - like the standard exhuast - right?

A question on your decision not to place on a BOV. I understand that in a straight line acceleration on an automatic you would have the unloading between shifts, but what about the constant on-and-off throttle? Some of my older turbos did not have a BOV, and you could hear the flutter when I was on the gas hard then quickly got off.

My (limited) understanding that having the pressure build up between the turbine and closed throttle plate will slow the turbo down (a little) and wear on the bearings a little more. Is that not correct?

A remote mounted turbo might get to 500 degree's if it were on a hot day and just got done hotrodding the car around. All I can say is that I would go have my fun with the car and come home to park it. By the time I got out of the car and walked back to feel the turbine housing it was hot to the touch, but didn't burn my hand immediately like a front mount would have. Remote runs much cooler. By the numerous times I have put my hand into the exhaust stream to test for overly rich conditions with various vehicles I highly doubt the exhaust pipe near the back of the car is anywhere near 500 degree's except maybe on a hot day under constant and heavy acceleration.

Your understanding of the BOV is correct to an extent. A BOV is ran for a few reasons. One of which is like what you said. So that excess pressure is not built up in between the TB and compressor wheel of the turbo. In a manual vehicle when you get off the gas to shift the BOV opens and allows the excess boost to vent to atmosphere. That allows the compressor wheel (and of course turbine too) to freespool (coast) until the shift is complete and you are back on the gas. This allows the turbo to continue spinning at a higher enough speed so that when back in the gas you do not have to respool the thing all over again. A BOV becomes mandatory in a few situations. One is in a manual cars where you are on and off the gas all the time. Another is for a higher boost auto car. Low boost auto cars like mine do not really need a BOV because there is not too much boost pressure spiking in the charge pipe when the TB is closed. Less airmass packed into that space means there is more of a cushioning affect of the boost slowing the turbo down a bit rather than violently stopping the compressor wheel. Another point is that while driving in a auto car you usually do not go to fully closed throttle nearly as much as the manual car. A BOV in a auto car on low boost will not hurt, but it is not necessary by any means.

Jesus man did you actually read what I wrote in my last post? Nothing mechanical with the turbo or anything associated with it is preventing the LS from seeing snow or rain. Heck, I drove it in the rain when I was testing it one day with no hiccups. The filter may be in the rear of the car but its location is still fairly protected from the elements. What I was saying is that I CHOOSE not to drive it in the snow as it is just not the greatest winter vehicle. I even noted that my choice for not running it in the winter did not have anything to do with the turbo. If a person chose to do so, they could run their turbocharged LS in 2-3" of snow and likely be just fine; especially if a little guard plate were covering the bottom of the filter. I do not consider running any LS in that deep of snow to be smart, but it is easily doable from the turbocharger's standpoint. I have a 4x4 vehicle so why drive a 2 year old open differential RWD luxury car in winter weather with nasty salty roads that kills paintjobs when I can drive the winter beater.

I did read what you wrote. I just wanted to clarify that as not to assume everything that I am not sure about.
You see, I don't know if your definition of "little snow" is the same as mine. And saying "I am sure a little snow would not hurt it" does that mean that a lot of snow can hurt the turbo? Assuming "it" is the turbo or did you mean the LS? How am I supposed to know that you would rather drive a truck in winter?
Its hard to get a straight answer from both of you so that's why I am asking for every detail or "if" I can think of. (example: Quik posts his SC LS dyno numbers, but doesn't mention the amount of boost he was running, which is was higher than the assumed "safe" 5 PSI that can be used all the time and that went right passed me until someone mentioned that)
I don't see a point in keeping my LS away from rain or winter. I love the heated seats, heated wipers, auto wipers!

Don't drag me into this - I post numbers when I feel they are ready. I have posted more about my ups and downs than anyone - and taken a lot of crap over it. I certainly was not trying to mis-lead anyone - just happy with my runs.

The model of Lotus I own has a reputation of cracking it's manifold - as it gets hot and rain water hits them through the cooling vents and causes heat shock and eventually cracks.

I don't know how a turbo casing reacts to cool water - but there are alot of these rear mounted kits showing up. This is also something that Rocket will likely shake out in his trials.

ILLS -

Of all of the forums I've been in this has got to be one of the best and I've read quite a bit. You seem to be very knowledgable of the LS. Can you give a new dog some simple tricks on a Stock '04 LS V8 Sport. I remember the days with my '91 Mustang you could go to the local performance shop with a couple hund..to a thou, and get a pulley kit, change the mass air sensor, put in a K&N Air filter, some flowmasters, YOU GET THE POINT!!!

What can I do to my '04 LS in babysteps that will give me a little umphhh???

OH and by the way, the turbo work you did --- SWEET!!!!

I did read what you wrote. I just wanted to clarify that as not to assume everything that I am not sure about.
You see, I don't know if your definition of "little snow" is the same as mine. And saying "I am sure a little snow would not hurt it" does that mean that a lot of snow can hurt the turbo? Assuming "it" is the turbo or did you mean the LS? How am I supposed to know that you would rather drive a truck in winter?
Its hard to get a straight answer from both of you so that's why I am asking for every detail or "if" I can think of. (example: Quik posts his SC LS dyno numbers, but doesn't mention the amount of boost he was running, which is was higher than the assumed "safe" 5 PSI that can be used all the time and that went right passed me until someone mentioned that)
I don't see a point in keeping my LS away from rain or winter. I love the heated seats, heated wipers, auto wipers!

It is not my intention to get into any pissing contests in here but it is frustrating when you make statements that completely contradict what I just said. You posted "So, basically, turbo LS can't see rain/snow or any bad weather. It can only be driven on "dry" days or something MECHANICALLY will break." Those were statements, not questions. The funny thing is that your "questions" flip-flopped from your previous post. I understand that you want to ensure you have all information crystal clear here but you do nothing if you jump to conclusions. Just ask the question, don't assume an answer. That just gets confusing for everyone. The reason why you would know that I prefer to drive a truck in the winter is because I alluded to that in the previous post. I am answering your questions inn the best manner as possible. I gave you as straight of answers as I know how. Ask more concise questions....real questions... and you will have your "straight" answer. I am not out to play the coy game with anyone here. Once again from the cheap seats.....The TurboLS will take snowy roads (up to probably about 3") just fine from a turbo perspective. The TurboLS will be just fine on rainy days while driving too. The TurboLS will not fare well in a tornado, hurricane or tsunami... I hope I answered all of your questions sufficiently but if you need my VIN number or DNA sample please PM me. ;)

I don't know how a turbo casing reacts to cool water - but there are alot of these rear mounted kits showing up. This is also something that Rocket will likely shake out in his trials.

Right click and "save as" the link below if you want to see a video of how well remote turbo's do in cool water.

http://oi.b5z.net/i/u/1473169/f/Video/tacoma4.wmv

Now it is obviously a truck so the turbo sits a little higher, but I can assure you that puppy is getting drenched in that video! :cool: This is Rick Squires Turbocharged 04 Tacoma in that video there. Rick is the owner of STS Turbo and the big pioneer in the whole remote turbocharging approach. If he is not concerned with it on his own truck, and I am not concerned with it then that probably says something. No worries with the water on the turbo itself. Just make sure your filter is placed so that it doesn't suck up a puddle of water and things will be ok.

ILLS -

Of all of the forums I've been in this has got to be one of the best and I've read quite a bit. You seem to be very knowledgable of the LS. Can you give a new dog some simple tricks on a Stock '04 LS V8 Sport. I remember the days with my '91 Mustang you could go to the local performance shop with a couple hund..to a thou, and get a pulley kit, change the mass air sensor, put in a K&N Air filter, some flowmasters, YOU GET THE POINT!!!

What can I do to my '04 LS in babysteps that will give me a little umphhh???

OH and by the way, the turbo work you did --- SWEET!!!!

PM sent.

Suspension seems solid, do many people go to Eibach springs, lower the vehicle, add a spoiler, etc..? I don't see too much of a benefit driving on Long Island and in NYC (always sitting in traffic), but every now and then you get a clean stretch of road to let the pony's out, or a windy road to play on and put the stock Michelins to their limit.

Suspension seems solid, do many people go to Eibach springs, lower the vehicle, add a spoiler, etc..? I don't see too much of a benefit driving on Long Island and in NYC (always sitting in traffic), but every now and then you get a clean stretch of road to let the pony's out, or a windy road to play on and put the stock Michelins to their limit.

Hey bud, the reason I sent you a PM is so that this thread would not get congested with off-topic questions. It would be best if you either asked your questions via PM or started another thread. I advise to do a little snooping around here too. You can come up with allot of great info with just a little creative use of the search button.

Canceled post after I saw question was already answered.:blah: :headbang:

Don't drag me into this - I post numbers when I feel they are ready. I have posted more about my ups and downs than anyone - and taken a lot of crap over it. I certainly was not trying to mis-lead anyone - just happy with my runs.

The model of Lotus I own has a reputation of cracking it's manifold - as it gets hot and rain water hits them through the cooling vents and causes heat shock and eventually cracks.

Lou, you have received some crap on the supercharger you built. I give you HUGE kudos for what you have done. Your build is by far the best I have ever seen on an LS and I can't wait to see the numbers you produce on it.

Lou, you have received some crap on the supercharger you built. I give you HUGE kudos for what you have done. Your build is by far the best I have ever seen on an LS and I can't wait to see the numbers you produce on it.

Ken, if you take a look in the supercharger thread you will see that Quik posted some numbers in there on his roughly 9 psi pulls.

Piping

Is the stock ls exhaust able to handle the psi range that you're looking for? Just wondering if you had to put on a stainless/aftermarket exhaust to handle the extra pressure?

The boost in created on the intake side....

if you look at the installation pics - http://www.ststurbo.com/products - you can see how the systems are tied into the exhaust.

here is a mustang pic - >
05-GTTurbo-View.jpg

looks like stock exhaust up to close to the turbo - then all custom.

as Rocket said a more freely flowing exhaust will help.

Is the stock ls exhaust able to handle the psi range that you're looking for? Just wondering if you had to put on a stainless/aftermarket exhaust to handle the extra pressure?

Jayce, I would not have designed this if I didn't know both the existing and new components could take it. There is not a significant additional amount of pressure generated in the exhaust. Obviously it is increased but nowhere near what it would take tot rupture a pipe or blow an exhaust manifold gasket. If a person really wanted to use a much more significant amount of their stock exhaust, like in the Mustang GT system pictured above, then there would be no problem at all with it. You might lose a little bit of power, but if you happen to be a person that does not have hours and hours of time to dedicate to fabbing something very custom then it is an alternative to a full custom exhaust for the turbo system. Coated mild steel actually holds heat better than stainless does. Stainless is somewhat attractive but I usually prefer to make turbo systems out of mild steel for its heat properties and have it jet hot coated to really make it look top notch and also keep even more heat in the exhaust system.

I did go custom exhaust from the catalytic converters all the way back due to preference and also wanting to retain a fully functional dual exhaust system in the LS. The exhaust I designed is much more free flowing than the exhaust pictures of the S-197 Mustang GT pictured above. That S-197 GT still produced some great power for the boost though.

You really do need to send something into Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords... Both you and quik actually... this kind of stuff needs to get some attention nationally with fellow speed enthusiasts

This is the time of year where I really wish I still lived in the southern states. I miss having virtually year round racing conditions.

Members online

No members online now.
Back