03 Cobra Exhaust Manifold Steering Mods V2.0 Thanks M_Maker!!

Yay!

2013-02-22234131_zps74f14294.gif

Hopefully these pictures show up that I quoted below... does anyone know if the stock steering shaft that Beerdog quoted in his pictures needs to be cut down? I've got this all assembled on my floor as per his pictures and it looks to be entireley too long. And what confuses me is the end that used to go in the column now goes into the flaming river joint... so it must be just assembed for reference right?

Maybe I'm not awake enough yet....

Here are some pics.

Edit: ok they didnt show uo, but theyre on page 2.

No, but I am not understanding how the original steering shaft is going to work in conjunction of the new shaft. Everything looks entirely too long. Not just an inch long.

attachment.jpg

In beerdog's photos he has the upper shaft attached to the FR joint... Hats not how it will be to final assembled in the car... The black sleeve that is currently attached to your rag joint needs to be cut shorter and a short DD piece needs to be made to attach the black sleeve to the FR joint.

Here is a better picture from M_Maker...
attachment.php

OK, I think I understand that picture. I have a spare DD shaft that Ive been using here in my room to tinker with. So it looks like if I cut out a section, and drill a hole straight thru it, and then dimple it for the set screw, then I'll be good to go...

Now, to figure out how much of a length to cut to use as a chopped piece.

Also, and only because I cant remember, is that black outter sleeve already on my car? And how long does THAT need to be?

Edit: Dan, I just re-read your post and it makes much more sense now.

Questions still linger... how long does the black sleeve need to be and how long does a short piece of DD need to be?

Other than that, thats it I reckon? If thats the case, should be cake.

That black sleeve is already on your car... it is what your stock rag joint is attached to down by the rack. You are shortening it, and attaching your new shaft to it. I just eye balled all of it, the plastic sleeve on the black metal sleeve is just cut to be pretty close to what is pictured above. Same with the 2" or so DD slug. I grabbed one of those black sleeves from the JY so I already have one put together, but you will just be cutting yours down shorter, and then you need to make/buy that short piece of DD, like you said you already have.

So it doesnt matter how short the plastic sleeve is, as long as the one part that goes in the firewall is there, right?

If anyone needs a small section of that DD stainless bar, let me know. I've got a whole 18" of it that I'll never use all of.

This way you won't have to buy the whole thing, like I did...

If anyone needs a small section of that DD stainless bar, let me know. I've got a whole 18" of it that I'll never use all of.

This way you won't have to buy the whole thing, like I did...

i need some how do i know how much i need? thanks ken

The 2" stub also needs to have two dimples machined in it for the set screws.

I offer these in stainless steel, along with a 10mm A4 button head bolt for $40 shipped (lower 48).

HPIM0711.JPG

The 2" stub also needs to have two dimples machined in it for the set screws.

I offer these in stainless steel, along with a 10mm A4 button head bolt for $40 shipped (lower 48).

Damn it Doug, stop making me give you more money.......sigh, check your PM's on the "other" site. :)

For those having trouble finding exhaust manifold flange studs, I found these at a local parts warehouse. Ford didn't even have the right ones.

2013-03-02141952_zps969f0ae1.gif

Mock up lol

2013-03-02141931_zps205bdf6f.gif

Members online

Back