What did you do to your Mark VIII today?

Well everyone, my air ride has finally given out after 19 years, 4 months!

Happened after work. Noticed the ride home was a lot bumpier than normal.

I expected it to have happened sooner but I'll get her back on the road soon.

It would have been nice to see it go over 20 years.

That's what I keep trying to tell people. Everybody asks me why I keep the air ride on my Mark(s). Why not go to springs? The air ride is nothing but trouble. It's unreliable. It's expesive. Etc. I love it when I see a Mark that has been on air for almost 20 years with no major problems. My '97 didn't start giving problems until it was about 13 years old and had over 200k miles on it. It is sort of expensive to work on, but once it's fixed, it's good to go for years and years.

:)

That's what I keep trying to tell people. Everybody asks me why I keep the air ride on my Mark(s). Why not go to springs? The air ride is nothing but trouble. It's unreliable. It's expesive. Etc. I love it when I see a Mark that has been on air for almost 20 years with no major problems. My '97 didn't start giving problems until it was about 13 years old and had over 200k miles on it. It is sort of expensive to work on, but once it's fixed, it's good to go for years and years.

:)

Those front struts usually go first. The rear air canister would be next.

air shock a1.JPG

At least Ford knows what they are :rolleyes:

air shock a1.JPG

So no Calico paint job? Awwww ;(

Yeah I'm getting a gravity gun, then deciding on the paint. Ultimately it'll be a form of Black, but I'm not sure which.

It'll sit in primer for a week or so. Right now im just smoothing everything out with finishing filler then a quick shot of High build and then a light scuff with my new sanding block and 120 grit to show any high/low spots

The dent that was on the passenger 1/4 is all but gone ;) A nice sanding block makes a world of difference

I'll keep suggesting it till someone does it! LAVA RED!!

24489d1300156678-2010-2011-602.jpg

My Son sent me pics of my 93 up in flames! Another one lost to the damn cruise switch! I will be towing it to the scrap metal yard tomorrow. I'm devastated. I loved that car. I will have some LSC housings and a 93 driveshaft for sale soon

Wow, Rich that really sucks. Sorry to hear that. I think thats the first Mark VIII that I've heard of catching on fire because of the cruise control deactivation switch.

My Son sent me pics of my 93 up in flames! Another one lost to the damn cruise switch! I will be towing it to the scrap metal yard tomorrow. I'm devastated. I loved that car. I will have some LSC housings and a 93 driveshaft for sale soon

i want to see pics

Wow, Rich that really sucks. Sorry to hear that. I think thats the first Mark VIII that I've heard of catching on fire because of the cruise control deactivation switch.

I'm thinking that was the cause. I called Jamie and he never had the recall done. I assumed he did it and I never bothered with it. My son said he had the cruise set at 65 with the windows down. The blower motor came on by itself. A couple miles later, the cruise shut off. When he got off the highway, he said the car smelled funny but ran fine. Three miles later at a light, smoke was coming out from under the glove box and flames were visible by the passengers front wheel and windshield. He ran the light and floored it thinking he can put it out if he could get home. When he hit the driveway and shut it off, the whole dashboard was on fire along with the cowl outside. He grabbed the hose to no avail. He said the hood blew up in little pieces and he knew it was done. He said the interior is non existant but the headlights, grille, tail lights, and tires and wheels are fine. It just sucks. That car always started and ran great even with 180000 miles. Oh well..I will find another one. He wants another gen 1

damn, that really blows, glad your son's okay
----
...I remember years ago receiving a letter about that recall from FoMoCo....maybe I should look into now :shifty:

damn, that really blows, glad your son's okay
----
...I remember years ago receiving a letter about that recall from FoMoCo....maybe I should look into now :shifty:

Thanks, Dan. He's fine just scared. When he saw flames he didnt know to get out or try to get home. It was only a half mile. He said even on fire it still held him back to the seat!

Makes me want to install a ground switch on my battery so bad now. I always have a fire extinguisher in my trunk for this reason.
The hood probably blew apart because the fire was near the fuel filter area, lines probably melted. Sorry for the loss of the ride but glad your kids ok

drove the white one 90 miles; drove the brown one 3 miles;
the brown one shreds...the white one.....eh, rides smooth;
the brown one's brakes are dry now
---
revised fix list:
brown one- tstat, imrc pod r/r; the white one; blend door actuator (and much more)
:wrench

Did my recall just last year! Sat in the driveway for 4 years or so with battery disconnected. So I wasn't worried to much about it. Once I got it back on the road the recall was fixed pdq!

i took my 93 in for the recall when the letters went out.
a few months later, i found all original wiring and a leaking break pressure switch.
the dealer didn't do ****. screw those guys.

Members online

No members online now.
Back