Window Regulator Replacement. How-To w/ Pictures.

V-8

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Here is a How-To, to replace the window regulator.

My car is a 2001 V8. I dont know how much the years have changed it, but this is what i have.

This is the driver side. Im sure the other doors are pretty similar.

This took me about 30 minutes to do. It was fairly easy.

Tools Needed:

Phillips head screwdriver
Flat Head screwdriver.
Rachet set ;
7/16
11mm bit.

There are 7 screws holding the door panel on. There are 2 screws under a flap in the door handle.
LSWindow001a.jpg

You will need to pry off this piece, to gain access to the screw behind it.
LSWindow002a.jpg

This is the door panel off the door. There about 7 plastic tabs holding the door panel on, Use caution taking the panel off, they break easy.Un hook the blue connector, and unplug the white connector from the door module.
LSWindow003a.jpg

Unplug the wire connector from the mirror, remove the sound deadening stuff from door.
LSWindow004a.jpg

You need to unscrew the 7/16 Brass bolts . There are about 7 of these.
LSWindow005a.jpg

Loosen, but dont remove these bolts. they clamp onto your window.
LSWindow007a.jpg

LSWindow008a.jpg

Now the fun part. You will need to work this whole thing out the door. It will take some work, but it comes out.I didnt remove it fully, just enough to get the regulator out.

In this image, you will see a black bolt. There will be another one to your left, and one below. These hold the regulator to the door.
LSWindow008a.jpg

I had to raise my window up to loosen the clamps. Make sure you use something to hold the window up, so it dont fall down.

Unscrew the 3 bolts holding the regulator on, pull the old out. Put the new one in.

Now you just have to reverse direction and put everything back on.

Thats it, your done!

This is my old regulator. As you can see, the wires fell off the track.
LSWindow009.jpg

**Sorry for some of the pics being small....photobucket did it, why?, i dont know.

Thanks,

Nice to see what you're looking forward to. I have to do this over the weekend. The pictures are well appreciated. What did you hold your window up with?

Perhaps we can get Joeychgo to set this up as a tech article? It certainly looks useful enough!

Props to V-8 for taking the time to document and post it!

That is B A man. Did you have to by the the motor with the regulator? What was the part #?

I never found a part number. I tried many times here, but never got one.

My fiancees dad works for a L/M dealer, and he got it for me. I told him i needed a front driver side regulator, and thats what i got.

Like HyeLifeLS said, the motor came with it.

It cost me a total of $100.

Im glad everyone appreciates the write-up. I did , because i needed info , and it wasnt out there to find. So i figured id put it up there, for others to use.

Maybe make this a Sticky, since its such a common problem?

00_slow_5spd_ls said:
what size speaker do you have in you fornt door, 5x7?
Yup, 5x7 Polk's. Same for the back door too.

I want to know why these are such a pos have had two of them replaced now the pas front if making noise. poor design they have been covered under the ford extended warenty but still costing me $100 each time

i just wanted to thank you for this write-up. this happened to me today on the rear window.. so i'll be doing this myself . the cables are off the racks on mine aswell and i wasn't sure if it was repairable.

My rear drivers side window just took a crap, atleast its stuck in the closed position. Its under warranty and i have an appointment next week. Its weird because the rear driver window is probably the least used window and thats the one that broke. Odd. Must not be a usage type thing.

Good write-up on the front doors. Thanks!

FWIW, the rear doors are different. The rear regulator mechanism can be purchased seperately from the motor (~$45) and the old motor is reused. There should be a link around here somewhere for the rear door details. Not too hard to do either.

It happened to my drivers side front earlier in the week. Does anybody know where the best place is online to buy the regulator. My local dealers quoted $142.17+labor. I checked www.directfordparts.com they sell them for $99. I probably wont find one cheaper.

LLSE said:
I checked www.directfordparts.com they sell them for $99. I probably wont find one cheaper.
I would go check some other dealers if possible. I just bought two oil filters from the dealer and they cost me $6.75, the website has them for $6.54. Factor in the shipping and it really isnt cheaper than my local ford dealer.

Rears?

Anybody familiar with rear window regulators? I need to know how to get the clamp off of the window. It has a little plastic cylinder that runs through a hole in the window. The bracket that it connects to comes with the new regulator. I can't figure out if you just pry the plastic bracket over the cylinder thingie or if you're supposed to remove it from the window.

By the way, the rear driver side window regulator without the motor cost me $49 and change at the dealership.
Thanks

Just did mine last week.To get that plastic thing off. take a small screw driver and beat it through the center. Its 2 pieces one will come out of the other. Its pretty easy once you see what im talking about.

BTW. Did my front passenger regulator this weekend following this guide. It was a piece of cake! If anyone thinks this is hard, replace the regulators in a door that just has small holes to work through! The fact that you can take off the big silver plate is just boss!

Thanks for the How-To!

MAn, i wish i had this when i had to change mine, had to do it the hard way, not knowing which way to go.

Props to V-8 again for the window regulator How-to. I just used it AGAIN ! :mad:

But, now both my windows have new regulators! :)

Anyway, I wanted to post up a thank you again to V-8 for taking the time to write it up.

i also have to do this project AGAIN. Is there anything that can harden the plastic piece? It seems thats where the weak point is atleast for me it cracks. Is there any liquid plastic or epoxy or something to use for that? $200+ buks in windows that shouldnt break in 3 months =bull.

Ah I love the high class dryer lint insulation they added to the car. Good writeup man.

Members online

No members online now.
Back