Gen 1 Headlight Project w/ HID install

Aquabrit

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Below is an outline of my headlight refurb, from the initial rechroming, to aftermarket HID fitment and associated modifications: (multi function switch mod for lows and highs and check exterior lamp message removal)

View attachment 32830

Last edited:
Wow!! Thanks for the clear, instructive pictures! I think even if i clean my lenses that will help, and wow, this is layed out very simple! Thanks Blue!

Thanks guys, figured it was time i did something useful... Lol. O yeah, as my wife just pointed out, i used DUCT tape, not duck tape! LMAO.

Is that high temp adhesive on those reflector templates? Where did you get them? Nice job on those lenses, they came out real clean!

Can you put up a before and after of the lenses?

Since you cut them open and resealed them have you had any problems with moisture?

Again awesome job looks real good.

Hi markviiiedrea! I didn't take any before pics of the lenses, cos they were in a pretty reasonable condition from jamie97lsc, as i had ruined the original housings with the oven lens removal method! Lol. However, when i did clean up the originals a few months back, they went from yellow to gleaming! Templates? I made the templates myself out of old xmas cards and used them to cut the Trimbrite chrome tape to size, which has its own, very strong adhesive backing. I thoroughly resealed the housings with the Goop automotive sealant and haven't experienced any moisture issues yet. However, im living in Florida so maybe not such an issue here? I have, however, power washed the car twice and driven in a storm, without issue.

Thanks roadboss - i figured you would want to see a write up, as you had been asking about these aftermarket kits. As you can see from the layout pic, very clean and easy installation.

Thanks Blue for the info I will have to keep that in mind for when I run out of HID houseings and have to go back to base ones.

Also good job on the write up!

You should save the templates and sell them to people like me who dont want spend time cutting new one's out.

Definitely got to put in on the things to do this summer. What's your assesment of the durability of the Trimbrite Chrome tape with these new lights. Do you feel it will out last a stock chrome unit?

Markviiiedrea: Yeah, i have saved most of the templates, but lost a couple! Lol. Not too hard to do if you have some thin card and a little patience. I could always make up some nice ones, for those in need...

Roadboss: The Trimbrite appears to be durable - its actually metal so it can't burn up. My only concern is the adhesive backing - but that seems strong too. I got the Trimbrite idea from jamie97lsc and he used it for a long while without issue. However, if there are any problems down the road, i will write them up here. You can buy rolls of the trimbrite tape from Advance Auto for around 7 bux a roll. (you will need 2-3 rolls)

Thanks Mark0101! Now that i have a decent digital camera, i will do some more stuff in the future! :)

Thanks Kustom! Now i just gotta get some headlight clips from Jamie and finish the alignment. It will be nice to see again at night! Lol.

damn martin killer write up. i would have done something like this a long time ago, but you know me personally, and i work too quickly to keep taking pictures, if things werent so hectic around me, i would have hundreds of write ups for everything i have done. you did exactly what i have done with many headlights, only i didnt take such detailed pictures. this will make a lot of people happy who want to attempt it, it really is not hard you just need a few good quiet hours to pull it off. i want to do the same thing to my new 93, the headlights arent bad at all and i still cant see at night. what did you pay for that hid kit, cuz im gonna go the same route, im not searching for another set of hid housings like my green 93, not when everyone wants 58 million a pair for them!!

now you need to get the hell over to my shop so we can slap some clips on and i can check them out in person, maybe i'll lock you in the shop and not let you out until you redo my headlights, i cant stand doing them lol.

Thanks for the compliment slowmarkviii!

Thanks Jamie! This is why i took so long! Lol. Yeah, im coming down this week, now the car is good again, and the storms are over! You are right though, its not too hard, a few hours work and a few bux and the lights can be alot better! (rechroming is darn tedious though - i DON'T fancy doing that again! Lol)

You did an AWESOME job on the write up! What a great re-chroming job, I can tell that you take your time & do things the right way by seeing how much trouble you went to with the chrome tape. Those lights look new.

I watched this on the History channel a while back, Origionaly Duct tape was called 'Duck' tape. The military used it for sealing leaks in inflatable rafts. It was later changed or became known as duct tape. So you were kinda right the first time (lol)

This needs to be put in the tech article section. Great write up.

I agree we need a moderator to make this a sticky or put it up in the tech section.

In case you wanted an alternative "Duck Tape" photo:
ductiz7.jpg

Im about to buy a "new" 95 VIII, and need to see some pictures of the light pattern out on the road, & your opinion of on comming glare. I don't want to be blinding everyone else.

I'm tempted to do this instead of dumping another 800 on OEM HIDs

Thanks guys! Yeah, if a mod wants to make it a sticky or a tech, thats cool, maybe Calabrio can do some mod trickery and substitute the duck for duct for me? Lol. (Turborich might be onto something there - im sure i have heard it being called duck tape, sometime, somewhere lol) One other thing: remember these kits are not DOT approved! (for what its worth - those DOT rules seem sucky to me, but still something to bear in mind)

94m5: Did you see the vids and pics Turborich put up of his and his friend's kit? Should give you an idea of the glare and pattern - our kits are very similar, only exceptions being i went a slightly lower color temp (4300K vs 6000K) and i kept the anti glare shields in place. I will take a look into the glare issue though.

Thanks blue,what a great description on this procedure.AWESOME!Will this system work on gen II mark lenses? Lou

Members online

Back