EMBLEMS (custom)

That is some real nice work!!!

Can you do the resin in red, then add an led behind to make glow for the rear of an LS?

With LED's other than size, you would have to worry about hotspoting (or having some areas brighter than others) i think a small electroluminescent strip under the emblem would look killer, nice and even and not much thicker than a sticker. However this would have to have a transformer, and would cost more than LED.
i like the ideal of surface mount LEDs

Exactly what I was thinking, though these are alot more expensive. But I bet it would be worth it for that nice even glow.

So what exactly does it take when you say a transformer?

usually is just a little black box, the smallest ive seen used has been about a 1"cubed and the biggest was 2"x3"x1" but it had a sound sensor with it.

i would so rock a body colored background and just leave the star clear to light up, white up front and red in the back

A glowing cobrastar would be fukcing awesome if done right. I would rock it.

That is some real nice work!!!

Can you do the resin in red, then add an led behind to make glow for the rear of an LS?

Yes I can add color to the resin but I will wait until I can do a plain clear emblem to my satisfaction. I would probably need to layer the resin too(outside clear/background colored) otherwise the whole thing will be one color and you wouldn't be able to have a star. I want to make a mold that can do multiple emblems at one time so I can mix up more resin at one time. This will especially help when doing colored resin since color could vary from batch to batch. This should also allow me to cast LEDs right into the resin!

usually is just a little black box, the smallest ive seen used has been about a 1"cubed and the biggest was 2"x3"x1" but it had a sound sensor with it.

i would so rock a body colored background and just leave the star clear to light up, white up front and red in the back

The back star could light up with the break lights!

With LED's other than size, you would have to worry about hotspoting (or having some areas brighter than others) i think a small electroluminescent strip under the emblem would look killer, nice and even and not much thicker than a sticker. However this would have to have a transformer, and would cost more than LED.
i like the ideal of surface mount LEDs

They use reflective diffusers and smd LED's.

Strips IMO would look cheap like sorta like this in a way.

productimg1269396889232.200x200.jpg

Exactly what I was thinking, though these are alot more expensive. But I bet it would be worth it for that nice even glow.

Not sure how much you care but EL lights use an entirely different (and admittedly odd-sounding for a car) principle. The standard 12v DC car current is run through an inverter to create a higher-voltage AC source, then applied to a printed layer of phosphor. This makes it glow.

EL wire and everything can be pretty cool but I don't like messing around with transformers. I used to have a bunch of them wired up in my old Caddy but after that experience I'd rather just use LEDs which can be wired right to the 12V system with a resistor.

Strips IMO would look cheap like sorta like this in a way.
the strips can me made to many different sizes, and as wide as you want, ive seen ones as big as a full sized sheet of paper, and just like those viper badges that have been posted a few times, could be made the same size as the emblem.

Small update. I am going to be ordering more supplies soon so I can start cranking out these emblems.

I PM'ed the guy that created the cobra star emblems to see if I could make them or if we could collaborate on something. We will see what direction that takes. His emblems were metal and mine would be plastic...

Quick survey question.
Would you prefer a clear emblem(like stock) that is a blank slate for you to paint yourself or would you rather have a pre-painted or colored emblem? Obviously emblems with embedded stars would have to have the color decided before hand.

Thanks for all of the input so far! I will keep the thread updated as progress is made.

I'd really like the black "background" but with the Lincoln star a nice red. That would be awesome! Make me a set I'll buy them and sport them asap.

On our last episode of "Emblems for our LS" there was an issue with the parts still being tacky and flexible. I got both problems figured out! Here are a bunch of new pics! The clear emblem is the one I just cast tonight and it feels exactly like the stock emblem! You will see in the pictures that the clear emblem shows some scuff marks and tiny air bubbles. The scratches are actually from me sanding the original part so in my new mold I will have to put a coat of clear on the emblem first and make sure it is perfect because everything transfers to any parts made from that mold. I figured out that I need more heat for my parts to fully cure since they are smaller pieces so I have to put them in the oven at like 150 degrees and this will also help remove air bubbles in future emblems. I also took two other emblems I made and added some color just to see how it'd look. The silver emblem is a chrome spray paint I was trying out, not so sure about it yet. On the back of the silver emblem I colored the background black, plus managed to slip and make a mark on the silver star. The red emblem is just colored with dry erase marker, red background/black star.

Once I get my new mold making material I will have it set up so I can cast 6-8 pieces at a time of the emblems with the star indentation in the back. Still working on the emblems that I can embed pieces into.

Enjoy!

(First pic, just couldn't help but leave LVC in there!)

April 19 (1).jpg

April 19 (2).jpg

April 19 (4).jpg

April 19 (5).jpg

April 19 (6).jpg

April 19 (7).jpg

April 19 (8).jpg

April 19 (10).jpg

April 19 (12).jpg

April 19 (13).jpg

April 19 (14).jpg

April 19 (15).jpg

April 19 (16).jpg

Looking good! So, what else have you cast so far? Things like this become addicting. I know I would be casting all sorts of things around the house,..lol!

I just thought of something. Clear corners.

Last edited:
Good job its coming along. Whats next in line with projects?

Coming along real good, I'll buy some asap after you have perfected it:D

Good job its coming along. Whats next in line with projects?

Well,a few people want clear corners and after doing the emblems they shouldn't take long. The big one after emblems is the grille!

Very nice! How about black with red star.

Members online

No members online now.
Back