Turbocharged Lincoln LS Build Thread...Pics and Vids Inside...

Tuning....

Well I decided to go a slightly different route with the MAFS. I was about 3/4 of the way through tuning the car and decided that I wasn't seeing enough resolution from the MAFS while at part throttle. I swapped to a different size intake tube and installed a Diablosport MAFia on the stocker MAFS. It has been running on the MAFia combo for three days now and I must say that the resolution that I was looking for is now there.

Thoughout the last 2 days I have been tuning the hell out of this car. I have probably tuned and retuned this thing about 30 times since. My theme here is to be EXTRA careful with the tuning because this engine is high compression. I did probably about 20 more pulls than normal to ensure everything was kept extra safe when tweaking here and there.

I had boost initially set at about 1.5 psi just to get things dialed in a little bit. Today I got the AFR's all dialed into 11.5 @ WOT from tip-in to 6,500rpm's. Installed the electronic boost controller this afternoon and started bumping boost up .5 psi at a time. The car is now up to 5 psi and everything is looking kosher. Keep in mind that this is track tuning, not dyno tuning so I do not have power numbers as of yet. The AFR's are good, no knock, and temperatures are looking within normal spec. Intake air temps are within 15 degree's of ambient at any given time.

Now that I had added the spark timing back in and raised the boost this car is becoming a different animal altogether. It sat you back in your seat pretty decent while on 1.5-2 psi boost. Now it really pushes you back into the seat and takes off.

Just a little update being that I had not added much to this thread lately.

Would your set up work on a 04 Thunderbird? Obviously its the same engine, but how about finding a spot for the intercooler or ducting.

Would your set up work on a 04 Thunderbird? Obviously its the same engine, but how about finding a spot for the intercooler or ducting.

I would have to take a look to verify that it would or wouldn't work.

Thanks for the update. I know that spring is (almost) here. You guys in the upper midwest had it pretty hard this year, and it's supposed to rain all week long. Cant wait to see you get 'er dialed in. Hope you can shoot some video and get it posted. Turbo whine is better than white wine. Good luck with your tuning.

Since STS is based here in Utah, would they be able to tune my car?

Probably not. STS builds turbo system's, they don't do custom tuning. Find a local reputable Ford tuner to handle your custom tuning needs when going with a custom turbo setup.

How is the transmission holding up to the increased power levels now that your running more psi and doing more WOT runs?

How is the transmission holding up to the increased power levels now that your running more psi and doing more WOT runs?

Just fine. I still have some tuning left to do with the car so final power has not been achieved yet. Once things are buttoned up I do not foresee issue arising with the transmission.

Well i don't think you have the power to dictate what and who says what on here. When i see it from a mod maybe i'll listen.
You started the thread, that does not mean you own it. I believe it belongs to the site.So why are you allowed and no one else? You went off topic like every body else did. Seems you jumbled up with a few of your own. Say please.I didn't. I responded to it, something i believe i can do. Until a mod tells me otherwise. Unless of course your a mod?

I cannot tell you what you can and cannot say but you bet your ass I can have your posts moved out of my tech thread. The moderators chose to sticky this thread for a reason. I am willing to bet it wasn't so your idiotic self could come in here and go on a patent law tirade. If you want to continue your little debate then do it elsewhere in your own thread not in mine. Or do you enjoy acting like a disrespectful punk all the time? I have asked you a few times to take this discussion elsewhere. You have chose not to respect my wishes so have fun dealing with the site moderation.

If somebody continues to fill this thread up with useless information they are gonna be kicked out!

If somebody continues to fill this thread up with useless information they are gonna be kicked out!
Please do it. It is getting harder and harder to get tech information with all this detour stuff being injected into a tech thread.:mad:

Listen, there are allot of us following this thread religiously, and we dont want the crap about the patent stuff...it takes away from the truly cool stuff going on with our cars!

I realize this thread has not seen allot of updates lately. I have been pretty busy with a few other bigger projects that take precedence over the TurboLS which are upcoming including another custom turbo build for a customer and a few other sizable projects too. Once those are taken care of then I should be able to dedicate more time to play with the LS. Then I can turn the boost up another 3 psi to the full amount of boost I plan to run with it and do some more logs to verify everything it still 100% kosher.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any updates now? It's been too long;)

During the other turbo build I redid my entire high pressure hotside of my system. There were a few items I wanted to revise to make the system better. I consider this the 2nd Generation turbo system now. Got it back from Jet-Hot coating a little over a week ago and then went on a business trip to Maine for a week. Just got back from there not long ago. Still got to get it all put back together. While it is apart I also am having the section of boost pipe coming from the FMIC to the TB powder coated a chrome type of finish. Should look pretty nice when it is done. After that I will retune the car. With the changes I made to the system chances are that it will be spooling a good deal sooner so I will have to dial my AFR's and spark back in again. Customer cars take precedence over this project so this has taken the back burner the last few months because I just haven't had time to work on it. Once the items I previously mentioned have taken place then I will be able to provide some more updates.

What are the measurements for the intercooler.. so it will fit?!

Yep, I fit pretty much the biggest FMIC in the front that is feasibly possible without doing any major cutting and reshaping down there. The measurements were 28"x8"x3.5" with 2.5" in/out.

Is any universal intercooler usable? or is it a certain kind. also i was wondering. does the type of turbo matter? or is it a must i get the garrett t04e 60 trim.

also is it needed for me to get the gt fuel pump. and the injectors. or do u think it will be okay with stock?

Is any universal intercooler usable? or is it a certain kind. also i was wondering. does the type of turbo matter? or is it a must i get the garrett t04e 60 trim.

also is it needed for me to get the gt fuel pump. and the injectors. or do u think it will be okay with stock?

Provided the FMIC allows enough flow to support the power you are looking to make (with the least pressure drop) then it doesn't matter which brand or model you go with. I do recommend that you double check the measurements of whatever FMIC you order. Make sure that when you verify size that you are looking for overall dimensions, not just core dimensions.

The type of turbo and its configuration is the most important part of it all. Get the wrong turbine wheel, turbine housing, compressor or so on and you might not like the results. Some of this results from user preference. Some owners may want great spool for the street but do not care about top end while others might not care about spool but want huge top end power. How the turbo is configured will have direct affect on that. The Garrett T04E 60 trim is not the only turbo option or viable manufacturer out there that will suffice well for the LS V8. There are other options but unless you know allot about turbos then I suggest that you place an order with a professional so that the math can be taken care of for you.

You will not be ok with the stocker fuel injectors, MAF, or fuel pump. These items are mandatory to upgrade to ensure proper fueling which in turn translates into your engine living. A good tune from a competent local SCT tuner is mandatory as well. No mail order tuning for a boosted app, especially one that walks a fine line like a boosted LS already running high CR.

Members online

No members online now.
Back