Turbocharged Lincoln LS Build Thread...Pics and Vids Inside...

^a race is the only way to tell(and take videos). jk. not really.

If that car is ever in my neck of the woods something could be setup; at the dragstrip obviously. ;) I doubt that would ever happen, but the offer is out there.

thats great man! mad props. now im keeping this car for sure and using that 4k down payment for a lil boost.

This has seriously made my day! Great job on this project! Keep us informed on how tuning goes, etc!

Did you have a blow-off valve anywhere?

A BOV is more critical in a manual transmission application. Its function is to temporarily vent unmetered boost to the atmosphere while getting off the gas and shifting the transmission. What this accomplishes is allowing the turbo to freespool (coast) so that when you get back on the gas you are already spooled.

Having a BOV in an auto trans vehicle is not necessary because when the car shifts our foot is still firmly planted on the gas pedal which is keeping the throttle blade fully open and allowing the air to still rush into the engine. Eventually I might install one, but that is in the future.

Quik's is setup for autocross I think. But I'd love to see what 1/4 mile numbers yours puts down.

How long do you think the engine will last, this has to severly decrease engine life right? Even if it's a modest amount of boost it's still a small 3.9 engine.

Second why a Garrett turbo specifically? What makes that special that you chose it?

And third what is the gas mileage like with a fuel pump out of a 5.4L car and 39lb injectors?

Im not pretending I know anything about any of what your doing. I'm just interested in all this, trying to learn. Beleive me I have an extreme amount of respect for you for doing this. Not only that but Quik's project is going on like 2-3 years now and there is no way all that custom work will ever be manufacture in a kit and we still haven't heard numbers, just the supercharger whine. You manage to put together a working kit in under a month or two? And show numbers, and possibly have it ready for manufacture within the next decade.

You manage to put together a working kit in under a month or two? And show numbers, and possibly have it ready for manufacture within the next decade.

I talked to Rob the day the car went up in the air, stopped down the 2nd or 3rd working day and talked to him several times during the rest. I had the pics right after they were taken:D. From going in the air to start up was a few days more than 3 weeks but I know he did not work on it for nearly a whole week after the dirty stuff was done and did a few days work on a Customers vehicle near the start. Probably took a days break a few times too. I'd say it was done in under 2 weeks technically.

Bravo.

The neat thing about the remote mount turbo is that there isnt a whole lot of rediculous custom work. Im guessing most of the time was spent on plumbing and tuning.

Cant wait for some driving vids. The only thing I didnt like about the remote mount is the positioning of the air intake without more tubing. any plans to reroute that away from any possible debris or water? Into the fender, etc?

Quik's is setup for autocross I think. But I'd love to see what 1/4 mile numbers yours puts down.

How long do you think the engine will last, this has to severly decrease engine life right? Even if it's a modest amount of boost it's still a small 3.9 engine.

Second why a Garrett turbo specifically? What makes that special that you chose it?

And third what is the gas mileage like with a fuel pump out of a 5.4L car and 39lb injectors?

Im not pretending I know anything about any of what your doing. I'm just interested in all this, trying to learn. Beleive me I have an extreme amount of respect for you for doing this. Not only that but Quik's project is going on like 2-3 years now and there is no way all that custom work will ever be manufacture in a kit and we still haven't heard numbers, just the supercharger whine. You manage to put together a working kit in under a month or two? And show numbers, and possibly have it ready for manufacture within the next decade.

Orvided the tune is safe the engine should last a while. The displacement of the engine has zero bearing on its potential life when boosted. I already have a race vehicle so I plan to take it easy on this one. It will be tuned safely and should last a while.

Garrett is one of the best and highest quality manufacturers of turbos out there today.

Gas mileage should be just fine with the Ford GT supercar pump and the Cobra 39 lb injectors. As long as the A/F's are good to go and I am not stomping on the gas then it will get similar mileage to stock. Just a liiiiitle bit worse, but nothing huge. Now obviously when I stomp on the gas my gas mileage will decrease significantly, but I am not on the gas pedal that often.

Update:

Tuning- Did some tuning today. The part throttle and WOT A/F's are dialed in. Right now I have it set to only hit 2 psi of boost. Even on that low of boost and with tons of spark timing pulled it still pulls pretty hard. The turbo spools real well. If I have time tomorrow I might add a little bit of timing back in to see what it does. To be honest usually all the timing pulled (for safety reasons) while tuning will make even a 700 hp vehicle feel like a dog. Not really the case here. ;) I am looking forward to getting this boost setting dialed in and then slowly adding more boost from there until I am satisfied while still safe.

Exhaust Note- Today was the first day I went over 1/4 throttle with it. I made about 15 WOT pulls, 5 of which were actually during tuning and the other 10 just for personal enjoyment. The sound is VERY respectable. Great combo of aggressive exhaust sound and turbo whistle. I did a little tuning on a friends built, blown, cammed 01 Cobra this last summer and I am surprised at how similar the exhaust sound is between the two engines.

Lookin' good, man. Lookin' good!

What's out there for the STS as far as keeping the air filter from getting soaking wet on a daily driver? Custom shield, box, etc.?

Lookin' good, man. Lookin' good!

What's out there for the STS as far as keeping the air filter from getting soaking wet on a daily driver? Custom shield, box, etc.?

There is a filter shield that goes for $35. Another option is the Outerwears Drycharger "sock" that goes over the filter itself to keep water and debris away. That retails for $29.

Tuning- Did some tuning today. The part throttle and WOT A/F's are dialed in. Right now I have it set to only hit 2 psi of boost. Even on that low of boost and with tons of spark timing pulled it still pulls pretty hard.

You had to pull tons of timing on 2psi with the A/F dialed in correctly? Is the reason due to the 3.9s high compression ratio?

You had to pull tons of timing on 2psi with the A/F dialed in correctly? Is the reason due to the 3.9s high compression ratio?

No, no, no... I pulled tons of timing because that is what you do to keep a motor safe while dialing in the AFR's in such a different combo. Once the AFR's are dialed in then you add the timing back in. Retarding the timing like that while dialing the AFR's in is the safest way to keep things together and the heads from lifting if a little too lean when creating a totally new MAF Transfer function from scratch. Though the AFR's are dialed in I am still in testing phase so I am not planning to add the timing back in till I feel comfortable that everything else is perfect. I could likely add it back in right now and be fine, but I am a perfectionist. ;)

This is awsome!!!! I can't wait till this all done and can see about doing this to a V6. This is HOT!!!!!!

Are there any Pros or cons to a remote mount turbo?
You'll probably want to shield that before too long to keep the heat from melting your bumper. :p Ive always leaned more towards a Turbo than a Blower as the best way to add power. They're easier to hook up, make better power when tuned properly, and turbos just sound so cool once you get them spooled up. Great job man!

Are there any Pros or cons to a remote mount turbo?
You'll probably want to shield that before too long to keep the heat from melting your bumper. :p Ive always leaned more towards a Turbo than a Blower as the best way to add power. They're easier to hook up, make better power when tuned properly, and turbos just sound so cool once you get them spooled up. Great job man!

There are always pro's and con's to any route taken in the performance world. Remote mounted turbos are no different. I will post 3 of each; but the list is surely not limited to just what I post here.

Pro:

1) Much higher boost cooling affect due to longer intake tube and undercar (cool area) location thus decreasing need for IC and increasing power made per pound of boost.

2) Turbo mounted out of engine bay allowing more room underhood to work on the engine without having to pull the entire turbo system. Keeping the turbo out of the engine bay also keep heat down significantly which increases the lifespan of various underhood components.

3) Being remote mounted will allow certain vehicles to be turbocharged with much more ease than if a front mount system was attempted. The LS does fall into this category as a vehicle with very little extra room in the engine bay to put a turbo. I have taken measurements and it is doable, but just not practical from a benefits to labor standpoint.

Con's:

1) Slightly more spool time than front mount; though when sized properly this is not really a problem. The turbo system I designed spools very quickly.

2) Turbo is slightly more exposed to elements. This is not very critical with street driven vehicles but becomes more important with vehicles taken offroad and into water hazards.

3) Some people like to see a turbo in their engine bay and prefer a front mount so that they (and others) can see what they have when opening the hood.

I do this stuff for a living. I believe I am able to determine if a turbo is too close to a bumper that would cause heat issues. Heat issues like what you mention were thought of and taken care of long ago in the pre-planning stages of this build. Comments like that are not really required here. That would be like Joe Schmo giving sword fighting tips to a Samurai...just not needed.

Turbo's are usually not easier to install than a blower. A centri blower you just bolt on usually in about 8 hours; a turbo requires more work digging into the exhaust in addition to allot of other items which can take up to 16-20 hours even for a kit. However, if you are referring to both being fully custom installs then the blower can rate high in the metal fabrication area just like a custom turbo too but even then it is a totally different kind of metal fabrication. The centri needing mounting bracketry (water jetting or CNC machining) and some intake ducting, the turbo needing custom exhaust work and intake work (allot of custom tubing mandrel bends and welding). And of course if you do a custom roots or twin screw blower then the name of the game is a custom fabricated lower intake manifold which obviously requires allot of work. All have similarities and all still have their inherent differences. My advice given if a person would want to go with a turbo, a centrifugal supercharger or a positive displacement blower is more based upon their intended use, the vehicle which they intend to use it on and what kind of power they are looking for rather than sheer peak power. Turbo wins hands down from a peak power standpoint; but that is not the end all be all of peformance uses for a vehicle. Different strokes for different folks.

Members online

No members online now.
Back