Project Headlight (pics)

ford nut, behind the first gen housing the header panel can be modded easy to allow for extra depth with a dremel etc...

ok speaking of headlights, im gonna have mine out tomorrow. how do you even remove them? do you have to take off the bumper cover or anything?

ford nut, behind the first gen housing the header panel can be modded easy to allow for extra depth with a dremel etc...
Is there enough room to slide the light in and out if the light was .250 wider in the back?
Its been a while since I played with a gen 1

ok speaking of headlights, im gonna have mine out tomorrow. how do you even remove them? do you have to take off the bumper cover or anything?

No you can leave the cover on.
Gen 1 just pull the goofy clips and disconnect the wires and then pull out.
Gen 2 screw on the side, two screws on the top disconnect wires, pull out.
Simple to do.
:cool:

The yellow lights are 3000k hid's fog/driving lights. I do have a set of 6000k bulbs to match the headlights but I like the look.
The projectors in the low beam side and are true bixenon with.the servo on Tue cutt off shutter for high beam.
I've had so many people look at the car the last few days and ask what it is; it is rediculous.
Anyone who looks at it in the parking lot says "you're going to get pulled over with tinted headlights"
After they get close the usual response is " that's awesome, wanna do mine?"
I get called up to the desk this evening and a guy asked me where I got them? When I told him I made them; he said I was full of chit and called me a liar!!? What the hell is with people?
I had to give him the boot out of the store when he started to.get loud, he was driving a blue gen 2.

Sounds as if o' dude's attitude kept him from finding out if he could get his done, or even the opportunity... You probably wouldn't piss on fire to put him out now, huh? LOL! :D

is that why you painted the inside black ? why not leave it mirrored?

I was going to paint the housings the body color but the factory had 3 variants in my paint code. It had to be painted or the vacuum mold for the projectors would have had to been chromed.
Could be done but im just not big on chrome plastic.

well i guess ill put a pitchur up of my work, although its fall less cool than the initial posters. a $20 3m kit, an afternoon later and waalaa:D

2011-11-05 17.43.27.jpg

Seriously thinking about a set of these but without the fog lights and with angel eyes and chromed or silver housing, ESP on my blue mark then throw the temple bumper on....could be a nice aggressive setup. I'm subscribed.

i need a set of the OP's headlights without LEDs...how much?...who do i need to exterminate?...lol just playin'...or am I???

Seriously thinking about a set of these but without the fog lights and with angel eyes and chromed or silver housing, ESP on my blue mark then throw the temple bumper on....could be a nice aggressive setup. I'm subscribed.

IMHO, chrome on plastic just doesn't last. The factory chrome on the housings is so thin if you rub it to hard with your finger it comes right off.
I cleaned every bit of it off the housings with soap/water and a scottch brite pad.
Like i said before, color match to the body would be a good option to the black. Silver paint maybe if you had to have it.
I have thought about opening these up, removing the led strip and doing a set of angel eyes.
Once you drive it with the fog/driving lights you wouldnt want to go without them.
I'm in duluth tonight but when i get back I'll post some night shots as promised.

how are these holding up to the use and abuse of the road? I'm in the process of fixing a set for myself based off your design.

IMHO, chrome on plastic just doesn't last. The factory chrome on the housings is so thin if you rub it to hard with your finger it comes right off.
I cleaned every bit of it off the housings with soap/water and a scottch brite pad.
Like i said before, color match to the body would be a good option to the black. Silver paint maybe if you had to have it.
I have thought about opening these up, removing the led strip and doing a set of angel eyes.
Once you drive it with the fog/driving lights you wouldnt want to go without them.
I'm in duluth tonight but when i get back I'll post some night shots as promised.

the angel eyes, are they the same as halo's? like the bmw? what r the diff. ive got one cracked light now, and custom bumper/ bodywork coming i want to do the eye thing, what manufacturer should i look at or did you use?

Halo/angel eyes are the same. Ccl or cfl rings, what ever they call them.
The led strips I put in mine are ok but a couple of the leds have gone out, dont think they liked the cold in the early fall.
Where ever you get them make sure they have a warranty on all the parts, the halos have been known to fail; not the ballest but the ring its self. You have to get the mini projectors in order for them to fit.
Retrofit.com has great service and products, they dont use any factory seconds.

Halo/angel eyes are the same. Ccl or cfl rings, what ever they call them.
The led strips I put in mine are ok but a couple of the leds have gone out, dont think they liked the cold in the early fall.
Where ever you get them make sure they have a warranty on all the parts, the halos have been known to fail; not the ballest but the ring its self. You have to get the mini projectors in order for them to fit.
Retrofit.com has great service and products, they dont use any factory seconds.

i just went on a site with projector lights carid but looks like they only had the whole assemblies not bulbs and ballasts, you used retrofit ill go checkem out

That's who I'm looking at using for mine. 97markJA how did you get the reflector back into the housing? I just painted he housing with the reflector out and tried to put it back in but the mounting point on the back of the reflector broke when I pushed the adjuster back into it. I'm not with the lights right now but if you need pics I'll get some tonite.

The adjusters only go on one way. One has 3 ears on the end and the other has two. If you had the rods swapped I think the shaft size is a little diff from one to the other. You push them part way in and fold the ears of the adjuster back over the rod then turn the rod a quarter turn. If you broke the adjuster off the back of the housing you might be able to epoxy it back on.
Pics would help.
But yes I pulled the reflector out of the housing.

That's who I'm looking at using for mine. 97markJA how did you get the reflector back into the housing? I just painted he housing with the reflector out and tried to put it back in but the mounting point on the back of the reflector broke when I pushed the adjuster back into it. I'm not with the lights right now but if you need pics I'll get some tonite.

r u talking about the orange reflector?

Here is what I've got so far this is way I broke trying to put the main reflector back in.

6ddb1c37.jpg

7a6adda3.jpg

8dc1756e.jpg

1ab1eab5.jpg

And yes I forgot to pull the diffuser over the turn signal, but it is now done.
Yes I did paint my mower willow green with the leftover paint from painting the bumpers on the 95

unless your reusing the stock hid, you dont need the reflector even now that its painted black it has nothing to reflect off of.he used projectors. looks like youll have to epoxy if you plan on using it. the retrofit halogen to hid's dont use reflectors either, at least theonesi looked at.

those are the ball sockets that allow the reflector to pivot on the adjuster shaft. the shaft has 2 orings on it where it goes through the housing, when I did mine I put new orings on and put electrical grease on them.
you'll need to unbolt them and get new ones, maybe out of a junk housing. I dont think those can be fixed.

Members online

Back