Window Regulator Replacement. How-To w/ Pictures.

i also have to do this project AGAIN. Is there anything that can harden the plastic piece? It seems thats where the weak point is atleast for me it cracks. Is there any liquid plastic or epoxy or something to use for that? $200+ buks in windows that shouldnt break in 3 months =bull.

Actually I think it needs to be a little more flexible/durable, not harder. It is currently hard and brittle. It's really sad that we're forced to replace the entire assembly when a 10 cent piece breaks.

Question:
Yesterday, when lowering my drivers side glass..I heard a distinct "pop" from within the door panel. Stopped and put the glass back up. This morning at the drive through, same thing. Window functions fine, but heard that pop again.
Is this the regulator about to let go?

Shame on Ford

They been making auto windows for years, then they leave us hanging with these funky parts. Shame on them.

They been making auto windows for years, then they leave us hanging with these funky parts. Shame on them.

Agreed. Between my 2002 Exploder & 2001 LS I've replaced 5 of 8 regulators. The first LS reg went after I slammed the drivers rear door too hard. The door shut, I heard a faint snap & the window dropped down. For what these things cost new, the regulators are absolute junk. Now my drivers side front door is making the crinkly cable sound, so it's gonna go any day now.

Wait until you have to replace a $9.00 ball joint for $250 + Labor.
I really hate the engineering for all cars that cause do-it-yourselfer to pay the big bucks.

Thanks!
Finally I broke one of them on driver's side. I found out about this issue long time ago and made a habit of opening and closing the windows a lot.
Mine is 01 LS by the way. They could have been replaced by the 1st owner as I bought it in 2003

Thank you for the write-up! I feel like I'm going to be doing this myself soon. Possibly to two windows.

Great write-up! I bought a window regulator and had it done in about an hour.

Definately a DIY job for those with basic mechanical skills;)

Thanks for the great post on how to do this. I have owned my car for a less than a month and my driver side window regulator just puked and is stuck in the down position. Temps here in Upper Michigan were 23 degrees this morning. Lucky for me I didn't take the insurance off of my Mitsubishi 3000 VR4 that was going into storage for the winter. Just ordered the part from "Autopartsdirect2you" on ebay. $69.99 and free shipping. I found them from someone else in this group recommending them. Ordered on today Wednesday and will be here Friday. Plus the part has a lifetime warranty. Below is a link to the auction.

Kyle

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&viewitem=&item=310092521915

Well the regulator was supposed to arrive Friday but it came on Monday. I already had the door taken apart and the old regulator removed. It didn't take long to install the new one. One thing I did was take the window completely out of the car. Then I installed the regulator loose and then installed the window back in the door. Then I tightened it all down. It was not that hard to do, I would say the hardest part for a novice would be removing the door panel without damaging the pins that hold the panel on.

Knowing that the regulator from the dealer was over $200 and probably the $200 to install it, doing this yourself is a good way to save some $$$.

Kyle

passenger window froze and fell off the tracks when my passenger 15 yr old cousin tried to roll it down, motor is working fine, need a regulator, where can I get one that doesnt cost 150$ at a dealership.

passenger window froze and fell off the tracks when my passenger 15 yr old cousin tried to roll it down, motor is working fine, need a regulator, where can I get one that doesnt cost 150$ at a dealership.

that's how it is... :shifty:

If your motor is rolling up and down then your regulator may be fine. I had the same problem. I used this thread to take the panel and everything off and found that the plastic clips that go on the regulator track and fasten to the window had broken. So after a couple hours of bsin decided to superglue the clip back together and heat it up with a lighter. Worked fine every since! It occasionally pops and makes a cracking noise but i just roll it up slow. This is just a alternative, I personally didn't want to spend the $75-$100 for a regulator when all I needed was the clips :lol:

If your motor is rolling up and down then your regulator may be fine. I had the same problem. I used this thread to take the panel and everything off and found that the plastic clips that go on the regulator track and fasten to the window had broken. So after a couple hours of bsin decided to superglue the clip back together and heat it up with a lighter. Worked fine every since! It occasionally pops and makes a cracking noise but i just roll it up slow. This is just a alternative, I personally didn't want to spend the $75-$100 for a regulator when all I needed was the clips :lol:

oh really sounds good my friend! if super glue won't do it I'm sure duct tape will LoL by the way did you take the whole panel off? or did you work threw the metal plate? I'm not quite sure, I've taken the panel off and propped my window up but never bothered to work on it, for I don't have a garage and it it's -3 outside.

oh really sounds good my friend! if super glue won't do it I'm sure duct tape will LoL by the way did you take the whole panel off? or did you work threw the metal plate? I'm not quite sure, I've taken the panel off and propped my window up but never bothered to work on it, for I don't have a garage and it it's -3 outside.

The metal panel stayed on. Just took the finishing door panel and sound reduction stuff. It was a 2 person job, you'll have to have someone hold the window about 1/4 way down so you can fasten the clip back to the window. And make sure you check both clips since there are 2. Good luck!

2 person job no problem, luckily I have 4 arms, will I need to glue the clip to the window? wish I knew all this the first time I took it apart.

my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

how do i remove this plug from a lincoln ls 2005 front door panel. please help asap im trying to figure it out now
thanks

also i know there is a red sliding latch to unlock it but i believe one is missing from the top of the plug. how can i fix or still remove it?

Door panel removal...

On the 2nd gen LS, do you still have to take off the piece behind the door handle. I'm having trouble taking it off. Putting new speakers in...:headbang:

On the 2nd gen LS, do you still have to take off the piece behind the door handle. I'm having trouble taking it off. Putting new speakers in...:headbang:
Never mind, got the rear door panels off. On the 2nd gen, you do NOT take the piece off behind the door handle..

Once again, props on this thread. I got the pleasure of replacing my driver's side today. Using this how-to it was a piece of cake. I bet I could do it again in about 1/2hr - 45 min. My stealership tried to charge me $180 for the regulator/motor combo. I got it from the good gentlemen at August Pohl in Benton Harbor, MI. I'm also fairly certain I broke the South Bend to Benton Harbor speed record when I went to pick it up.

OK not to take away from this thread but you can get the window regulaters at Autozone for 80 bucks

Members online

No members online now.
Back