Gen 1 Headlight Project w/ HID install

Hi Lou! Not sure about the gen 2s - i will ask jamie97lsc when i see him this week, as he is something of an expert when it comes to Mark VIIIs. I will let you know what i find out...

Thanks GMAN! My only concern is that these aftermarket kits are not DOT approved, therefore not legal, so if it became an article, then it should really include a disclaimer to be clear that its just what one member did and is not 'set in stone'

Great write up Martin :cool: :yourock: :dancefool

Taking Jamies hard work and doing a great write up I think STICKY !:headbang:

Nice job, man!

Note that I will NOT be mentioning this to my father (who has my old 95) because I'll get stuck doing this. :D

Thanks Fordnut and NYC LS8!

Thats what i like about these car forums, meet some great people, steal a few ideas and save some $$$. (apart from searching the forums, i used advice from jamie, unity, turborich and JMiles_T)

Thanks blue for your reply.I have a stupid question,Is that chrome tape safe enough to bare the heat of the orig ansi 9500 hid bulbs?And where can I buy it?I thinking of trying this project out on my 98 lenses.Waiting to here from you after you find out more info on the gen II marks.By the way I live in Pembroke Pines Fl. on the east coast. Take care. Lou

Hi Lou! Yeah, im pretty sure the tape will be ok with the heat, as it is metal. Its called Trimbrite, and is available at most of the Advance Auto stores for around 7 bux a roll - look in the stickers section. Jamie97lsc has used this stuff before without a problem. (he recommended it to me) I see no reason why you couldn't open up your gen 2 housings in the same way. I will speak to Jamie this week, and let you know what i find out. I assume you have good HIDs already and you just want to rechrome the housings and polish the lenses right? Should be easy enough...

Well I got a good almost new pair from a miami guy selling them on craigslist at a steal$100.00 for both,so I want to try and redo the ones on the car,and if they turn out ok maybe sell them.

Well I got a good almost new pair from a miami guy selling them on craigslist at a steal$100.00 for both,so I want to try and redo the ones on the car,and if they turn out ok maybe sell them.

Cool. gotta be worth a shot! I just googled the tape. Its called Trimbrite Chrome brite and is available from quite a few stores. Its a foil tape designed for use in a high temp evironment. (i just did a flame test on a piece. (burns if you hold a flame directly to it, but not from a distance - much like house hold foil - that burns too, with a direct flame. Anyway, this is what you are looking for:

http://www.amazon.com/Trimbrite-T1818-Chrome-Brite-60/dp/B00029XBJ6

just for a piece of info, this stuff is now available in a 7 inch wide roll. previously it only came in 3 inch wide rolls, but now with 7 inch, you could get away with not having to have seams inside the housings, no matter what, with the 3 inch wide, there will be parts of the housings you just cannot get the entire part without putting 2 pieces side by side, but now you could make them seamless. and to answer the question, yes you could do this same method on a 2nd gen housing as well, it will just require alot more trimbrite because the housings are more then twice the size. martin i cant wait to see these in person. i have pics of my 1st gen hid housings that i did this too but i dont want to hyjack your thread!

Hi Jamie! ah, so theres a bigger roll now? even better... Lol. typical! Yeah, i wasn't sure if you had ever done a gen 2 housing, so i figured id speak to you first and maybe take a look at one - figured it would be bigger. Im coming down tomorrow, definite! BTW, as the article is done, feel free to post whatever relevant pics/info you have here - be good to have everything in one thread, and some proof of it being done from people other than myself. :)

Thanks jamie for that bit of info on the tape and on the gen II lenses.I will attempt this task soon.Hope to thread the good news. Lou

With that fatter tape, Sulup, you should have no problems. I don't know if the chain stores stock the fatter size, so you may have to order some rolls. Have fun with it! post some pics when you are done!

for anyone who cannot obtain this stuff, because it is not stocked in all stores, i'd be happy to purchase it and ship it to anyone who may need it , all i ask is to be reimbursed plus priority shipping, i have a few of the 3 inch rolls now because last time i went to get some i couldnt find it, so when i did, i bought it all!!

If anyone has a drivers side (I'll take 2 if they're in great condition) housing thats been rechromed up for sale PM me. Oh and I installed that same hid kit, took 5 minutes, 3 of which included mounting the ballasts.

Excellent job Blue you knocked it out the park! Be doing that to my 95 fo sho!
Not to be a hijacker but props to Jamie97lsc for parts HE DA MAN!

Excellent job Blue you knocked it out the park! Be doing that to my 95 fo sho!
Not to be a hijacker but props to Jamie97lsc for parts HE DA MAN!

Thanks, man!

Yeah, jamie is good for parts and info - hooked me up with a whole bunch of stuff, just the other day... :)

hey martin, looks like im adding another project to the " sooner then planned " i just bought the same kit you got but i went with 6000k, also picking up a 3 inch cowel tomorrow. so i'll be doing the lights when the kit comes in, can i borrow your dremmel lol???

Oh ya? Cool. For the price of the kits, you really can't go wrong.

Sure, you can borrow my rotary tool and bits if ya want... just say when. I still think you should make the cowl functional though... And... add some gauges in there too!

Hey.. just a question.. does it make the lights much brighter.. converting it over to brights.. have both low and high on? On a scale of 1-10.. 10 being hardest.. what would you rate this job? I've done plenty of stereo's and fog lights.. gauges... so this should be easy right? I'm pretty confident in my work.. so yea.. just curious!

Having the lows and highs on makes the lights abit brighter, but the main reason for doing the mod is to protect the HIDs, as hot re strikes shortens their life. Splicing the wires for 13 + 15 is easy, probably a 3/10 job. You will have no problem. In fact, doing the whole process and fitting HIDs is pretty easy, just time consuming. For the splicing, you will require an 18-14 AWG (blue) splice block.

Oh okay.. so i'm assuming we can't replace these bulbs.. when they go out.. we repay the 88 dollars and just use the lights out of there and resell the other stuff.. or can you replace the bulbs.. I really.. honestly need a set.. my dims are horrible.. and I don't think i'm brave enough to cut open my stock headlights on my DD... so do you think atleast my dims will atleast be equal to the stock dims? If this does require me to do the restoration.. my chrome looks fine.. but my lens are just so yellow.. I'm gunna try an easy 20 dollar kit this weekend.. that removes all the film and go from there.. either way.. this looks like the best anyways... I want blue HIDs... and i'm getting them.. lol. I wanna look fancy too!

Having the lows and highs on makes the lights abit brighter, but the main reason for doing the mod is to protect the HIDs, as hot re strikes shortens their life. Splicing the wires for 13 + 15 is easy, probably a 3/10 job. You will have no problem. In fact, doing the whole process and fitting HIDs is pretty easy, just time consuming. For the splicing, you will require an 18-14 AWG (blue) splice block.

I haven't spliced any of the wires yet for my hids, and because of that I haven't flashed my lights, but I'm going to have 2 pretty much brand new housings in about a week (waiting for one more from ebay) both with minor chrome peeling, and because of this my hids are in the high beam part of the housing. My idea is to get another hid kit and put that one in the low beam part. How would I go about making the highs and lows stay on all the time? I've heard about the brite box but want to know if I could just splice a few wires together instead? Oh and I could care less about other drivers, almost everyone around here has some sort of aftermarket or stock hid kit anyway, and the cops don't care at all about lights.

Members online

No members online now.
Back