Gen 1 Headlight Project w/ HID install

Cool. What was up with your headlight switch? Was it the built in circuit breaker acting up? (i remember a recall about that a few years ago)

Yup, those plug and play HID's are good and simple. Getting cheap now too! Might pick some up for the wife's truck in the new year.

Apparently it is wore out, and if you turn the switch on, the dash lights for the gauges don't come on. Sometimes they do sometimes they dont. but if i force the switch to go a pinch further... they come on and stay on.

I could REALLLY go for a set of new halogen housings right about now... but that is some coin.

I would replace the headlight switch... you should be able to get one for pretty cheap...

If you can't afford new housings just trim brite them, its cheap....

The high beam side could be better. the low beam side blows.

I was driving home last night and ALL my lights flashed on then off and then went out!

I turned off the highbeams and turned off the headlight switch and turned it back on and the HID's came back on... PHEW!

I think with both beams on it is overloading my switch? maybe?

any help on this?

I guess it's possible that the circuit breaker tripped. Remember the car was originally meant to switch off the lows to run the highs. The MFS mod makes them come on together. (idea being with the decent headlights you won't need lows and highs on together for any length of time, but will instead prolong the HID's life)

Wouldn't worry about it for now, but if it becomes a problem when you are just running the lows (or lows and highs for a short period) then you might want to inspect the wiring connector to the headlight switch and possibly replace the switch itself.

But yeah, I'm thinking it was just a temporary overload of the switch circuit breaker causing it to trip.

I guess it's possible that the circuit breaker tripped. Remember the car was originally meant to switch off the lows to run the highs. The MFS mod makes them come on together. (idea being with the decent headlights you won't need lows and highs on together for any length of time, but will instead prolong the HID's life)

Wouldn't worry about it for now, but if it becomes a problem when you are just running the lows (or lows and highs for a short period) then you might want to inspect the wiring connector to the headlight switch and possibly replace the switch itself.

But yeah, I'm thinking it was just a temporary overload of the switch circuit breaker causing it to trip.

The headlight switch panel gets pretty damn hot with just the lows on... I wonder if it's about to pop?

rechroming inserts

does anyone know where I can get the rechroming inserts for the headlights on a gen 1 mark???

go look at your other post, i'll do them for you if you want to ship them to me, i can do them in a few hours and ship them back the day after i recieve them.

Well, I feel like a bonehead...

Got my lights all epoxied back together, threw them in the other night and drove around...

Well, all was well until we had a few days of rain here.

Now I have moisture in my drivers headlight:mad:

I went over every inch of the headlights and used some clear rtv to cover any pinholes.... Guess I missed some. dang it.

Looks like I'll be taking out my headlight wednesday evening and bringing it inside to sit over the heater til the moisture goes away and hope I can find how it got in....

It's always something.

Pour some rubbing alcohol inside the housing with the moisture, it is hygroscopic so it pulls out the moisture and it evaporates quickly after you dump the majority of it out.

does anyone know where I can get the rechroming inserts for the headlights on a gen 1 mark???

I responded to your PM about doing them. Alternatively, Jamie can do them too. (in a quicker time) Whatever works best for you.

did mine yesterday, didn't convert to HIDs, just took them apart and re-chromed them.....as Borat would say "Great Success!!!!!" no more driving at night time with the headlights on!

The only thing I dont like, is that when I turn on the headlights, somtimes one or the other doesnt come on, then I have to cycle the headlight switch and all is good. Hard to tell when they turn on when you arent facing a building or something.

yeah mine do the same thing what i usually do is let my car idle down a bit then turn them on because there is such a high initial voltage drawn by them and then once they are lit they are fine

Pour some rubbing alcohol inside the housing with the moisture, it is hygroscopic so it pulls out the moisture and it evaporates quickly after you dump the majority of it out.

hey kid my heaqdlights seem to have moisture in them which has made the look in certain places a lil foggy. its on the inside of the clear lens, should i try the alcohol trick? i have the stock HID headlights on an ls and the halo inverters are inside the headlight.

Who and how to order HID setup

Ordered my HID kit yesterday! Should be here by like Friday I think. Now I just have to get my housings rechromed! :(

I'm having the blown out HID issues in my 97 mark and would like info on this kit. Who did you order from? Sorry I have not had time to go back and read entire thread, but caught about 95% of the bickering before getting back to the topic. Thanks for the help.

The only thing I dont like, is that when I turn on the headlights, somtimes one or the other doesnt come on, then I have to cycle the headlight switch and all is good. Hard to tell when they turn on when you arent facing a building or something.

unplug the hid bulb from the ballast and pull the rubber ring out of the plug and then plug them back together. the flickering or one lamp off is due to a crappy connection, i have had this happen with a few of the ones i installed and my own on my 93, i pulled the rubber rings out of the bulb's plug and perfect everytime now!

Jamie or Blue on Blue, what do you guys typically charge for a set of headlights?

I got a 95 I'm wrenching on for a guy (tuneup, detail, etc) and I don't have the time/patience/confidence to do that trimbrite job again. Did it once and I hate to say I don't think I did all that great on it... lol.

any of you guys have to deal with the salt or snow i wouldnt mind having this done i have one headlight messed up another one not taking my time and using a big bulky air cutter to open them up so i might just try to get another one and send it out but i want to see if they will make it through an ohio winter and all the crap weather i get to deal with already did the hid conversion and it made a heck of a diference now i wouldnt mind seeing what its like with some chrome to reflect off of. thanks guys

Members online

No members online now.
Back