What did you do to your Mark VIII today?

I've been running Mobil 1 since I got my first Mark way back in '05 and change it ever 10,000 miles. It still comes out light brown and not black. First Mark with 133k went to 210k no problem with it.

Wont use it with a flat tappet lifter engine however since the change has effected those engines lifters.

I might add I ran it in my WRX for more protection with my Turbo but the engine did wind up having a main bearing knock. I associate that with the fact I shift at 9000rpm bouncing off the rev limiter pushing 32psi boost tho :shifty:

You shouldn't use any "off the shelf" oil with a flat tappet cam at least not when its new, once broken in it shouldn't matter...thats been since 04-05 when manufacturers were forced to remove the zinc from their formuations. The last hold outs were the diesel oils but they are zinc free too as of 2010-2011.

ignore Snapper, he wasn't breast-fed
-----
how about that new Caddy CTS 2 door? sweeet
---
Alan, I gotta tell ya, there's a lot of nice cars riding around 285 early on Sat/Sun mornings...I made my typical M-F work commute from Acworth to downtown Decatur today

Not all of us could be breast-fed until we were teens Dan

Put my stereo wiring harness together for my double din touch screen stereo/gps. Just gotta get the key to remove the stock stereo move the module at the back and install the stereo. Hopefully be in as of tomorrow!

Just turned this today...

Odometer.jpg

Think I need front Rotors too now :confused:

Odometer.jpg

Filled my tires with 80% Nitrogen then went scouting for a nice background for the calendar photoshoot.

If your dash is any reflection on how clean you keep the car I suggest you start with a good rub down.

Amazing what a flash on a cell phone will make visible :confused: Aside from that it's a daily driver so no way is it getting a detailing. It's lucky I just ordered a set of slotted/drilled Brakemotive Rotors and Ceramic Pads to get my stopping abilities back. Plan on putting them on while I do my LCA bushings when I have the front end apart.

Check your headlamps bro. ;) Looks good though from what I casn see. The black dash probably help hide the gaps better.
I have a new set of hids coming soon. Last guy who owned the car took out the hids and put in reg halogen bulbs and wired it up wrong so it always shows the check headlamps when they're on. Will be fixing soon lol. And ya the black dash helps but still not perfect so I need to fix it lol

Just to kinda touch on the Mobil1 issue. A few years back their 10w weights thinned out significantly. Not sure why. Most cars that come with Mobil use a 5w20 although some do use the 10w30. Now if the car spent its whole life on the formula the block is usually well protected but an engine spending its life on dino oil and then switching to the thinner Mobil is where people have issues. The damage is already done and the Mobil makes it worse.

Castrol (GTX in particular, not the blend) for some reason got really good a few years ago and has held the edge.

Now this isn't just some random thought. I have a friend that works in an independent testing lab in Houston. Every three months he himself gets to test all the major name brand synthetics. I just got off the phone with him and he states that it is still the same with Castrol coming out as having the best lubricity and lasting the longest. Mobil is in the middle of the field and Penzoil on the end. He did say surprisingly that Royal Purple is lasting much longer than before. It used to test as the slickest but broke down quick, the equivalent of 2000 miles of normal usage but all this year has tested to last on par with most oils. It has lost some lubricity but not enough to make any difference for a road going motor.

Filled my tires with 80% Nitrogen then went scouting for a nice background for the calendar photoshoot.

Uhhhh... so you just put air in them?? Air is 78% Nitrogen.. which is what you'd get out of an air compressor, I'm hoping you didnt fall for the Nitrogen tire scam.

He did say surprisingly that Royal Purple is lasting much longer than before. It used to test as the slickest but broke down quick, the equivalent of 2000 miles of normal usage but all this year has tested to last on par with most oils. It has lost some lubricity but not enough to make any difference for a road going motor.

Would make sense as I use Royal Purple Shockproof in my 6 speed manual in my STi. I get around a month worth of driving and drag racing before I have to replace it in the trans, it starts grinding when I flat foot shift.

Uhhhh... Oxygen is 78% Nitrogen..
eh....yea, no..
:slam
---
they're separate and unique elements (remember the periodic table?) our atmosphere, aka AIR is roughly 3/4 nitrogen, 1/4 oxygen with some argon mixed in for fun....did you find that egr valve yet? :confused:

eh....yea, no..
:slam
---
they're separate and unique elements (remember the periodic table?) our atmosphere, aka AIR is roughly 3/4 nitrogen, 1/4 oxygen with some argon mixed in for fun....did you find that egr valve yet? :confused:

Like I said.

New double DINN installed this weekend and she's out for paint now.

Can't wait to see her done in a couple of weeks..........

photodpt.jpg

Oh BTW, gas prices here fell below $2.99/gal this week! woot-woot!

Members online

No members online now.
Back