Gen 1 Headlight Project w/ HID install

i already have a set in my garage that was shipped to me to do, another pair on the way, and a pair in the shop already in the jig ready to cut open this weekend, i'll be doing two pairs this weekend or 3 if the others show up that soon!!!

any of you guys have to deal with the salt or snow i wouldnt mind having this done i have one headlight messed up another one not taking my time and using a big bulky air cutter to open them up so i might just try to get another one and send it out but i want to see if they will make it through an ohio winter and all the crap weather i get to deal with already did the hid conversion and it made a heck of a diference now i wouldnt mind seeing what its like with some chrome to reflect off of. thanks guys

I'm sure some re-chromed headlights will hold up to winter just fine! Send Jamie the pair to be done - gonna look odd otherwise with one good and one not so. Alternatively, get a cheap rotary tool (I used the Black and Decker RTX - was only 30 bux) and do them yourself. You could have them done in a day. To save time just do the bad parts.

Wow, this thread got long! :)

HID Install

Hey, i did the install of the HID kit from the auction site and the ballasts stopped working immediatley. Callled their techs to troubleshoot and they said people with mark viiis' are continually calling about problems. Just to inform you guys about to do this install, you need a relay kit with the HID conversion kit. before you buy, make sure you have this in the kit or buy it seperatly. basically, instead if getting the voltage from the 9005 light circuit plug, it gets the voltage direct from the battery with more amperage to drive the ballasts properly. Appearantly when they say Plug and Play, it doesnt apply to most domestic cars. The stock wiring for the 9005 circuit is too high of gauge. the relay kit has a lower gauge to provide more current. the relay kit also has an input that you plug your 9005 plug into. it uses your stock switching system to turn the lights off/on. the relay senses the switching and switches itself to pass voltage. Anyway, it all makes sense but what doesnt make sense is that they said my kit was plug and play when i bought it. They offered the relay kit to me discounted. They also said their HID Conversion kits for 2009 will include the relay kit. Just verify before buying. Good Luck.:)

Thanks for the guide blue on blue, really helpful. Cut mine open and redid them, and I got blinded compared to before. Took the better part of a day, but it is worth doing or taking jamie up on his deal. Looking to get HID's here in a few weeks. Thanks again.

Hey, i did the install of the HID kit from the auction site and the ballasts stopped working immediatley. Callled their techs to troubleshoot and they said people with mark viiis' are continually calling about problems. Just to inform you guys about to do this install, you need a relay kit with the HID conversion kit. before you buy, make sure you have this in the kit or buy it seperatly. basically, instead if getting the voltage from the 9005 light circuit plug, it gets the voltage direct from the battery with more amperage to drive the ballasts properly. Appearantly when they say Plug and Play, it doesnt apply to most domestic cars. The stock wiring for the 9005 circuit is too high of gauge. the relay kit has a lower gauge to provide more current. the relay kit also has an input that you plug your 9005 plug into. it uses your stock switching system to turn the lights off/on. the relay senses the switching and switches itself to pass voltage. Anyway, it all makes sense but what doesnt make sense is that they said my kit was plug and play when i bought it. They offered the relay kit to me discounted. They also said their HID Conversion kits for 2009 will include the relay kit. Just verify before buying. Good Luck.:)
I can help you and steer you in the right direction

Thanks for the guide blue on blue, really helpful. Cut mine open and redid them, and I got blinded compared to before. Took the better part of a day, but it is worth doing or taking jamie up on his deal. Looking to get HID's here in a few weeks. Thanks again.

Cool, glad it worked out for you!

anyone who doesnt want to attempt to restore your own headlights or dont have the time, i'll do them, i have a post in the for sale section $80 to redo them inside and out, or $160 for a pair of mine plus a $30 dollar refund when you send me back your crappy old headlights for a core. they can be rusty, yellow, nasty looking even paint over spray, but they cant be broken otherwise i dont refund you a core, i have to be able to restore them too.

MAFIOSO:
Hey man, yeah...installed this stupid relay kit and the ballasts don't seem to work. So, I will try and send those back and get replacemetn ones. This project has taken forever. Would love any suggestions you have.

Below is an outline of my headlight refurb, from the initial rechroming, to aftermarket HID fitment and associated modifications: (multi function switch mod for lows and highs and check exterior lamp message removal)

View attachment 32830

Where did you get the templates for the re-chroming? Did you make them yourself? How can I get a set of those? Thanks!

Hi Mr Haywood!

I've been planning to buy some more chrome and cut them to size for those in need. Give me a few days, and I'll get back to you.

Alternatively, Jamie97lsc can restore your headlights for you for 80 per set. (assuming you may be in a rush and didn't want to do it yourself)

But yeah, give me some time and I'll get the supplies together - I have been procrastinating due to a general lack of demand! Lol.

'Preciate that. I'll get back to you later on that one. I'm taking some time off work in the next month and plan to do a lot of work to my '96 Mark. I've ordered new front air spring/shocks, a left upper control arm, front brake rotors, HID light kit, and several other parts. I plan to do most of the work myself since I am on a limited budget. And I have the air spring/shock replacement down to a science. I can repalce both sides and be ready to drive in less than one hour. And I need to restore the headlights so the HID's will do their job. My lights are terrible. They are yellow and foggy and the chrome on the interior is almost completely yellow or brown in most spots. I can barely see at night even on bright. Anyway, thanks again.

Ah... We may have a problem. The templates I made are for the 1st gen halogen housings, I have never worked on an HID housing and so don't know if the shapes will be the same. I'm pretty sure they will be different.

Best bet in your case then would be to either make up your own as you go, or send them to Jamie97lsc.

If you have some time off coming up, shouldn't be too bad. What I did was get old xmas cards and cut them up to rough size, put them in then cut again. Once I had the xmas card templates perfect, I then got the trimbrite and cut to size. This way, no chrome was wasted.

You can buy Trimbrite or a wider chrome tape roll called Guardian chrome. (the latter will give you a more seamless look)

i have done both halogen housings and hid housings for 93-96. i have pics of the hid housings i redid for my 93.

Ah... We may have a problem. The templates I made are for the 1st gen halogen housings, I have never worked on an HID housing and so don't know if the shapes will be the same. I'm pretty sure they will be different.

Best bet in your case then would be to either make up your own as you go, or send them to Jamie97lsc.

If you have some time off coming up, shouldn't be too bad. What I did was get old xmas cards and cut them up to rough size, put them in then cut again. Once I had the xmas card templates perfect, I then got the trimbrite and cut to size. This way, no chrome was wasted.

You can buy Trimbrite or a wider chrome tape roll called Guardian chrome. (the latter will give you a more seamless look)

I have standard hologen bulbs. I'm getting the HID upgrade kit.

Oh really? Cool, no problem. Leave it with me and I'll see about tracking down the supplies.

Just one thing to be aware of: Most parts of the housings can be 'brightened up' by single pieces of cut to shape chrome tape, however, the rear of the low and high beams have to be done as several strips. (due to their shape) Only piece I don't bother with is the rear section of the amber. (shape is awkward)

very nice writeup, and instructions.
I recently just bought another Mark VIII (96') I am thinking about doing this to.
What type of H.I.D. Kit did you use? Or has anyone had any luck with the Kits they have for sale on EBAY?

thanks
kevin

Hi Kevin! The kit I used for my halogen housings was a 4300K 9005 base. (9005 is the base you need for 1st gen halogen housings - they are a direct swap)

Got mine from an Ebay seller called japanimportshop. Others have used their kits successfully too, although I found their shipping time to be a little slow. Any of those Ebay sellers should be ok though, provided their feedback is good.

If you are not keen on the Ebay kit idea, then there are two sellers of kits here on LvC:

04SSHD and Mafioso. (buying a kit from either of these guys would give you aftermarket support that you may not get from an Ebay seller)

Anyone modified the low beam deflector housing (the chunck of black metal cutting off direct view of the lightbulb) or even removed it completely? My standard bulbs aren't that bright so I figured just removing it won't be that blinding? My brights are acceptable as is so I guess these would be too. I'll be doing hids much later if this works ok.

MAFIOSO:
Hey man, yeah...installed this stupid relay kit and the ballasts don't seem to work. So, I will try and send those back and get replacemetn ones. This project has taken forever. Would love any suggestions you have.

I think you may have got yourself a junk kit or it was damaged during shipping. I got a kit for $59.99 with free shipping from http://stores.ebay.com/HID-Direct

My housings were only a few years old and rarely ever used and also garage kept so in other words, they look like new ones. I bought the 10,000K brilliant blue kit and it arrived within 2 to 3 days. The kit is from a US seller and is plug and play. I can see signs a mile ahead now and they look like they have their own built in light, glowing in a bright blue white color. The reflectors on the pavement look like LED pods in the street when I come up on them. I have had no issue with a ballast or bulb not working. The only thing I had to do was barely bend the inside deflector outward just a little so that the bulb would go all the way in but I have two solid beams coming out and I could not be happier. I don't even need to bother with the bright light wire splicing because the low beams do the job alone. As for the message that pops up, I do need to snip that wire but for now, I just press the reset button and drive on. There is no comparison between halogens and HID's. Halogens just simply blow! They sucked with my crystal clear housings but now, I can see everything in front of me. Jamie and I talked and he recommended the 6000K diamond white a while back but I wanted something with a blue tint so that's the reason I went with the 10,000K brilliant blue. They aren't any brighter than the 6000K, it's just when you add color, they have to add more (KELVIN) to compensate for the color you choose. Too many cars around here with the normal white HID's, just another reason I went with the blue but all in all, HID's are the way to go if you really want to see what's in front of you. I'll post pics soon of the outside and also what I see from the inside on the HWY.

This just an idea of what they look like in my residential area and no, they were not aimed when I took these pics last night but now they are aimed. It's been raining here and I found that having a long stretch of street in front of you works best when aiming these.

Lights%20001.jpg
Lights%20002.jpg
Lights%20003.jpg
Lights%20004.jpg

Very blue but still not bad. :)

I found aiming to be abit of a pain - mainly because the poorly designed housings don't show clear, crisp lines and cut off points, like many other lights do.

Funny, my lights were fine for ages, then I decided to re-aim one day. Little did I realize - the garage door I was using to set my beams was bent! Lol. Hey Jamie - that's why I had that one light 'cock eyed' Remember we set it straight? Well, it was fine after! Lol.

Very blue but still not bad. :)

I found aiming to be abit of a pain - mainly because the poorly designed housings don't show clear, crisp lines and cut off points, like many other lights do.

Funny, my lights were fine for ages, then I decided to re-aim one day. Little did I realize - the garage door I was using to set my beams was bent! Lol. Hey Jamie - that's why I had that one light 'cock eyed' Remember we set it straight? Well, it was fine after! Lol.

Really they're not as blue as some I have seen but then again, they might have bought a different kit. When I'm on the HWY, I see more of a bright white with a hint of blue, especially on reflective signs (speed signs). I do agree though, in the pic, they do seem quite blue (on the outside). I figured out of all people, you would be the one to like the blue the best.;) If you had my kit, you would then be "93' blue on blue on blue" Yes, aiming the halogen lenses can be annoying but once it's said and done, halogens are a thing of the past for me. I'll never go back. Someone will have to pay me to turn on my bright lights. I find them useless now. Maybe later I'll do the pinning and add another kit for the high beams but it's no rush.

This information may have already been said here but I just learned tonight that the 95 Mark VIII was the first car in North America to ever have HID lighting and then Audi, Mercedes, Lexus and the rest followed. I also read that using the halogen lenses with HID kits were better then the original HID lenses??? Something about a better spread pattern but anyway, I have no complaints at all. I would spend $60 any day before I would $1000 for some OEM HID housings. When I get on the HWY tomorrow night, I'll try my best to get a pic of what you really can see WAY up ahead.

I already know that Jamie is gonna come in here yappin about mine being too blue but he can't say much until he stops driving around with his purple ones.:p BTW, thanks Gilby and you too blue on blue for getting this mile long thread started.

I do agree though, in the pic, they do seem quite blue (on the outside). I figured out of all people, you would be the one to like the blue the best.;) If you had my kit, you would then be "93' blue on blue on blue"

Lol. That whole blue thing must be fate following me around! I've owned 2 blue interior / exterior cars now, purely by chance. (other was a Nissan - guess what model it was? A Bluebird of all things!) Lolol.

Anyway, glad you are happy with your kit - looks to be lighting up the road very well anyway.

:Beer

Members online

No members online now.
Back