Kenne-bell told me they would'nt sell it, so I'll make one myself.

94m5

Dmaup's Daddy
Reaction score
The title obviously got your attention because your reading this.

What I am about to send off for machining is a custom intake manifold to adapt an Eaton M112 to a B-head intake pattern. Where the Kenne-Bell setup retains the IMRC's, this replaces the whole damned thing. I'll have to modify the snout of the S/C to line up with the VIII belt system, but that's a small issue. I have already converted my VIII to an 8-rib belt system (courtesy of my 99 V10 F250), and hope that with a double tensioner I'll have no slippage issues.

It'll be run on my 150K mile long block at around 9-10 PSI, with methanol keeping it cool under boost. The nice thing about using the Eaton bolt pattern, is upgradability to whipple later on down the road.

Anyway, this is the preliminary design. I'm having it machined out of ABS plastic for mocking up everything, and once everything is right, T6061-T6 will be the final material.

[captianjacksparrow]What say you?[/captianjacksparrow]

Forgot the damned pictures.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

I don't know yet.

The other nice thing about this is.............Mount height.

Taking the IMRC's out of the equation means the whole thing will sit around an inch lower than the K/B setup. We will see what kind of hood issues we run into.

Mike

this awesome are you just have one built for yourself or are you have a small run built to sell some to people. if so tell us the price when you know cuz i would be very interested in buying one!

Just curious about something, why would you have to modify the snout? Since you are making the whole thing from scratch, couldn't you just mount the blower where it would line up properly with the MarkVIII belts?

Good luck with the project. Not many are that ambitious.

Similar in concept to the KB open plenum design. Not that there's necessarily anything wrong with that, it is very forgiving under boost.

Watch the inlet radius to diameter ratio on the intake ports and try to keep any protrusions away from any port as much as possible. If you can get the inlet radius to port diameter ratio down to about 0.15, that'll be about as good as it can get with a flat bottom open plenum.

Just curious about something, why would you have to modify the snout? Since you are making the whole thing from scratch, couldn't you just mount the blower where it would line up properly with the MarkVIII belts?

he's got a point there mike, If it takes a custom snout length i guarantee you kb won't help. even if you have to move the eaton back some, you can prob clear the cowl if it sits lower.

The clearance problems at the hood are focused around the front end of the SC (pulley diameters). If I remember correctly on Gen ll the hood issue was resolved by lowering the cross member 1.25" or so. The Gen 1 hood was even more of a problem. I wish you well on your project, it should be popular.

Got you thinking with my project eh?

I might be able to get one of these machined for teh chEap!11!

Let me know

I will buy one too!! I would love to bolt on an eaton. They are on ebay all the time for cheap!
Let us know how much.

im interested would love to run an eaton on the mark and make it as fun as the cobra... i take it you plan on running this on the 94? let us know how this little project goes for you could be fun for a lot of us...

Why not take advantage of the second port to run either another injector or use it for nitrous ports?

I am worried about sitting the blower too far back and running into interference issues with the cowl. Modifying the snout would'nt be hard at all.

Bryan,

As far as the fuel injection is concerned, The square port is ideal because of the injection cut out already supplied by Ford. I have already modified the original drawing by reducing the diameter of the internal injector boss to increase intake crosssection on the square ports.

The nice thing about using Billet T6061, with a thick base, is the ease of drilling and tapping for jets for various things.

But you could build a boss into the oval port now as a tool-safe provision. As I look at your cad, people would have to weld material on to create a boss for those ports. I would include the option of those bosses as a free bonus. IMHO. Guys could always mill out the boss if they wanted to clear up the port. The way it is now, the 'b' heads have way, way sufficient port volume.

I use Bohler Uddeholm for my steel when doing tooling. You should give them a call to get a quote on square stock. They can blanchard cut it to +/- .020 with milled edges and ends. The reason KB didn't do the 'b' heads was he couldn't incorporate the innercooler underneath it and make it fit. The problem with the 6061 as I see it is going to be the huge heat sink the manifold will become.

You really need to make provisions for the inner-cooler imho. I think guys would endorse a cowl-type hood if needed to get the cooler.

It's been a while since I worked with Lysholm but I have their drawings. Maybe the charger/cooler could be recessed into the upper to get the clearance needed.

I have pricing from Lysholm and we'll have to cover that in private. That is the way I would go. You could offer a complete kit for less than half a KB unit or conversely, you could offer a new Lysholm unit for what a used Kenne Bell goes for that has new bearings, vanes, etc.

Those 90's are going to be a beeotch to cut. Might as well toss some huge radiuses in there. Don't make guys have to hand port. This thing should be turn-key ready.

Members online

No members online now.
Back