03 Cobra Exhaust Manifold Steering Mods V2.0 Thanks M_Maker!!

I have a pic of the manifolds I just bought on my facebook...

339683_320615644634025_100000567776815_1211199_589069260_o.jpg

if any of you guys ever need something welded and want to ship it, or you are in florida, this is what i do. i have been welding for 18 years and fabricating almost all metals. i mostly TIG weld aluminum though, that is my specialty, but i can MIG and TIG stainless, aluminum, steel whatever it is, need headers modified or intakes cut and welded whatever it may be just ask. its what i do everyday is TIG aluminum ornamental stuff.

i LOVE tig welding. That's how I first learned how to weld and I think it's awesome.

I wanted to bump this one to ask those that have done these modifications, what have you done with the dipstick tube? I hear the mark viii tubes don't quite work w/ the new manifolds.

Would a flexible Lokar work?

Yeah... Another alternative to the manifolds. Plus several sets of long tubes too.. But the driver's side needs mongo rework.

any chance the 03 cobra manifolds bolt to the stock LSC exhaust?

If not... whoever is using the cobra manifolds, did you chop up a mach 1 or cobra h-pipe to mate to a factory exhaust or aftermarket?

I havnt seen any pics of cobra manifolds on a Mark with an exhaust hooked up... anyone?

No the Factory stuff won't work.

LSC8 bought a Magnaflow Mustang Mid pipe and modified it to fit the MarkVIII.

He also went whole hog and built a complete Mandrel bent and TIG welded Stainless system.

This is DEFINATLY not a cheap proposition.

Hoping to do mine soon. As soon as I can figure out the dipstick situation

I'll take lots of pictures

Not block blocking. Wasn't there a long ago thread on a member cutting up two driver side manifold to make on driver side manifold to fi.

I'm curious about this too. I was kind fo giddy when I first looked under my Gen2 and saw the drivers manifold was welded steel... them bummed that the passengers was cast.
How good can the stock tune be with such asymmetrical exhaust manifolds?

Hoping to do mine soon. As soon as I can figure out the dipstick situation

I'll take lots of pictures

I was just reading of a guy swapping a mark engine into a mustang using 03 manifolds.... said that he had a problem with the dipstick but ended up just flattening it a little with a hammer and the factory tub fit fine and still functioned

you replace the collapsible lower part of the shaft and stock rag joint with the shaft pictured above and the flaming rivers joint.

Jegs parts numbers:
898-FR1715DD
153-313434
153-409208

When working on the dipstick tube, the info I got from ford was that 93-96,97, and 98 mark viii's all have a different tube number. I ordered an 03 tube, which cleared the manifold but hit the mark viii motor mount. In the end I bent the 97 mark viii tube that I had.

Jeremy helped me with this alot after i ran into problems. He has my thanks and should get the credit for this. Jeremy didn't recall any dipstick fitment issues from his install, but wasn't sure if he used a Mach 1 tube or the 98 mark viii.

i make mistakes when im sleeping. and dlf does amazing work, and uses all egr stuff. i have a gen 3 with kooks headrers with the egr stuff connected, now putting on the cobra manifold want to delete it. doesnt it provide a snappier throttle response? i wany to get it all out. smog pump, all of it anyone got pics on it?

I know this thread is a little bit old, but I have some questions for anyone with some experience with this mod. I have 04 Cobra Manifolds, and just picked up a Catless H-Pipe from the Junkyard very cheap. I am planning on buying the parts to do the steering column rerouting in the next day or so. My main question is did there seem to be an increase in power from this? I have an LSC exhaust on my car, so its all factory, except the mufflers. I have Borlas.

I also wanted to get an opinion -- This car will have the Cobra manifolds, a catless X pipe (Have an X from a GT500 that I'll have plumbed in, looks like a bassani), stock size pipes after the X, and Borla mufflers. Will it be really loud? I'm not looking for obnoxious, I just want to open up the exhaust. I was looking at universal Magnaflow cats for about $67 each, so I may add those later.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Alright, I have been planning on buying the parts for the steering shaft today, but I have come across something that made me curious...

In the parts list in this thread, the coupler is listed as part 153-313434
153-31XXXX.jpg

It appears to only have a set screw on one end. That won't work, unless you weld the coupler to the shaft on one end and use the set screw to lock the coupler to the steering rack.

This part, FLA-FR1942 has two set screws...
fla-fr1942_w.jpg

Any thoughts from the guys that have done this?
Thanks!

I wouldn't think there's enough lateral travel to require 2 set screws??

The pictures are not correct, just generic.
The BRG-313434 or the Jeg's 153-313434 is the correct 2 set screw coupler.

Oh, and yeah, you definitely need one with two screws.

Thank you very much for that much needed info! I would not want any ability to have the shaft not locked, since the top of the steering shaft is a collapsible, that, IMO would allow the shaft to eventually wiggle out of the coupler.

I searched all over the interwebs and for the borgeson coupler, that is the exact picture they show on every site.

Thank you very much m_maker, that is exactly what I wanted to know!

For whatever reason, original ford units don't use the springs and bolts. I called my local ford parts guy who can find or tell me anything said he just sees the studs like normal. Idk. I bought the dorman stud kit, and that's what I will be using.

Your Order
Purchased Items
Part #ItemStatusPriceQtyLine Total
BRG-313434
Borgeson Universal 313434 - Borgeson Universal Steering Shaft Couplers

Ready to Ship
$22.28
$22.28
BRG-409208
Borgeson Universal 409208 - Borgeson Universal Steering Shafts

Ready to Ship
$33.40
$33.40
FEL-61203
Fel-Pro Q61203 - Fel-Pro Exhaust Pipe Flange Gaskets

Ready to Ship
$5.95
$5.95
FEL-MS95949
Fel-Pro QMS95949 - Fel-Pro Exhaust Manifold Gaskets

Ready to Ship
$16.99
$16.99
FLA-FR1715DD
Flaming River FR1715DD - Flaming River Billet-Joint Steering Universal Joints

Ready to Ship
$73.95
$73.95
Part Subtotal $152.57
Order Charges
Delivery and Handling Charge$11.95
Order Subtotal$164.52
Ending Balance$164.52

I searched extensively for anything that might have been a few bucks cheaper here and there, but in the end, summit IS the cheapest you will find.

Members online

No members online now.
Back