Turbocharged Lincoln LS Build Thread...Pics and Vids Inside...

what about the mufflers and/or resonators?...

There are none. The turbo does a pretty good job of muffling the exhaust to a very tough but good sounding note. I could not be more pleased with the way the exhaust sounds in this car after doing the turbo on it.

I am sad, I like numbers. You will post dyno slips after you spin the rollers no?

Yes I will. The timing for when I finished the turbo system was not conducive to posting numbers shortly afterwards. I finished the system, tuned it, and the bad weather started setting in right after. The Illinois winter is to blame for that. I am sure that coming from Iowa you probably understand what I am talking about. In the springtime I will dig the car back out of its winter hibernation spot in the garage and drop the boost controller on it to raise the boost to 6 psi. Once I have rechecked the tune for the new boost level and fiddled with anything I might need to fiddle with then I will drop it on the rollers to see what it makes. :cool: If weather, and the terrible salty roads, permitted the car would have already seen the rollers a long time ago.

For sure, I hate midwestern winters for that reason. You know they keep racing all winter in the south....

Reasonable Expectations

Yes I will. The timing for when I finished the turbo system was not conducive to posting numbers shortly afterwards. I finished the system, tuned it, and the bad weather started setting in right after. The Illinois winter is to blame for that. I am sure that coming from Iowa you probably understand what I am talking about. In the springtime I will dig the car back out of its winter hibernation spot in the garage and drop the boost controller on it to raise the boost to 6 psi. Once I have rechecked the tune for the new boost level and fiddled with anything I might need to fiddle with then I will drop it on the rollers to see what it makes. :cool: If weather, and the terrible salty roads, permitted the car would have already seen the rollers a long time ago.

From a purely theoretical, math-driven basis, the improvement should approach forty percent. Subtract a little bit for pumping and frictional losses and something over thirty five percent is easily to be expected. I'm waiting with bated breath !!!
KenS from Ben's Place

From a purely theoretical, math-driven basis, the improvement should approach forty percent. Subtract a little bit for pumping and frictional losses and something over thirty five percent is easily to be expected. I'm waiting with bated breath !!!
KenS from Ben's Place

There are many more variables to calculating the power gains in a forced induction piston driven engine. Using the simple pressure ratio formula you described does not take any of these into account and thus is usually very inaccurate. I tend to use personal experience with how much power is generated per pound of boost. In most turbo systems running lower IAT's you will gain anywhere between 17-24rwhp per pound of boost. Some have gained as much as 26rwhp per pound but most average right about 20rwhp per pound. Even that does not take a few things into account but it is usually a better average estimate than then pressure ratio method. We will see.

Street Boost

There are many more variables to calculating the power gains in a forced induction piston driven engine. Using the simple pressure ratio formula you described does not take any of these into account and thus is usually very inaccurate. I tend to use personal experience with how much power is generated per pound of boost. In most turbo systems running lower IAT's you will gain anywhere between 17-24rwhp per pound of boost. Some have gained as much as 26rwhp per pound but most average right about 20rwhp per pound. Even that does not take a few things into account but it is usually a better average estimate than then pressure ratio method. We will see.

Your 20 hp per pound times 6 pounds would equate to 120 additional HP. That would seem to actually work out to about 43 % of the 280 advertised on the Gen 2. I'd certainly be happy with 120 on top of 280 if I were content with six pounds of boost. In fact, I believe that's just about perfect for daily driving. Once again we look to be in excellent agreement! Our major difference is that I will be using my car not only on the street but in a national racing venue. I'll try to set the blown record without the turbos---using just CH3OH and N2O---and then add the turbos to see how much difference I can achieve. :)
KenS from Ben's Place

Last edited:
Your 20 hp per pound times 6 pounds would equate to 120 additional HP. That would seem to actually work out to about 43 % of the 280 advertised on the Gen 2. I'd certainly be happy with 120 on top of 280 if I were content with six pounds of boost. In fact, I believe that's just about perfect for daily driving. Once again we look to be in excellent agreement! Our major difference is that I will be using my car not only on the street but in a national racing venue. I'll try to set the blown record without the turbos---using just CH3OH and N2O---and then add the turbos to see how much difference I can achieve. :)
KenS from Ben's Place

Ken your figures are a little off. You have to compare rwhp to rwhp. Not fwhp to rwhp. 240rwhp is about what an average LS is at with CAI and tune. Some see more and some see less so we will average it to 240 for this purpose. So 120 / 240 = .5 That indicates a 50% increase in power which is an appreciable difference from 35%-40%. No worries.

Yep Ken I will be happy with 360-375rwhp out of the LS just on the turbo and maybe shooting for 400rwhp for track days on meth if I do that. That is as far as I plan to go unless I really come into some money to justify rebuilding the bottom end of the engine and the transmission. By the sounds of your plans it seems as if you plan to be king of the hill once it is all said and done. That's good with me, I have my other "king of the hill" vehicle which puts TurboLS to shame. While we are talking about personal vehicles, here within 3 years I feel a Corvette front mount custom TT build coming on.

King Of The Hill

Ken your figures are a little off. You have to compare rwhp to rwhp. Not fwhp to rwhp. 240rwhp is about what an average LS is at with CAI and tune. Some see more and some see less so we will average it to 240 for this purpose. So 120 / 240 = .5 That indicates a 50% increase in power which is an appreciable difference from 35%-40%. No worries.

Yep Ken I will be happy with 360-375rwhp out of the LS just on the turbo and maybe shooting for 400rwhp for track days on meth if I do that. That is as far as I plan to go unless I really come into some money to justify rebuilding the bottom end of the engine and the transmission. By the sounds of your plans it seems as if you plan to be king of the hill once it is all said and done. That's good with me, I have my other "king of the hill" vehicle which puts TurboLS to shame. While we are talking about personal vehicles, here within 3 years I feel a Corvette front mount custom TT build coming on.

I have learned much and continue to learn from your postings. You've done a fabulous job of your engineering. It's simply that our purposes are not quite the same. I DO intend to be 'KING OF THE HILL' but the hill I have in mind is the plethora of 'ricers' and others to be found on the streets in Metro Detroit. Here in the forum we're all 'family', but locally, on the street, many are simply little wannabes with a six inch exhaust outlet. However, others have done significant improvement. It's my intent, therefore, to demonstrate that 15+ PSI of boost and 3 digits HP of spray utilizing NH3OH all going into a 32 valve V-8 is more than they bargained for. Beyond that is my motivation regarding Land Speed Racing. I'll address that on my thread in the High Performance section, "Land Speed LS".

KenS from Ben's Place

hello to everyone . ILLS great work by the way i hope you round here. i was curious in some things about this turbo charge ls. first of all id like to ask you how much did you spent doing this? and what parts did you use to make it because we all know there is no turbo kit for this car and also las and more important question is it worth doing all this job? id say horsepower gain with about 8lbs i dont want to push my engine. appreciate your help

Ben's Place

What is Ben's Place?

'Ben's Place' is the casual name for Invictus Engineering, a fabricating and engineering firm that does independent contract projects for Jack Roush and other professional racing operations. He has been my friend for many years and is very willing to help my various projects. In return, he can count on me for an extra pair of (semi-skilled) hands when necessary. I'm proud to be involved with his operations.

One thing that's drawn us together is that I write magazine articles regarding automotive performance projects (such as my land speed racing)---he writes books relating his activities. He says that they are all made-up stuff, and then he says to use your own head to decide what to believe. He is a very violent man, living in the suburbs of the most violent Metro Area in the country. I know for a fact that he always carries a .45 !

You can read about NASCAR racing, Outlaw high-dollar street racing, and he says that his next book will have some stuff about racing my LS and the car we're building to supercede it. Each book also tells about other activities.

You can google 'Benjamin Garrick' to look for his three books:
1. Detroit: Spring Gold
2. Detroit: Summer Blue
3. Detroit: Autumn Red

Searching for 'Invictus Trust' or 'Invictus Engineering' is likely to lead you to his website. I can arrange for signed copies of any of his books. PM me. For more information about Land Speed Racing an LS, see my thread 'Land Speed LS' in the High Performance section of the forum.
KenS from Ben's Place

hello to everyone . ILLS great work by the way i hope you round here. i was curious in some things about this turbo charge ls. first of all id like to ask you how much did you spent doing this? and what parts did you use to make it because we all know there is no turbo kit for this car and also las and more important question is it worth doing all this job? id say horsepower gain with about 8lbs i dont want to push my engine. appreciate your help

Thanks. Sorry, I do not release detailed parts breakdowns of the system except to customers. You can get an idea of some of the parts I used from my signature line though.

It is definitely worth it if you want a fairly fast LS.

I expect around 360rwhp from about 6 or 7 psi boost. I believe running 8 psi to just not be safe enough to run in a daily driven LS.

Thanks. Sorry, I do not release detailed parts breakdowns of the system except to customers. You can get an idea of some of the parts I used from my signature line though.

It is definitely worth it if you want a fairly fast LS.

I expect around 360rwhp from about 6 or 7 psi boost. I believe running 8 psi to just not be safe enough to run in a daily driven LS.

what do you mean by when you say only to customers? also how much would it cost me? i mean if you sell a turbo kit i will buy it from you somebody i can trsut

what do you mean by when you say only to customers? also how much would it cost me? i mean if you sell a turbo kit i will buy it from you somebody i can trsut

pretty sure he not just "selling a turbo kit" mach up, fabrication, tuning and intercooler could take weeks.. you'd most likely have to frieght the car to him.. i'm not speaking on his behalf, but i would imagine.. as for price, expect a large down payment, and a larger install fee.. but its worth every penny if you were to ask me :D

pretty sure he not just "selling a turbo kit" mach up, fabrication, tuning and intercooler could take weeks.. you'd most likely have to frieght the car to him.. i'm not speaking on his behalf, but i would imagine.. as for price, expect a large down payment, and a larger install fee.. but its worth every penny if you were to ask me :D

If anyone is curious about this system they can always email me. I am not a vendor here so I do not really feel right talking about pricing or other specifics in the forum.

lol i guess then i will turbo my sis corolla :p

Members online

No members online now.
Back