Project Headlight (pics)

I didn't think they could be fixed. Just adding the grease allowed the ball to go back in without breaking? I was considering boiling them to soften the plastic ring and freezing the ball end with the idea that the cold ball end might go in a little better.

unless your reusing the stock hid, you dont need the reflector even now that its painted black it has nothing to reflect off of.he used projectors. looks like youll have to epoxy if you plan on using it. the retrofit halogen to hid's dont use reflectors either, at least theonesi looked at.

See post 7 4th picture down. The whole reflector is used to mount the projector in. This is done so you can adjust the head lights up and down and right to left. I have some ideas on how to do the projectors individually.

I mounted the projector in the reflector.
I see what you are saying about the adjuster.
I didn't pull mine out like that, I took the bolts out and left the ball in the socket, Even the one with no adjuster on it, I drilled a hole in the back of the housing and took the bolt out; the others I just gave the rods a turn and popped the adjuster clips off the back and pushed them out of the housing.

You only have to drill one hole that lines up with the bolt on the one with no adjuster.

exactly how did you get the lens to come apart from the housing without messing anything up? & how did you reassemble it? :confused::cool:

exactly how did you get the lens to come apart from the housing without messing anything up? & how did you reassemble it? :confused::cool:

Heat gun, putty knife, And a lot of patience!
Getting the headlight apart isn't that bad, if the car has been in the heat most of its life be careful around the corners, they will be brittle.

^^^^true story ^^^^
I used the oven set to 150 heat for 5-6 min then remove and pry away once it cools off or the lens is not coming off very easy put it back in the oven for a few min. Repeat till the housing and lens are separated.

i never heated mine when i replaced the lens last year, i just used different tools awl, jewelers screwdrivers or small flatheads and tapped them apart. took about an hour. next time ill use heat.
keatonsdad and 97 mark one question, actually 97mark i know you replaced the reflector with projectors, once the inside is painted (looks like flat black, not gloss any reason?) if you are reusing the stock hid's with reflector doesnt it now have nothing to reflect off of?
i know with the directional being amber or orange youll see it, but how does the inside being black affect the hid's? the aftermarket halogen to hid conversion kits dont use reflectors at least the ones ive seen.

You don't paint the reflector. The rest of the chrome is just for looks.

2012-01-19_20-00-23_439.jpg

-Alan

Ok thats clearer, I didn't paint mine and it doesn't look like keatonsdad painted his since he had the whole high/low beam reflector out. I am honestly not sure if you still need it or not though. Mine work just like they did stock as good or bad as that may be.

-Alan

Here is what it will look like with the projector in place I'm still eating on the projector for the high beam to show up. When its done you won't see any of the chrome it will all be covered with acrylic and painted black like the rest of the housing.

63588d72.jpg

what you are referring to I believe is called the deflector its pourpouse is to keep the HID lamp to from blinding oncoming traffic the inside of it is actually flat black it reflects NO light what so ever being flat black.

I just read through all of this thread. Great job to everyone. Especialy OP.

I've always wanted to do something like this and now that I see it done I wonder why I haven't tried it yet.

I followed and understood just about everything, except for one thing. How did you get the housing for the projectors to look so...awesome? It looks like a factory job!

I built a sandwich frame for the sheet of plexi, built a vaccum box (box with a hole in the top where you mount what ever you want to form and one in the side to connect a shop vac) mount your fixture, bake your plexi, turn on vaccum, slap your sandwich framed plexi down on the vaccum box.
One vaccum formed product, trim to taste, paint. Boom... You're done
Repeat until you are happy with the outcome.

Here is what it will look like with the projector in place I'm still eating on the projector for the high beam to show up. When its done you won't see any of the chrome it will all be covered with acrylic and painted black like the rest of the housing.

63588d72.jpg

what you are referring to I believe is called the deflector its pourpouse is to keep the HID lamp to from blinding oncoming traffic the inside of it is actually flat black it reflects NO light what so ever being flat black.

so the projector will be low beam, are you going to reuse the stock high beam?

The projector is a bi xenon it will do both hi and low. I'm also adding another projector that will do only a hi beam so I will have a total of 4 projectors 2 will be on for the lows and all 4 will be on for the hi's

I did the bi xenon for low/high and a driving light projector. I have a set of bulbs to match the color temp of the bi xenon and a set of 3k (yellow) I really like the look of the yellow at night with both on.

Warning pic whoring!!

Little update on my build got the projectors mounted I'll be making the vacuume box tonite to do the accrylic (sp?) tomorrow!

a47fe5b9.jpg

a9d01c1f.jpg

0204de8e.jpg

5df14052.jpg

7aa35ded.jpg

dd28885d.jpg

9e765363.jpg

98f6055f.jpg
6e1572d7.jpg

deb554d8.jpg
da9691f7.jpg

They are in no order as I'm posting this from my iPad

dude were gonna have to meet up sometime. especially when you get those headlights done. looking forward to seeing how this ends up

I love this guys. If my car wasn't so worn out and in ned of so much other stuff in priority I'd be on this. Every time I look into an upgrade I see a repair that would be a smarter choice. Still better than a car payment. Awesome work you guys, one day I'll be copying you, or having one of you do mine for me.

Members online

Back