Sapperfires 93 blue on blue progress thread

Sure, people with C heads.

Got her under and then stabbed in. With any luck we will have it fired in a few hours. :)

IMGP0047.jpg

IMGP0049.jpg

damn thats crazy one motor from the pull yard turned into this wow u 2 are amazing LOL nice write up and laser ready to see up dated pictures from ur car bro ive been readin only these 2 threads from start to finish when i can

Well its in!!

IMGP0052.jpg

To focking bad it dont run. Its 5:17 local time and Sapperfire has to be at work in under 2 hours. He lives over an hour away so I loaned him my Mark VIII........... I trust him more then anyone I know but thats my baby and still will be worried about it.

Anyway we got it started but it was running for chit. I couldnt tell if it was a fuel or spark problem cause it sounded like both. I got under the car and we fired it again and I could see there was not much of anything happening on the passenger bank. I know we have fuel and spark. The plugs were saturated on the passenger side though so we swapped in new ones. Still no go. The engine can start onts own and idle but its rough. Real rough.

When the engine was brought home I knew someone had been in the passenger head and am pretty sure it was replaced. Too domn clean compared with the rest of the motor. I know the passenger side head does run a little cleaner but this head looks almost new inside. No oil staining at all, zero.

My guess is that the timing was not set right and that the intake cam is a couple degreea retarded. It gets an occasional fire but not much. I am gonna pressure test it after I get up to see if I can verify this thought. I will keep you all posted.

At least it looks good :) He must be an awesome friend, my Marks not much yet, but I don't even let me wife back it out of the driveway.

Thanks for the progress pics

Its just a car.
I am sure Sapperfire will treat it better then he does his own car.

Sucks it runs like chit.

Ton of work for a junkyard motor.
Hope its something simple just missed after a heavy thrash.

Its just a car.
I am sure Sapperfire will treat it better then he does his own car.

Sucks it runs like chit.

Ton of work for a junkyard motor.
Hope its something simple just missed after a heavy thrash.

It's just a car, it's just a house, it's just this, it's just that..........

I guess when you tie up a precious commodity like time into a project, you get somewhat attached to it and would really hate for someone to destroy it in a matter of seconds. I'm sure Sap will take care of it

It's just a car, it's just a house, it's just this, it's just that..........

I guess when you tie up a precious commodity like time into a project, you get somewhat attached to it and would really hate for someone to destroy it i

Its a dam car.
It don't matter what you have tied into it.
At the end of the day...its still a dam car.

Its not like he took his wiener.

i retract my statement ford ur right but we all are differnet about our cars

yeah..... well...... your a doody head :shifty:

That's Mr. doody head ! :p

I was just brought up a little different, was taught the "you can't have nothing nice" rule at a early age.

When you put all your blood sweat and tears into a car, and you start to obsess over it...that is when the dumb ass in the pinto comes along.

I just hope he doesn't check tread depth on these tires...oh wait!

Ok, so I need to find out if a Gen1s FIs fire by bank, or is there a seperate driver for each one
I'm having the thought that perhaps they are grounding out and staying open too long...my wiring harness is OLD..and very brittle ( as all Marks) , Bill rewrapped the harnesses, maybe there's a break in a wire that we can no longer see...I would rather check all that instead of tearing the motor back apart just to find that both cams are flat at tdc

Go for it! Prolly wont change the fact that the drivers bank has 75 psi on all four cylinders and passenger has 0.

They fire by individual drivers and yeah...0 compression sucks..

So today got a head gasket, going to drop the motor back out, install the gasket on the old motor, and swap over all components

Doing a head gasket is more sensable than a valve job
there is now a lower end for sale, the lower end is clean, still has the cross hatch marks in the cylinders

need to grab a Teflon ring for the PS pump....wiggling a 10mm for 15 mins on 1 bolt is just plain madness

Sucks man.

Having a DD down blows.

Can you get anything back from the boneyard.
Are you convinced the valves are bent?

I would think you would see the damage on the pistons.

Well hell. Sapper ordered the head gaskets and already has the cam locks so I guess its on! First time I get to tear into and put back together a Modular 4V. :D
Done a 2v before and rebuilt a few old 302s so I consider this a kind of treat. :lol:

Got the other motor on the stand and will clean it up on the outside and then strip her down. Gonna be under the gun here cause I have a Cobra getting dropped off tomorrow that I have to work on and then get this motor together. Hate to see Sapper and his kids have to walk around everywhere. :(

IMGP0052-1.jpg

IMGP0053.jpg

Sucks man.

Having a DD down blows.

Can you get anything back from the boneyard.
Are you convinced the valves are bent?

I would think you would see the damage on the pistons.
Locking cams and replacing head gaskets is easier then pulling the heads on the other motor to inspect for dammage and then trying to degree all four cams.
Its a little bit of a black art and nobody wants to share how to do it. There is also the cost of the tools needed to do it. Dont get me wrong, I will do it at some point but I have to have Travis call me next time his shop does one and pay him (seriously) to let me watch. Show me once and I can do it forever.

Me and Sapperfire are trying to get our own shop going and I wanna specialize in Modulars. I know them foreward and back and all I need to learn is how to time the cams. :)

i hope you got new head bolts for that head when you pull it off. those are Torque to Yield bolts, only supposed to use them once.

Members online

No members online now.
Back