EMBLEMS (custom)

Interesting.... What are you going to use as the mold? Like playdoh or something?

The platinum silicone will be the mold and I have modeling clay which will help me make the mold.

What about a low wattage/accent light behind the star? That would look good at night on the grille.

That is one variation of the emblem I will be working at.

@PMJJ
Let's try not to make this a thread of random ass gauge cluster pics, mmmmk.....thanks.

At least Alax7 had a relevant emblem comment with his pic.

Anyone have a spare cobra star or how much do they cost? The guy who makes those, did he design them or what because I don't want to rip off his design.

I would buy some off ya if they look legit with the machine. So is there plastic emblem pieces with no beveled star in them? Or how exactly is this going to work...?

I would buy some off ya if they look legit with the machine. So is there plastic emblem pieces with no beveled star in them? Or how exactly is this going to work...?

Ok, so this is how it going to work. If they don't look the part I won't even put them up for sale(because I'm a perfectionist like that and I care about the quality of my work out there)! The mold I am making first is a direct copy of the original which includes the way the star is an indent in the back of the emblem so you can paint it however you want or I can. I will make another where I create the star(or other symbol) independently, paint it and THEN embed it in the emblem. I am thinking of other things I can do but I will start with the basics.

What it comes down to is I believe in quality and then people will come back for more or other things I create but if I make some crap then I just screw myself out of any other business and likely the LVC community.

Here are some pics of me casting the first half of the mold for the emblem. I would post the finished mold but I have it set up and am attempting to cast the first emblem. I will put up pics of that once it's done and it turns out ok.

I need to find a more ventilated area...these fumes are makin me woosie.

DSCN0097.jpg

DSCN0096.jpg

DSCN0098.jpg

were did you get the resin, is that like a special order thing or something i can get at a hobby shop, I have some prejects i might need some for.

Tap Plastics

They have a lot of great videos on youtube on how to use their products. I also saw some videos from a few other companies on there and Freeman Supply is another that I'll probably end up ordering other products from.

Ok so try #1 was a partial fail. I got the part cast and the detail is fantastic as far as getting the bevel of the star from the back and how clear everything is but I didn't use enough hardener with the resin so the part was still tacky and flexible. Guess I need to experiment a little more. I'm going to pour #2 before work here and see how it turns out when I get home.

DSCN0106.jpg

DSCN0107.jpg

DSCN0108.jpg

EXCELLENT first attempt!! I can't wait to see the final product! Be careful of treading on Ford's copyright for the emblem.....

Yes, do not sell them. Sell an envelope for whatever price, and throw in a free emblem. :D

Looks like it will work well!

You could put a piece of tape or something on the back side and avoid the star indention and have a clean face to put whatever behind it.

Also pektel is right, this is how people get away with selling event tickets @ over face value. Most State laws do not allow for people to sell a ticket any higher than what it is stated for, so you throw in a random item that is included with the tickets.

Looking good,I hope you do good and have a very lucrative return.I would like a few when you done

Tap Plastics

They have a lot of great videos on youtube on how to use their products. I also saw some videos from a few other companies on there and Freeman Supply is another that I'll probably end up ordering other products from.

okay I looked at the site just didn't know if I had to order direct from them, thanks

That looks great. It looks like you're on the right path

Looks like it will work well!

You could put a piece of tape or something on the back side and avoid the star indention and have a clean face to put whatever behind it.

I actually am working on that mold right now! I ran out of silicone though! That crap is expensive so I may just make a regular urethane mold for most projects(cheaper) and then make one out of the silicone once it's good to go.

Looking good,I hope you do good and have a very lucrative return.I would like a few when you done

Yeah hopefully I can get it to where I can have a mold that will make like six at a time!

okay I looked at the site just didn't know if I had to order direct from them, thanks

Oh yeah, sorry I didn't mention that. I check everywhere(michael's, hobby lobby, home depot, menard's) and couldn't find any mold stuff. I found the casting resin in one store but I just ordered it all from the same place.

That looks great. It looks like you're on the right path

*fingers crossed* About to take out attempt #2 and see how it turned out!

Will it was better but still not good enough. The part is still tacky and slightly flexible. On to round three, need more cowbell, er, catalyst!COWBELL!

Here are some pics of the mold. It's not the best but it's my first one ever! Pics of part number 2. Also notice my snack of choice at the moment, Pocky sticks! YUM

Why is there always 2 video windows?

DSCN0110.jpg

DSCN0109.jpg

DSCN0113.jpg

DSCN0115.jpg

looks good!

how come your key looks diff than mine??

EXCELLENT!! Blacking-out the star and having the rest (or vice-versa) "glowing" would look very nice!

Members online

No members online now.
Back