Turbocharged Lincoln LS Build Thread...Pics and Vids Inside...

I wanted to upgrade to used S-Type R or 08 WRX STI, but this is interesting.

How much would it cost to do it to mine?
I live by O'Hare. I would love to see it and get a ride.

Not to Far...

ILLS, I don't live to far from you. Up in Detroit.
I have a 2006 LS. Are you at the point to where you can quote a price to do our cars? If so can you send me a private message?

Thanks.

ILLS, I don't live to far from you. Up in Detroit.
I have a 2006 LS. Are you at the point to where you can quote a price to do our cars? If so can you send me a private message?

Thanks.

I prefer not to do any business on this site as I am not a vendor here yet. Please email me with any questions you may have and we can talk offline.

hey i want to do that and the 2 local custom shops arent taking me serious how much would u or whover did that charge for me to drop the car off and come pick it up tuned and ready to run? i already have a tuned sct xcal2 in the car.

An unbiased opinion

Back several posts, ILLS made a key statement. He said, "I am a perfectionist."

Now take that statement, and put it in the context of this thread. He's working on an engine that is stock internally. It has cast pistons and sintered rods. That means that the pistons are marginal for more than about 400 HP which is the output of the 4.2 Jag R engine that is a close relative of the 3.9. The sintered rods are 'forged' in the sense that they are heated and pressed. However, they don't start as a rod blank, but as a handful of granules of ferrous material like a double scoop of sugar. Though a wonderful way of making a production part, they are far less than optimal for performance applications.

The T04 turbo he's using will likely make more than twenty pounds of boost in his application. And the engine design will quite easily take the 600+ HP he'd get from doing so. But the pistons and rods wouldn't take it for long. Perfectionists don't waste an engine just to make a number.

JMO;)
KenS from Ben's Place

Now take that statement, and put it in the context of this thread. He's working on an engine that is stock internally. It has cast pistons and sintered rods. That means that the pistons are marginal for more than about 400 HP which is the output of the 4.2 Jag R engine that is a close relative of the 3.9. The sintered rods are 'forged' in the sense that they are heated and pressed. However, they don't start as a rod blank, but as a handful of granules of ferrous material like a double scoop of sugar. Though a wonderful way of making a production part, they are far less than optimal for performance applications.

The T04 turbo he's using will likely make more than twenty pounds of boost in his application. And the engine design will quite easily take the 600+ HP he'd get from doing so. But the pistons and rods wouldn't take it for long. Perfectionists don't waste an engine just to make a number.

JMO;)
KenS from Ben's Place

You are absolutely spot on. A perfectionist is a bad person to have as a boss, but a great person to have doing work for you.

Is the turbo in the rear?

How reliable is THIS application for an everyday driver? (snow, ice, rain, you know.. what you can have on the road everyday on the way to work.)

Do you have plans to engineer this so it would work for a daily driver, if no is the answer for the previous question?

I love my LS, but I want something with more power. If the LS can have more power and be a daily driver I would rather keep it than getting a different car. Also, I don't want the LS to become a trailer queen.

JMO;)
KenS from Ben's Place

So the THINGS you mention are the same in the LS and supercharged S-Type R and that is why they can take 400 HP and be reliable?

If LS can have 400HP and be reliable, its good enough for me.

Now take that statement, and put it in the context of this thread. He's working on an engine that is stock internally.

Yes, because heavens forbid that someone build a motor that is actually affordable, reliable, and reasonable.

Being a perfectionist and being someone who wants to spend a tremendous amount of money don't necessarily have anything to do with each other.

Also, do not forget, one of the greatest turbocharger engineers who ever walked once said "don't rush off to the forged piston store."

Your comments are very valid -- forged pistons and better rods could make all the difference in building a huge power beast. I don't think that ILLS intentions are to make a huge power beast. And, being a perfectionist doesn't mean that you are required to build a huge power beast. It just means that everything you DO do should be perfect ;)

Yes, because heavens forbid that someone build a motor that is actually affordable, reliable, and reasonable.

Being a perfectionist and being someone who wants to spend a tremendous amount of money don't necessarily have anything to do with each other.

Also, do not forget, one of the greatest turbocharger engineers who ever walked once said "don't rush off to the forged piston store."

Your comments are very valid -- forged pistons and better rods could make all the difference in building a huge power beast. I don't think that ILLS intentions are to make a huge power beast. And, being a perfectionist doesn't mean that you are required to build a huge power beast. It just means that everything you DO do should be perfect ;)

It does in my book. Why build a combo and tune it to a level that makes it volatile and wasteful of a good stock engine? Doing that is just being wasteful for the sake of being wasteful or making a number one time on the dyno and that is it. Heck, I could throw the LS on the dyno tomorrow with the boost controller turned up to 20 psi and rip off 600+rwhp for one or two pulls (assuming the fuel system and MAFS were up to the task). It would hold together for a bit, but not long. People who are cavalier like that just to make a number are usually that way with their customers cars too. They take risks at their customers expense. That is bad business and definitely not the level of service I offer. In that way I view it as being a perfectionist because I am testing the vehicle to its reasonable usable limits because that is what my people will want as well.

I already have a big power beast that is only going to get more powerful this winter so that tends to take the brunt of my performance aspirations. The LS is not intended for that just yet. However, there is a possibility that I will build a custom bottom end for this car, have the trans built by Level Ten and turn the wick up to 15+psi and lay down some mid 11 second passes. That is all tentative at the moment based upon other shop vehicles that I may purchase in the near future.

Sorry but I am keeping the boost lower. I do not want to push past 375rwhp for now. If more power is made than what I am looking for then the boost will be reduced. The turbo system easily has the capability to make 425-450 rwhp but I am not going to push the stock engine that far.

So the power YOU are looking for is 375RWHP?
Am I interpreting this right?

So the power YOU are looking for is 375RWHP?
Am I interpreting this right?

I am looking for 360rwhp. If I hit 375rwhp then I will probably turn the boost back down to stay at around 360rwhp until I complete a long term test and feel confident enough in the LS engine to possibly push further. I am doing this to ensure that things are kept as safe as I can make it on the stock bottom end.

Sounds good.

How would you define a "long term test"?

I would define that as a good solid month on the road and in various cruise, load and acceleration conditions. Unfortunately, that it totally dependent on the weather agreeing with me; which is highly unlikely this time of year. The kind of testing I am doing is something that cannot be performed on a regular dyno with accurate results. I will do the winter testing, probably throw it on a dyno to satiate people wanting a "result" in number form and then put it away to focus on a much bigger and much more important vehicle project for a while. Then when the weather gets warm out again I plan to break it out for summer testing in the conditions a vehicle like this will normally see to ensure things are still perfect and of course take it to the track with the intent of hitting 12's with it. Proper custom tuning does take different weather into account, but there can still be small X factors that may come into play when tuning a blown combination which is why I take my tuning on any yet to be proven combination methodically. Overcautious??? Absolutely! ;) But the end result will be worth it.

Honestly I feel confident in the combination in its current form to allow other people the opportunity to do something similar. I am just very particular with my personal vehicles which is why I do so much testing. As a business owner I also owe it to my customers to do that.

Just Wondering

TO: ILLS
I've noticed around here somewhere a comment by you that leads me to believe that you look on the 6 cylinder engine as having a better 'bottom end' than the V-8. Am I correct in this assumption? If so, why? Thanks!
KenS from Ben's Place

@ILLS - exactly. Anyone can make 1000hp for one pass, ha!

Can't wait to see the final results, though. The build is impressive so far.

TO: ILLS
I've noticed around here somewhere a comment by you that leads me to believe that you look on the 6 cylinder engine as having a better 'bottom end' than the V-8. Am I correct in this assumption? If so, why? Thanks!
KenS from Ben's Place

The DOHC 3.0 V6 in the LS's have a forged steel crank from the factory and also share allot of parts with various other Ford, Mazda, and Noble engines. While they may or may not be stronger directly from the factory it is my personal belief that the V6 will be easier/cheaper to build for higher power due to what it all shares with other vehicles. One drawback to the V6 route is the transmission. To my knowledge the V6 trans doesn't have much in the way of aftermarket for the trans. Hopefully I am wrong in this. The 3.9 V8 does have a full build available for their transmissions as they are brethren to the S-197 Mustang, and 02-05 Explorer transmissions already being rebuilt by Level Ten to hold 700+hp.

I thought the v6 tranny was the same as the v8? If not which one does the v6 cars have

Sorry, big brain fart. For some reason I was thinking of the M5 V6 tranny, not the auto. Oh well, it happens.

Let's hope that brain doesn't fart out during tuning:p

Was that meant to be a shot at me or purely just a joke? I know that you put a smiley afterwards, but your statement had a very sarcastic tone to it. Well, as much tone as a person can decipher while looking at text.

The car is already more or less fully tuned anyways. I am past that and into testing phase now with the smaller WG spring.

Members online

No members online now.
Back