What did you do to your Mark VIII today?

Getting closer to my new Mark :):):):):):)

Cobra is still in the shop. They replaced the crank position sensor and is started up and ran fine on Monday. Yesterday they called and said it knocked off again and won't start. This car is a POS from hell! I don't get it. So she's driving my Exploder right now with the beat up fender and front end half-assed aligned. Plus it needs to be inspected before the end of the month. If it's not one thing it's ten others...such is my life...:rolleyes:

Washed it:

c55c11e6-3b4a-4bbc-8301-67e7bd1b75cc_zps4b7d7e4a.jpg

Snapped the serpentine belt on the Vortech MarkVIII today on the freeway and burped out 2.5 gallons of coolant. Finally got the new belt on with the help of a friend. Try putting the serpentine belt on a centrifugal setup Mark VIII sometime. I wanted to commit suicide.
It not a fun job!!!

after work, swapped power amps so the white one (dd) has a working stereo now :cool:
---
the brown one was running warm, so i burped it, fan came on, upper radi hose got hot, lower radi hose never got warm :shifty:
---
P6190389_zps24ba9bc3.jpg

the brown one was running warm, so i burped it, fan came on, upper radi hose got hot, lower radi hose never got warm

Upper hose receives the hot coolant from the motor, the lower will be cool as it's the return hose.

Upper hose receives the hot coolant from the motor, the lower will be cool as it's the return hose.
on my other car (the white one), with the new radi and MC t-stat, the lower hose went from cool to warm, indicating the tstat opened? it runs normal temps now btw
----on the brown car, the temp needle got up to the middle of the gauge pretty quickly, fan came on, lower hose stayed cool the whole time; something's wrong with it but I don't know what. I figured my tstat never opened? both heater core water hoses get warm/hot btw

Door lock solenoid came in yesterday from rock auto. Ordered on Monday came in on Wednesday...wow that was fast. Window motor should be here Thursday.

I now have two rear UCA's from a 95 t-bird that are identical to the Mark VIII UCA's excepting the "cutout" in the Mark VIII's. Also rcvd the bushings for replacement. Will have the outer bushing pressed out and new one inserted and then I can swap out the old. Pull-A-part charged me $26 for the UCA's. Check that off...next on my list is replacement of the throttle body...then headlamps...slow going, but she is my daily driver and running much better than when I got her! Love the car!

So now every time I get out of my car and it does the Air Ride Squat the car creaks so loud that people stop and look at my car :confused:
Replaced everything sept for the LCA joints or Tie rod ends and I know it's the LCA joints :mad:

Not the biggest thing to fix but a pain none the less.

However I just came upon ownership of yet another convertible...

View this entire album: SL350
I thought the Vette was gonna be enough to deal with and now a European Benz to try to figure out :Bang

I'm looking at a 380SL that same body style with hard and soft tops that I can get for $1000 bucks. Supposedly, the engine is locked up. I'm thinking if it's still around come tax time, I could get it and put the drivetrain out of my '97 Mark into it :D

ordered the entire driver side suspension from rock auto... wait a week or two and order the pass side...

Cool Benz
Now put the vett motor in it.

I have anything from my 502 BBC to a spare '96 4.6 engine. This Benz was restored in Germany by a Doctor and then brought to America where my Father bought it for some reason? The Bosch mechanical FI has a hick up that I have no clue how to fix :confused:

Most likely sell it off to someone looking for this '72 as it has a larger engine than other SL350's

One more day until my road trip to North Carolina!! Can't wait!!
from what I gather MG8, you've found a good deal on a good used Mark for Thaywood, and now you're gonna drive it to NC for him?
---
WOW, that caliber of altruism and kindness is very rare these days. Hats off to you. LMK if you pass through ATL and stop. Lunch is on me

Replaced DLA and window motor today. DLA put up a good fight, after about a half hour I just broke the top off and she came right out, new one went in easy peasy. First time that lock worked by the push of a button in eight years.
Put new window motor in, it went up/down perfect, put door panel back on and it stopped working. Pull panel off again, take motor out and test and it goes up/down perfectly, put panel back on and still works, move car to the driveway and it quits working. Now I'm thinking WTF! Pull panel for a third time, pull motor and re-box for a return.
Decided to take apart old motor and see what's up. Brushes and motor look new, pulled plastic and metal gear and noticed plastic gear turns metal gear but inside of plastic gear was stripped. This looks like an easy fix for me!. Clamped metal gear to plastic gear and drilled three holes through both and fastened together with screws and it works perfectly! That motor now should last a lifetime!
Wish I would have took pics of that fix...You would have been impressed! I'm going to do the same with the old ds window motor, I'll get some pics on that one. Once fixed like this it should never go bad again.

Door Lock Actuator.jpg

Window Motor.jpg

One more day until my road trip to North Carolina!! Can't wait!!

from what I gather MG8, you've found a good deal on a good used Mark for Thaywood, and now you're gonna drive it to NC for him?
---
WOW, that caliber of altruism and kindness is very rare these days. Hats off to you. LMK if you pass through ATL and stop. Lunch is on me

No kidding!! Rich is a great guy! I can't thank him enough for all he's done for me. If it weren't for him, I would probably never have another Mark VIII. Especially one with just 85k miles on it!! Thanks Rich! You have no idea how much I appreciate you buddy! :)

Members online

No members online now.
Back