03 Cobra Exhaust Manifold Steering Mods V2.0 Thanks M_Maker!!

I am doing this mod now. Question on removing the outer steering shaft sleeve. Does it just pull off? I pulled on it and it moved a few inches but no more. I am hesitant to force it.

I am doing this mod now. Question on removing the outer steering shaft sleeve. Does it just pull off? I pulled on it and it moved a few inches but no more. I am hesitant to force it.

You have to press in the metal tab thru the hole in the outer shaft in order to separate the two shafts.

hmmmm. never noticed a tab. I will have to look closer. I assume it is that spring looking part just past the orange section.

Well, I don't see or feel any tab. Does that big rubber dust boot come off? I thought of disconnecting it from the column but that joint will never pass through the fire wall......at least I think that. I tried checkingt he shop manual but could not find anything.

Well, I don't see or feel any tab. Does that big rubber dust boot come off? I thought of disconnecting it from the column but that joint will never pass through the fire wall......at least I think that. I tried checkingt he shop manual but could not find anything.

You have to press a tab on the metal clip (red circle) through the hole (green circle) in the end of the outer shaft, in order to separate the two parts.

You may have to unbolt the joint under the dash to get enough slack to pull the steering shaft out from the firewall enough to get to the end of the outer shaft.

HPIM1750c.jpg

Thanks. I "lightly" tried that but the shaft would not move. I was thinking I would have remove the column. I will try again with a little "persuasion".

one more. I will have to get a pick of it installed. I think I forgot to do that. This is the little section of the outer shaft I cut off to seal the firewall opening.

P1010025.jpg

Did you shorten the splined shaft? It's my understanding that it needs to have half an inch taken off each end.

Last edited:
So when are you installing yours Kirk?

Someday.....someday.
First I have to find a massive trans leak in the 35 I have to spend some time on that car.

I did dig around and found pops Rotary Buffer.... Now let's see if I can trash my paint.

Yes. I cut off 1/2" off each end making the total length 7". Actually took a little more by accident but it worked fine. You could probably take another 1/2" total and be OK. Here is a pic of my cutting station. I clamped it in a wood working vice. Using a 4" angle grinder with a cut off disk I ground a guide line arround it at 1/2". Then worked my way arround it deeper and deeper. I also continually poured water over it to keep it cool. Used a bucket below to catch the water.

P1010026.jpg

Does anyone by chance know the Part numbers for the 03-04 exhaust manifolds?

Does anyone by chance know the Part numbers for the 03-04 exhaust manifolds?

Drivers: 3R3Z-9431-BA
Passenger: 3R3Z-9430-BA

Retail is about $165 ea. You're better off checking the mustang sites or ebay though. They're very common. Also used on the Mach 1.

Members online

No members online now.
Back