Sapperfires 93 blue on blue progress thread

its cold today in texas suppose to snow too.lca are going to wait on me

Well we canceled the k-member job. It want below freezing (was 75* yesterda) with a constant 20-25mph wind and rain. With the wind chill its in the 20's. Its too damn cold so we set her back down and are waiting for next weekend. Its too cold for me to even do my ASHAM install. It really sux. :(

Wuss go buy some tarps. And make a shield. I have a garage to do my LCA and I still don't feel like it. Just bought tires and can now install the new rims

It's not that my car isn't washed, the entire thing got detailed with an Emory cloth by the previous owner, it needs a paint job that I can't afford... Gonna try and buff most of the scratches out... One thing at a time... I should probably start my own progress thread ... And the 10 spokes win hands down

Ouch. That's a shame... I love that color. Hope you can get it buffed out...

Those 10 spokes are my fav stock Mark rim. Makes the car look so much better. if you were closer id say take it here we will see what we can do with the paint

Bad weather rolled in and put us on hold until next weekend, extra things to expect in the future now include drilled and slotted rotors and new strut bar bushings

to support the eng remove the alt and put the chain on the 2 lower alt bolts on the front of the block

It is cold in Texas and I am enjoying mid 70's. Life is good.

Well today Sap decided to tackle his beast and bring her back to her former glory.... man what a bitch.
This weekends projects are to swap the K-member, change the oil pan gasket, change the oil cooling jacket gasket, swap the shocks, swap the struts, change power steering hose and do an oil change. Of course things never go as planed on these cars and she decided to throw us a couple curve balls.
The rear strut rod bushings are shot but fortunatly he thought ahead and bought a set before coming out here to BFE. The can not being happy with no parts store runs decided that it would reward us with a broken engine mount. :( Any of you that have had to replace these before know the joys of trying to locate one anywhere. Fortunatly I located a parts store that had one and it was only 52 miles away. :lol:
So we are no back after the journey of getting it and will resume tomorrow.

Here she is back up in the air and us multitasking by working on both cars at once.
IMGP0971.jpg

Thanks for the alt idea!
IMGP0972.jpg

Here you can see just how messed up his cradle was. When I removed the front brace it almost shot off like a spring.

IMGP0974.jpg

These may be worn out, not sure.

IMGP0976.jpg

One of the many leaks that will be addressed, the infamous power steering line leak. Im sure 50% of us have had to deal with this leak.
IMGP0984-1.jpg

Just a nasty mess but soon to be nice again.

IMGP0988.jpg

And the oil pan leak:
IMGP0998.jpg

Finnaly lowering the cradle:

IMGP0990.jpg

And the old with the ...... well, old.

IMGP0992.jpg

Just a shot of the inside. Oil pickup was clean but engine shows signs of early on poor maintenence. Did a couple back to back oil changes to clean it out and shes getting refilled with Synthetic. Engine runs like a raped ape so I am sure shes fine.
IMGP1002.jpg

Fuggin failed mount. :mad:
IMGP0999.jpg

And $100 and 104 miles latter:
IMGP1011.jpg

Next up was the struts. PITA getting the dang spring compressor in there.
IMGP1007.jpg

IMGP1008.jpg

And all pretty:
IMGP1009.jpg

Both rear shocks were completly blown and the rear shock mounts were shot. Also one shocks lower bushing was about gone.

IMGP1014.jpg

FIRE FIRE FIRE!!
beavis-fire-heykobe.jpg

a-1.jpg

IMGP1015.jpg

Pull that dipstick out before you put the pan back on! We forgot when we did the one on my 95 and it sounded like a bunch of angry midgets with mallets in there. Turns out the dipstick got tangled up in there on the crank. Was a major PITA getting it out. Just a heads-up just in case.

I'm really diggin' that blue color. That's not your old car is it?

Looks good. Those spring compressors are my worst enemy. I just used mine the other day.

Pull that dipstick out before you put the pan back on! We forgot when we did the one on my 95 and it sounded like a bunch of angry midgets with mallets in there. Turns out the dipstick got tangled up in there on the crank. Was a major PITA getting it out. Just a heads-up just in case.

No, my old car was a LSC.... and green..... and a second gen. :lol:

So back to work today. Just got the oil pan cleaned up and new gasketed and got the motor mount in. I will update as I have time.

IMGP1016.jpg

i was gonna say that too

erics new eng 46.jpg

erics new eng 47.jpg

So I assume you didnt check the oil level after re-filling it and starting it? :(

Onward and upward! Quick front strut pic:
IMGP1020.jpg

Swapping the cooling jacket gasket:

IMGP1018.jpg

The motor mount from hell! The top nut would not move. I had it in my vice and a half inch drive 18mm socket on it and snapped the shaft on the wrench. :(
Impacts couldnt take it off and I used a propane torch on it too. Gave up and had to cut it off:
IMGP1026.jpg

Then the other side nut was free spinning cause the motor mount was beyond shot. Had to cut the case apart so I could clamp it in the vice again:
IMGP1028.jpg

Look OK?

IMGP1031.jpg

While Sappre was getting the gaskets and hoses in I worked the k-member over. Cleaned it up and then swapped the few month old tie rods on to the new/old rack and pumped out the old fluid out of it. I also gave him a set of poly sway bushings and greasable mounts that I had laying around and we discovered something interesting. May be common knowledge but I didnt know, his 93 front sway bar is 1/16" smaller then my 97 or 98s is. So I guess I did a minor upgrade and put my 97's front bar on it with the new bushings. Should help her out a bit.

IMGP1021.jpg

Now this was a cause for concern, he was pissed cause he thought his block was cracked. I went under there and looked and am pretty sure its a casting mark but figured I would check anyway. So is this a crack or just normal? Its by the second crank lobe and on the drivers side.

IMGP1022.jpg

Almost done! :wrench

All cleaned up and hopefully leak free:

IMGP1034.jpg

Tried plan A of getting it back in but that didnt work out well. He took a nap.
IMGP1036.jpg

So we resorted to jacks.

IMGP1037.jpg

And finnaly its in there. :wrench

IMGP1038.jpg

great progress guys, looking good, fyi, if you ever need them again i have a mountain of really nice motor mounts!!

No, my old car was a LSC.... and green..... and a second gen. :lol:

Blue, green, whatever. They're all the same to a color deficient person like me :lol: For some reason I thought the other car you had was a 1st Gen. My bad, though. I shouldn't post things when I'm cross-eyed tired lol Regardless, I dig that color even if it's chartreuse :p

So I assume you didnt check the oil level after re-filling it and starting it? :(

Nah man. I put in however many quarts it needed before starting it, started it up to check for leaks and it was like BANG BANG BANGBANGBANG BANG lol The car was a beater/daily driver so I didn't really care too much. :D

My hats off to you sir. I love to see people working on their own stuff.

Members online

No members online now.
Back