Project Headlight (pics)

How much are you going to charge when enough of us ask for them? :D I have a set of housings ready to roll. Even have a spare 1st gen headlight around here somewhere. :cool:

I wouldn't know where to start on charging. It's time consuming waiting for everything to dry and working a real job.
They don't give those projectors away and I've only found one bixenon projector that fits. The fog light is a little longer than the projector but smaller in diameter so it fits well in the highbeam side.

I do know why these headlights leak. The epoxy they use drys out and cracks, it also separates from the plastic housing.
The adjusters have two orings on the shaft that also dry out and fall apart.

If you decide you're up to the challenge, I'm down for a pair. :D There is no way I could make these on my own.

I can work up a parts list and cost if anyone is really interested, it will take me a couple of days to put it together. You would need a set of housings with the bulb holders for all the marker lamps and the covers for low/high beam. You would also need to check the lenses for fractures, usually the happen infront of the high beam side.
If you shine a light straight down the lens from the top you will see them. With projectors in there you would really see them.
I imagine once you add up all the cost for the goodies a lot of people will shy away from it. HID's projectors, led's, and supplies.
It adds up quick, but I do like them.
I'll try and get some night shots tomorrow when I close down my building.

I'd do the project if you did a complete write up! Hell I'd pay you to do the work over the winter if you do decide to do these for others I'll be first in line!!!

What projectors did you use? I retrofitted my Saturn SL1 with FX-R's. I figured projectors would look good on a second gen, and that was correct. Perhaps they would look good on a 1st gen as well...

Looks good. I really actually like the contrast of the color of the car and the chome. works well together.

What projectors did you use? I retrofitted my Saturn SL1 with FX-R's. I figured projectors would look good on a second gen, and that was correct. Perhaps they would look good on a 1st gen as well...

I used the blazer driving light and the mini H1 projector, the H1 is the only one I could find that would fit. Could be others that would work.

Cost.
Projectors $165 + shipping
Led's $45
HiD kits $80 + shipping. If you already have ballest for a set you would just need the bulb and another complete set. It would save about $20
Plexi $40
Supplies if you don't have any about $50 (wire, paint, all the fun stuff to put it together)
An option would be halo's on the main light for $30 + shipping.
By the time you add in the shipping you're looking at around $445 or so without any labor or the cost of housings.

If you were going to do it yourself you would need an oven, vacuum box, power supply or battery, heat gun, dremmel etc... And a lot of patience.

Head on over to elk river so I can see them in person
And meet the man behind the creativity .

I'd do the project if you did a complete write up! Hell I'd pay you to do the work over the winter if you do decide to do these for others I'll be first in line!!!

There are tons of videos on youtube on how to do it, better than any write up.
If someone does this>>
Do not bake the Gen 2 headlight! to get it hot enough to release you will warp the housing.
When you jig it up do it in the housing, not the reflector by its self, and if you can set the projectors while the housings are in the car even better. This will account for any variances in the mounting of the housings.
Make sure the reflector is set to a neutral position with plenty of room to travel both directions.
If I did it again I would try and find a die to fit the tail (bulb mount area) on the blazer projector so i could fit it with a beveled stop and a nut to mount in the factory bulb mount.
I think thats all I would change. that way you would be able to adjust the cut off line horizontally and up/down independantly.

Now I gotta find another set of LSC housings!! I want that!!!...LEDs on the bottom only tho

Right now I'm figuring up a wire/switch so I can run both my cornering lamps without the use of the blinker...really need to be able to light up the sides of the roads out where Bill lives... Comacazi critters hide in the weeds

I also have something in the works with a Plastics place here in town, guy is tryin to make a mold of the side lense to make it clear like the LSC headlights

The LEDs would look stupid in gen one housings cause the light is so skinny. Projectors dont look right for the same reason.

An awesome job may I say!!

Can I ask how you got the front lenses off the housings so clean?

Andy.

An awesome job may I say!!

Can I ask how you got the front lenses off the housings so clean?

Andy.

Sledge-Hammer.jpg

dude you could make a killing if the parts are available and a lot of people want this done. thats a really cool thing you came up with, i've never even heard of that being done, besides those ricers slapping the led strips under the lights, but inside, the way you did it is really good. start a headlight business :)

You should get ahold of an aftermarket headlight company and sell them the idea. Tell them you have a dozen buyers or more already lined up!!

Members online

No members online now.
Back