Gen 1 Headlight Project w/ HID install

Blue you happend to have a part number for that chrome trim...and why do you drop the console under the steering wheel whats that one for i understand the glove box wire but not the steering wheel cover wires?

Blue you happend to have a part number for that chrome trim...and why do you drop the console under the steering wheel whats that one for i understand the glove box wire but not the steering wheel cover wires?

Are you talking about the wires that are modified at the multifunction switch?

The factory wiring runs the headlights through the multifunction switch so when you turn the high beams on it turns the lows off. When you install HID lows you want them to stay on all the time because on and off hot strikes are what kills HID bulbs and ballasts... so if you flash your high beams you could damage your HID's...

What the wire mod in the multifunction switch does is make the lows stay on all the time even when the highs are on preventing damage to your HID's.

what do you do just bypass the 4 prongs on the switch and they don't turn off?...thanks for the part number blue...and thanks for explaining it KK...

Also guys... Do I need to buy TWO kits to do HID's for the high and low beams???

because my lowbeams are like driving with just the parking lights on!

I wold go back and re read page one... Martin did a very good job of explaining what you do with the wires in the column, I don't know how to explain it any better....

Also guys... Do I need to buy TWO kits to do HID's for the high and low beams???

because my lowbeams are like driving with just the parking lights on!

No. Keep the highs halogen. HID's are useless for highs because of hot re-strikes and the fact that they don't light up instantly - so be useless for flashing.

Dawkins: You use a splice block (blue, 18-14 AWG) to bridge the wires of pins 13 and 15 together. This stops the multi-function switch from disconnecting power to the low beams when highs are engaged.

The whole HID fitting process, while looking long in the pictures, will take you about 40 minutes at the most.

One other thing just occured to me, Dawkins; You are in Canada. If you own a Canadian market Mark VIII, the colors of the 2 wires you need to splice together may be different. (should still be the wires from pins 13 and 15 though) I'd look at a circuit diagram or bust out a multimeter just to be sure that the multi-function switch pins function the same.

Thanks, Dirty Harry!

Cool! Hope it works out. Look forward to pics!

Ordered my HID kit yesterday! Should be here by like Friday I think. Now I just have to get my housings rechromed! :(

Cool. The rechroming is the bad part! If you lack patience, just do the parts that are burnt up.

Cool. The rechroming is the bad part! If you lack patience, just do the parts that are burnt up.

Yep... I lack patience... and I'm even a body/paint guy... which doesnt make much sense.

I reckon I'll pick up some of that chrome foil stuff and work on that this weekend after I get some mean epoxy to hold the headlights back together.

just sit at the work bench, tell everyone to leave you alone, leave the cell phone where you cant hear it, and turn on your favorite tunes and work on the lights, thats what i do when i re-finish a pair. take your time, and get up and stretch often, your neck and eyes will bug you after a bit. i just picked up another spare set of housings to re-do for my 93, and gonna order another hid kit. i had real 96 LSC housings and hid's in it but i sold them cuz i needed cash, but i cant stand driving with halogen bulbs in anymore, i have to go back to hid's lol!

Yeah, you may have to re-aim them slightly. (partly due to the new bulbs but mainly because you will have hacked off the lens and stuck it back on - may not sit exactly the same)

Cut the lenses as carefully as you can - i cut too shallow on one of mine and messed up the alignment. I will correct that soon though with a 'virgin' lens i got from jamie97lsc.

Too shallow? I don't think I follow.

Either way, my HID's should be here tomorrow or thursday so I may mess with it this weekend.

Yeah, too shallow as in cut the lens a little too far from housing seam. (so when lens was glued back on, it sat slightly closer in than the other side) Wasn't a big deal. Just go careful and you will be fine.

oh, got ya. Cool. I should get my HID's today. So i will probably be messing with it this weekend.

Got my HID's in yesterday... pretty sweet setup! Gotta love the plug and play stuff!

Not real impressed with my housings at all. Definitely hindering the performance of the HID's.

This weekend I will tear them apart and rechrome both the high beam side and low beam side.

I did the pin cross in the switch and the message center error fix as well.

Also found out that my headlight switch is wore out too.

Looks like I may have to re-aim my lowbeams as they sit anyway... they point a little off.

Cool. What was up with your headlight switch? Was it the built in circuit breaker acting up? (i remember a recall about that a few years ago)

Yup, those plug and play HID's are good and simple. Getting cheap now too! Might pick some up for the wife's truck in the new year.

Lol. All in good time, Jamie. You know, i think we may have problems fitting a Navi in the garage. The extended wheelbase one is a definite no-go.

Members online

No members online now.
Back