Kenne-bell told me they would'nt sell it, so I'll make one myself.

My guess is that the tooling cost for the casting molds and machining fixtures is going to approach $50,000. Then you would need to add about 1 hour of machining time @ $150/hr plus the casting and handling cost. I think you are going to be north of $500 based on a 500 piece run.

My guess is that the tooling cost for the casting molds and machining fixtures is going to approach $50,000. Then you would need to add about 1 hour of machining time @ $150/hr plus the casting and handling cost. I think you are going to be north of $500 based on a 500 piece run.

I guess that's why KB won't make it.

I like your idea on the Tuners kit from KB, any idea on the cost?

Um, no. The feasability issue is present, but that's determined by interest guaged and my ambition level.

I'm not familiar with the tuners kit, I'll have to look that up and see what you mean ... and Roadboss, not trying to sound disrespectful. I realize if I were to start from scratch or go pay some shop to do these it would cost a fortune. I have 2, maybe 3 other options than just calling someone I don't know and saying I want these made.

An option: Tork Tech Manifold

Been lurking here and finally wanted to add something. Don't think anybody has said anything about Tork Tech. They make a manifold to use the M112 charger used.
The big advantage as I see it is the runners are separate bolt on pieces and they are coming out with new ones to change their 2v GT kit to a 3v for about $350.00.
They do manifolds for inter-cooled and and non both. I can't do anything right now,
so I won't contact them, but some options could be: see if they will make new runners for the B-head; a machine shop make those pieces new; or a porting service fill in the 3v port and then report them for the B head. Modifying would have to look closely at injector location.

Here's the link to the update http://shop.torktech.com/54l3-valveupgrades.aspx

Some of the other considerations that are both +- are the forward placement of the drive belt to run directly off of a crank pulley. It requires a hood scoop on Stangs.
We may not need it if the nose is shortened.

Just my 2cents.

Dan

97blue LSC

Those adapters you posted a link to are to adapt the 4.6 manifold to work on a 5.4. The reason they are needed is the 5.4 has a taller deck height, so the heads are spaced farther apart, so you need a wider intake manifold. Those adapters are not intended to adapt one style head to a different style intake, just to space everything properly so you can use his setup on the 5.4. There would be no way to apply them to adapting a C head intake to B heads.

You are right about the ones on the top. If one looks lower and really goes through their website you will see that there are these new side manifolds that they sell separately to change their old setup for 2v heads to the new 3v heads with the side manifolds replaced for about $350.00.
My point was that if they can keep the manifold et all the same between 2V and 3v heads it should be able to have those same side manifolds made for the B-heads. They or somebody here. There would be nothing needed to be custom made except the side manifolds. Looks like to me, but of course I may be wrong.

They sell different level of kits depending on how much somebody needs to buy vs. what one can come up with elsewhere.

Dan

FYI Price Comparison on 3 Valve whipple intake

I was looking to install a Eaton on a set of 3 valve heads I pulled off a wrecked 05 GT. Whipple quoted me $1050 for the lower cast intake that the Blower sits on. This is an aluminum casting with CNC machining for the bolt holes and injector ports. The intercooler that sits below the blower is about $350....it doesn't include the pump from teh coolant. the pump is probably a $40 part.

I showed a local machine shop the Whipple intake I have on my 07 gt and asked him the best way to make the part. His feedback was it depends upon how many units you plan on selling. Someone posted above saying $50,000 for a casting....that's not too far off. My machine shop guru said teh best bet would be to look at making a mold with a one off out of a polymer and then possibly do a resin/Al spray onto the mold to strenghten it and then machine it.

He said it would probably take 2 to 3 molds to get it right....and said it would be about $2000 a unit for the prototype and about $1000 their after.

I've decided to putz around with some foam and plexiglass and attempt to make a model using the 3 valve intake and seeing what machining would be needed to marry that to the mark heads....

If I don't have too many beers and stayed focused it may take a few weekends.

At $500 I would even pre pay to secure getting one BUT I would need to see it on a car with all the issues worked out. I am not into fab but if someone says "Heres the adapter, now go have the blowers snout cut XXX amount and then make this bracket to move the alt over 1/2" " then I could deal with it.
I dont want to slap it on and find out theres a screw up on the injector port so it leaks under WOT pressure and dont want to deal with belt alignment issues. I still like the idea of running a dual crank pully and an extended tensioner setup and having its own belt but I realize that will cause a whole slew of other fitment issues.

At $500 I would even pre pay to secure getting one BUT I would need to see it on a car with all the issues worked out. I am not into fab but if someone says "Heres the adapter, now go have the blowers snout cut XXX amount and then make this bracket to move the alt over 1/2" " then I could deal with it.
I dont want to slap it on and find out theres a screw up on the injector port so it leaks under WOT pressure and dont want to deal with belt alignment issues. I still like the idea of running a dual crank pully and an extended tensioner setup and having its own belt but I realize that will cause a whole slew of other fitment issues.

I have been talking with some mustang guys about this.

One guy has used an eaton off a lightning and made his own adapter plate for the B head lower, and it's working. Problem is clearance. Big issue with doing that.

Bill, the concern with running a seperate pulley setup is the stress added to blower snout and crank pulley. That and the added cost of extra tensioner pulleys. We have discussed this also. Machining costs are not attractive either.

I should be able to mold a manifold that allows the blower to set further back, allowing us to use our current pulleys, and a similar belt routing as the existing KB 2.1L? system for the B heads. Problem with this is belt slip. The guy with the adapter is running into belt slip. Might have to purchase a pulley system, and in this case we may as well keep the blower in line with our current system to avoid added stress/complication.

I have yet to see if we can move the blower back enough to do this. I'm vaguely working into figuring this out.

And everybody, those figures on casting these are way too high. I have a couple guys to speak to, and I should be able to offer these at 500/pc. No :q:q:q:q, not joking, not telling stories. If we can't cast them, they're not worth our time.

All ideas are welcome.

Chris

$50 bucks for his CAD and the first manifold free, then 1/2 and 1/2 on anything over cost.

It's a done deal if he wants to do it. Free manifold and half the profits.

Call it the 'SharkTank' or whatever. :rolleyes:

I'm a little P'O'd this thing isn't moving forward.

It's done. Just do it.

...Dragon's Den is the better show.

But I just didn't want this post to get lost in the cross-talk.

that sounds like a decent idea to me. and welcome to the forum zmt325. hope you enjoy yourself here as much as you will enjoy your car :)

Is there any more going on with this project?

No there has'nt.

The 94 now has an 03' Marauder long block with an 04 Mach intake on it, negating any b headed hardware.

Bryan,

I'll sell you ALL of the prints that I have saved on my PC for this, and want to give the 1st prototype to Brent. He has already invested a considerable amount in parts, and I feel that his car is a worthy recipient for a unique setup like this.

I am currently without a phone, but will put my new number up here and will want you guys to text me your numbers so I can build my LVC contact list again.

Thanks guys.

Mike

I was able to talk to a good buddy of mine that owns a fab shop (www.postiveride.com). I told him what was going on with this thread and he told me that if I had the design he could tell me exactly what it would cost. He also told me that he could not see how or why it would cost $20K to start this like several have said. I am very confident I could have a prototype made up for someone.

As stated before..... I am no longer putting effort into this thing. I have (for once) gone the easy route and switched to C heads.

I need to talk to Brent about what I have going for him, but I'm not pushing this ANY further. Bryan has been yelling about how he wants to take the ball, but all I hear is crickets when I offer to pretty much give him everything.

This is a good example of another mess I'm trying to avoid. 150 people say "I'm In!!!!" When it comes down to put up or shut up..... 98% shut up.

Mike

hey i was thinkin......would it be better to make a centrifical kit? i dont know much but it seems to me that a nice centi like a procharger would be easier, possibly cheaper, and still make plenty of power. slap me if im wrong

i like the centrifical idea because of the "lag" and the strong pull all the way up to a great top end power. it would compliment a cobra intake nicely. plus be easier to intercool. alot of us will probably be running gears/converter and dont have much of a need for low end power anyways. who wants even more tire spin?

just my 2 cents

I think it should stay because some one is going to want to read the whole thing without going thru search. Besides you just never know what can happen.

My.....

Times change.

This project is back on. I ordered a few chunks of aluminum to get one of these off the ground. I NOW have access to a CNC converted bridgeport, and the lathe needed to make the shorter driveshaft.

I hope to make chips fly in a couple weeks after I get the program wrote.

Mike

Members online

Back