Window Regulator Replacement. How-To w/ Pictures.

might as well get the whole thing at autozone or o reillys. they have a lifetime warranty and will replace them.. i had three already replaced from autozone..

Thanks, will do. Also sorry for yesterdays double post, I didn't see that the comments had to be approved before showing up and thought I had not submitted the first one so I did a second one. Also thanks to the guy that did this write up!

Guys I want to add something to this article from my experience. Be extra careful while putting the regulator that you dont pull on the cable from the door handle b/c theres a black plastic part that goes attached to the latch and if it comes loose your door wont close and your lock wont work. Just my 2 cents.

im so stressed.

I just replaced my drivers side regulator. Now my door wont lock. not even with the remote.

im so stressed some1 please help.

did I mess something up bad or is it an easy fix. I wana fix it 2morrow morning. :(

If it wont look with a key, you've prob jammed a cable (or something like that) if the button on the inside wont work its either a cable or you forgot to plug something back in.... My.2

If it wont look with a key, you've prob jammed a cable (or something like that) if the button on the inside wont work its either a cable or you forgot to plug something back in.... My.2

Or the rod isn't connected to the handle. Can you hear the solenoid cycle?

It may be possible to set the rod in the wrong position, such that the handle always pulls it far enough to unlock it.

I suspect that this will be easy to correct, once you figure out what the problem is. I doubt that you broke anything.

ok i am having trouble getting the new rear window regulator clip over the pin. i mounted the new window regulator and then tried to let the window down and getting the peg top go into the clip. when i pushed the window down it snapped the clip off. is there an easier way to get the peg to go into the clip? should i run the power window down so that the window and clip are not at the top? any help would be great thanks

it is a 2001 Lincoln ls

... should i run the power window down so that the window and clip are not at the top? any help would be great thanks

it is a 2001 Lincoln ls

Yes. Use the window switch to lower the regulator clip to the spot provided for access to it.

i saw something about driving the pin out is that what i should do and put in back in trough the clip?

update got the pin out of the window. When i get the new regulator i will try and install it and then replace the pin through the clip. I hope that works.

Last edited:
Looks like it's my turn for this. Used the auto up function for my passenger front window and heard a cracking sound and it sounded like a small piece of plastic broke and fell down inside the door. I can hear it move around inside the bottom of the door if I repeatedly swing it back and forth. The window still rolls up and down fine but I hear a slight clunk noise when doing so.

Aside from some minor differences in removing the door card panel, is this pretty much the same procedure for a 2nd gen? Also, any particular vendor you advise for purchasing the regulator unit?

It's a little different.
The door panel comes off a little differently: http://deneau.info/ls/s6x~us~en~file=s6x15007.htm~gen~ref.htm
(You'll have to pull so hard that you'll think you are going to break it.
http://deneau.info/ls/s6x~us~en~file=s6x1b012.htm~gen~ref.htm
http://deneau.info/ls/s6x~us~en~file=s6x1b011.htm~gen~ref.htm
The service manual doesn't say it, but you have to index the motor to the regulator. Bring the glass all the way up. Press the up button and let the motor run till it stops. Now attach the motor to the regulator.
You'll also have to reinitialize the smart motor: http://deneau.info/ls/s6x~us~en~file=s6x1b006.htm~gen~ref.htm

Thanks for the timely response and information Joe. I just ordered a regulator from amazon for $48, I believe it's just another Dorman unit. Regardless, just one question as of now. In the process of motor initialization etc, do I have to be concerned or aware of breaking anything? As in, if I made a mistake or whatever the case may be and the window were to reach the top of the door seat during an "Auto-Up" command, could it continue to apply force and break part of the regulator unit or would it just automatically retract like it does if it endures enough resistance? Long ass sentence, sorry.

It won't break anything. The motor will stall. It will be fine.

word of warning on the dorman regulator...

the four bolts/studs that hold the regular to the interior door panel must be made of cast aluminum or cheddar cheese, they will snap right off if you put any real torque on them.

when doing the last regulator, I was using a battery powered 1/4" impact set to its lowest setting, snap
then I used a normal 1/4 ratchet on the second bolt, snap
so for the third and forth nuts I just used a regular nut driver and barely got them tight.

The service manual doesn't say it, but you have to index the motor to the regulator. Bring the glass all the way up. Press the up button and let the motor run till it stops. Now attach the motor to the regulator.

Is it really best to bring the motor to it's end? I would think a little bit of tension/slack would ensure the window closes properly. But I guess that could also chip away at the fragile plastic clips' lives

Is it really best to bring the motor to it's end? I would think a little bit of tension/slack would ensure the window closes properly. But I guess that could also chip away at the fragile plastic clips' lives

There's never any slack in the cable.

I mean tension between the glass and the top of the door frame

That's not how it works. It will stop under tension. This just gets it to where it knows where to expect the end. It still detects it by the current increase.

The fun I tell ya ... it never stops!

glassdown.jpg

Unfortunately I did NOT have my orange juice this morning.

glassdown.jpg

Loud1, this Dorman regulator it holds up? All good? Fits?

Just swap the motor over and be mindful of the four bolts/studs made of cheddar cheese?

About to pull the RockAuto trigger for a regulator.

Anyone?

yes, it fit great and all seemed to go well (aside from breaking those studs off and having to drill and customize some bolts to replace them)

if youve done it before its about a 30-45 min job, if you've never had the door panel off, maybe an hour and a half...

the rock is where I got all my regulators from (while I've replace a bunch of them, never the same one twice!)

Right on Bud, thanks for the confirmation, ordered. It'll be my very first LS window regulator .... Can't wait!

Members online

Back