Turbocharged Lincoln LS Build Thread...Pics and Vids Inside...

ILLS

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
As you know, I had said a few months back that I was planning to do a custom turbo on the 2005 Lincoln LS this fall. Well I finished the build a little over a week ago and finally did some tuning on it and officially fired her up today. The custom progressive wet nitrous system I had on there has been taken off and the turbocharger system is on in its place. Here is the updated modlist for the car:

Custom Garrett T04E 60 Trim Turbo
Dual 3" turbo-back
FMIC
Tial 38mm WG
SCT Xcal2
Ford GT fuel pump
Cobra 39lb Injectors

I will be fully tuning it here shortly once I get a little more time to do the gauges and a little wiring that I want to finish up. Once it is fully tuned I will post a few driving video's. Sometime in the next few months I will probably be throwing it up on a dyno to see what it puts down for power. I plan on staying with 4 psi for the street and 6-7 psi at the track.

Here is the TURBOCHARGED LS BUILD VIDEO with a little Linkin Park mixed in.

Here is the INITIAL STARTUP VIDEO by itself.

The car sounds very mean while idling. Most normal computer speakers do not do it justice. I have tuned a few built 4.6 DOHC Mustang Cobra's in my day and in person it sounds extremely close to the exhaust note of one of them with an aftermarket exhaust. You cannot hear the turbo while at idle. Once I post a driving video you will be able to hear it though.

I will upload a few pictures of the build here soon as well.

Build progress pictures...

LS Turbo Project Pics 004.jpg

LS Turbo Project Pics 005.jpg

LS Turbo Project Pics 015.jpg

LS Turbo Project Pics 022.jpg

LS Turbo Project Pics Day 3-4 001.jpg

LS Turbo Project Pics Day 3-4 005.jpg

LS Turbo Project Pics Day 3-4 011.jpg

LS Turbo Project Pics Day 3-4 013.jpg

LS Turbo Project Pics Day 3-4 016.jpg

LS Turbo Project Pics Day 3-4 022.jpg

LS Turbo Project Pics Day 5 005.jpg

LS Turbo Project Pics Day 6 004.jpg

LS Turbo Project Pics Day 7 004.jpg

LS Turbo Project Pics Day 7 008.jpg

LS Turbo Project Pics Day 8 005.JPG

Finally huh? Looks good man, I can't wait to see it in action and see some numbers.

Finally huh? Looks good man, I can't wait to see it in action and see some numbers.

Once I got to it the build only took right around 1.5 weeks from start to finish. Sometimes other things were forced to take precedence.

Other than the intake difference between the 00-02 and 03-06, do you see any reasons that this would be more difficult on a 2002 and prior LS. Same question for the tuning aspect. more difficult, less difficult, or the same? After you tune, dyno, and post numbers, I will be emailing you for customer cost. Also this being your first LS, how many hours do you have in?

Other than the intake difference between the 00-02 and 03-06, do you see any reasons that this would be more difficult on a 2002 and prior LS. Same question for the tuning aspect. more difficult, less difficult, or the same? After you tune, dyno, and post numbers, I will be emailing you for customer cost. Also this being your first LS, how many hours do you have in?

The intake difference will be negligable. In fact a VERY nice tube can be mated right up with the LSK CAI tube for the Gen1's and be just fine. Off the top of my head I cannot think of anything that will be really different from each generation in reference to their ability to be turbocharged. I believe the Gen1 LS did have air entrained fuel injectors so that will have to be dealt with. I have not done it personally but that is likely to be as easy as a fuel rail swap from a Gen2 LS with maybe a few small extra's.

From a tuning aspect they will be similar too. There are some key differences when it comes to tuning between the Gen1 and Gen 2 LS. Some of which are: Slot-in MAF vs old style MAF, TBW vs regular throttle cable, and maybe a few others that I might be forgetting right now. If I think of any other key aspects that would extremely different from a tuning perspective I will update this post. Either way both Gen's are tunable for this stuff.

Please PM me or any answers to the other stuff you mentioned. I am trying to follow forums rules as much as possible being that I am not a vendor here yet.

Prototyping always take much much longer than every system after that. There is allot of design and redesign that takes place in that stage versus when a system has already been built for a vehicle. By my rough figures I probably have about 75 hours into the prototype.

Looks really good. based on your knowledge. Do you think the v6 LS could see a great improvement with a turbo kit. Or would it be a waste of time?

Looks really good. based on your knowledge. Do you think the v6 LS could see a great improvement with a turbo kit. Or would it be a waste of time?

A turbo would greatly benefit it assuming the engine and trans are in good operating order. Your cars have a few more initial options for a stronger built bottom end than the 3.9 V8's do. Any engine work on the V8 is bound to be one-off custom. Your V6 shares allot with other engines which would allow it to be built to hold some really good power. Even in totally stock form the V6 should hold to some decent power.

yes, yes, yes, HELLL YEA its about time some one did it, post some numbers and tell us how much will it cost us for you to do it for us........ and hurry up xmas is just around the corner.

I LOVE IT!!! and if they decide to make a turbo kit for the LS...COUNT ME IN!!!!

I LOVE IT!!! and if they decide to make a turbo kit for the LS...COUNT ME IN!!!!

I might do the occasional turbo system but it will have to be in person on a request basis. A pre-made bolt-in kit is not going to be in the works for many reasons previously stated in other threads and on other forums. Sorry for the news. There is another option available to you. PM me if you want more info on that.

i deffinetly want to see some dyno numbers...if its not around 400RWHP...i dont think i can justify it, even tho id REALLY REALLY like to be able too

cant believe i nearly missed it... congrats man, f'in awesome.

i deffinetly want to see some dyno numbers...if its not around 400RWHP...i dont think i can justify it, even tho id REALLY REALLY like to be able too

Sorry but I am keeping the boost lower. I do not want to push past 375rwhp for now. If more power is made than what I am looking for then the boost will be reduced. The turbo system easily has the capability to make 425-450 rwhp but I am not going to push the stock engine that far.

i used to own 2 fbody's. one was a bolt on 94 LT1 6 speed. just bolt on's and was making around 340 crank hp. the other was a 1987 trans am GTA, fully built engine, stall convertor, Lt1 heads/cam, LT1 intake. made around 430hp at the crank.

375RWHP is not a 100hp gain. these cars put down what like 210-220 stock to the rear wheels. so thats 155-ish gain to the wheels.

i could be happy with a 375RWHP LS

Anyone can do mustang mods... I give him props for doing what no one else has done. This is also a full custom modification, not some prebuilt kit that the 16 year old down the street can order on line and bolt on his mustang over the weekend. This should be faster than any other LS out there right now (unless cammerfe actually gives us some proof of his 700HP blown and sprayed LS), and that is what is impressive to me. To be the best in it's class.

Awesome job, man. Can;t wait for tax return time :D

Anyone can do mustang mods... I give him props for doing what no one else has done. This is also a full custom modification, not some prebuilt kit that the 16 year old down the street can order on line and bolt on his mustang over the weekend. This should be faster than any other LS out there right now (unless cammerfe actually gives us some proof of his 700HP blown and sprayed LS), and that is what is impressive to me. To be the best in it's class.

Awesome job, man. Can;t wait for tax return time :D

Though I do work on Mustang's too it does end up being too easy. It just isn't any challenge if all you have to do is bolt pre-made parts in. That is why I did the Kenne Bell supercharger plus many many many other crazy mods on the 4.6 SOHC V8 Explorer and also why I did the Turbo on the LS. Custom work is just too fun.

Wonder whose puts down more HP, QuikLS or ILLS?

A turbo is MUCH more efficient than a roots blower per pound of boost. Mine will make much more power and do it more safely. Don't get me wrong, Quik's project is admirable but facts are facts.

Members online

No members online now.
Back