What did you do to your LS today?

Where is your oil leaking from? I'm asking because a while back I had a small leak thought it might need a new pan gasket I replaced the plug for $1.99 and low and behold the leak stopped.
I had recently had the oil changed at "Iffy Lube" and they didn't tighten the filter properly. Since I intended to run it through a few drive cycles and then do another change myself, I'm going to go ahead and do that now. Good reminder on the drain plug thanks!

That is very much the wrong battery. That is not showing the LS any love. In the long term, you cause corrosion in the trunk (and the electrical bus and electronics modules in the trunk). It is also very unsafe as you could have a hydrogen fueled fire/explosion in the trunk and cabin.
Yes I concur. I've read all 14,708 threads on the venting topic. I have a Moroso sealed/vented box that is going in since the PO fubar'd the original mounts, but that is going to wait until I re-do/re-coat the whole trunk area a little later. Car is currently nowhere near daily driver status so I'm not too worried about the Hindenburg effect over the next couple of weeks.

You're kidding ... Home Depot in the USA sells car batteries? ... I must talk to our dope smoking Priminister. Can't get car batteries at HD here in CDN. See how deprived we are.
Yep I was surprised as hell myself and the prices were good for what has always been a decent brand imo. Strange that they wouldn't offer them in Canada as well. I put one in my Sierra last December and so far so good, but really only time will tell.

Yup yup ... yeah my 01 Silver Frost Garage Queen mostly sits on the battery tender.

01ls-jpg.jpg

It's what she does best. Hiding in the garage that is.
... Gotta get to that Secondary Timing chain & tentioner job soon.

and moon roof track guide repair,
and new speakers,
and third brake-light mod,
and,
and,
and,
and,

:(

Last edited:
Replace solenoid pack in transmission. Was shifting like it had a monster shift kit. Then install a transgo shift kit. Haven't filled it up full of fluid yet to see if it fixed it. was like a hundred degrees outside. Have crack in the oil pan that needs to be fixed before I can do too much.

Post "what you did to your LS today" thread.

I had these kicking around ....

and had applied three coats of clear to them.

polished them up ...

then finally got them on the wheels today ...

and finished cleaning the tires and rims up.

also cleaned the trunk out today (again).

and replaced the wiper blades and repolished the windshield with Aquapel glass treatment.

What did you do to your LS today? :)

View attachment 828455904

View attachment 828455905

View attachment 828455906

View attachment 828455907

View attachment 828455908

View attachment 828455909

View attachment 828455910

View attachment 828455912

View attachment 828455913
Why in the hell am I only getting 500 for a trade in value? I was even low balled to $177 WTF?

OK I'm stepping forward into the unknown. I've decided that, instead of pulling the 3.0L V6 out of my 'donor' car, I am going to rebuild the engine I pulled from my 2001 Getrag LS. I would not have attempted this had my wife and I not met and befriended a couple up the street a few months ago. They're great and he's invaluable. Mechanic all his life and he loves doing it. He helped me fix the transfer case in my 2004 Navigator a couple months ago. Now in last 2 days we've pulled the 3.0 apart and power washed and degreased the block and the front cover (which was absolutely black) and the 'girdle'. Cleaned up both heads with only the valves and that area still to be done. Going to have the crank polished tomorrow. We're also cleaning the pistons and will soon start reassembling. We have looked carefully for any sign of cracks and have found none. Going to, of course, replace the head gaskets so all should be well in that dept. Also all rings and bearings.
This is such a great learning experience for me and I must say that Jim, who is rebuilding a 454 of his own, is quite impressed with the internals of the 3.0L. That 'girdle' I mentioned above he says only hi performance engines are designed with those. Also the rods are the type that cost $700 for the 454. Some of the moving parts like the rings and bearings are a little worn after 200K miles. He says he sees signs that the engine did some high revving and also that the engine oil was not changed often enough and was not up to the heat of the high revving. I gotta cop to both of those. I did not keep up with oil changes like I should have :( and I didn't baby the engine at all. In fact when it was young I went to a gathering of LS owners in SoCal where we autocrossed our LSes and with the manual tranny, I did some very high rev high speed driving and scored a lower time that all the other LSes, even the V8s, and was real close to the time of a WRX. Let a guy who owned a beemer and was one of the event organizers drive it and he really pushed it. I could tell he was more impressed than he let on when he said 'this feels a lot like my beemer just not quite up to it'. Oh well.
So wish me luck and I'll certainly post updates once in a while.

You should make a thread on your rebuild of the v6, with lots of pictures.
That's a good idea. I'll see what I can do. I've already power washed the block and the girdle (lower block I think Ford calls it) and the front cover and cleaned up the heads a bit.
Looks like we're going to replace the pistons (slightly worn and very ugly) and all the usual stuff - rings and bearings etc. And going to get the crank polished. I'll try to post some pics of all that stuff within next couple days.

^^^ Pay attention folks ^^^

1st GEN LSE bodyparts up for grabs !!!

Can't get that front bumper cover anymore !!!

I have gained some perspective on these beautiful yet tempestuous LS's. For all those prospective owners out there...

I bought the car Jan 2nd 2017. Immediately after leaving the car lot, I filled up the gas tank.
Since then, I have done the following:
1.Tow truck ride home (it didn't make it halfway before it overheated)
2. COMPLETE cooling system overhaul
3. Second fill and bleed after a spring clamp let loose.
4. Worm clamps on all cooling hoses
5. New EGR
6. Cleaned the Throttle Body
7. New air cleaner
8. New serpentine belt
9. New upper and lower radiator mounts
10. New front passenger window regulator
11. Two new keyless entry fobs
12. New center console arm rest
13. New transmission
14. New drivers side visor
15. New passenger side grab handle
16. Two new side window defrost vents
17. New passenger front seat back panel
18. Polished headlight lenses
19. New tail lights
20. New trunk lights
21. New battery
22. New windshield wipers
23. Refurbished engine cover
24. So many rub downs on the seats with Lexol that they are probably expecting a happy ending
25. ~100 misc panel fasteners
26. Two oil changes
27. A/C system recharge
28. New front license plate bracket
29. Four new hood bumpers

And I still have 1/4 of that original tank of gas left...

So my perspective? Don't buy one because it's cheap. Don't buy one because you need transportation. Buy one because you fell in love with them, like I did.

If you ever drive a 5spd.. you'll know love entirely.

I have gained some perspective on these beautiful yet tempestuous LS's. For all those prospective owners out there...

I bought the car Jan 2nd 2017. Immediately after leaving the car lot, I filled up the gas tank.
Since then, I have done the following:
1.Tow truck ride home (it didn't make it halfway before it overheated)
2. COMPLETE cooling system overhaul
3. Second fill and bleed after a spring clamp let loose.
4. Worm clamps on all cooling hoses
5. New EGR
6. Cleaned the Throttle Body
7. New air cleaner
8. New serpentine belt
9. New upper and lower radiator mounts
10. New front passenger window regulator
11. Two new keyless entry fobs
12. New center console arm rest
13. New transmission
14. New drivers side visor
15. New passenger side grab handle
16. Two new side window defrost vents
17. New passenger front seat back panel
18. Polished headlight lenses
19. New tail lights
20. New trunk lights
21. New battery
22. New windshield wipers
23. Refurbished engine cover
24. So many rub downs on the seats with Lexol that they are probably expecting a happy ending
25. ~100 misc panel fasteners
26. Two oil changes
27. A/C system recharge
28. New front license plate bracket
29. Four new hood bumpers

And I still have 1/4 of that original tank of gas left...

So my perspective? Don't buy one because it's cheap. Don't buy one because you need transportation. Buy one because you fell in love with them, like I did.

I layed one of the rear seats flat and stuck a full size rake in the trunk. I just noticed a few weeks ago the pull tabs in the trunk that permit this to be done, and it sure was handy.

I layed one of the rear seats flat and stuck a full size rake in the trunk. I just noticed a few weeks ago the pull tabs in the trunk that permit this to be done, and it sure was handy.

You should read your owner's manual to see what other little cool touches the car has, like what happens if you hold down the unlock button on the remote for a while.

You should read your owner's manual to see what other little cool touches the car has, like what happens if you hold down the unlock button on the remote for a while.

Thanks to the Owners Guide thread here, I have been using that trick for a while. I am disappointed that the wife's new MKZ does not have the same feature.

Pulled left front hub off my 2001 Getrag which I'm supposed to be rebuilding and put it on my 2000 silver bullet automagic 202,000 mile LS. That cured what ailed it - an awful bearing type noise and a rubbing type sound when turning. :) It did not turn off the ABS light. :(
Strange issue with the ABS light - checked for codes and there are none. Reset all codes and the ABS light is still there. Hmmmm ...:confused:

George, is the ABS sensor OK?? The plug firmly seated? I'm pretty sure you've already thought of that though...

George, is the ABS sensor OK?? The plug firmly seated? I'm pretty sure you've already thought of that though...

Yeah checked those out all right. Replaced a blown front hub with one from my Autumn red car. Thing was noisy as heck. Thought it might fix fix the ABS but no such luck.
It's a moot point right now though since the transmission has pretty much taken a dump. Not sure if I'm gonna try to fix it or what. Car gets a lot of looks so I could probably sell it if it's running.

2000 running Lincoln LS v6 - 5spd MANUAL - PLUS running 82K manual LSE

Moving on. Ive waited years and years to be able to tackle my beloved LS project. Realistically, I won't be able to devote the time and effort It requires. Thought Id post it here, in case someone may be interested.

I wish you didn't live all the way in Miami I'd scoop one of them complete just to have for parts.
Shipping it to Vancouver BC would probably be insane expensive ;but if you're going to part any of it out I'm definitely interested.

I didn't do anything today ;but been busy the past few days putting a lot of love into my LS.
I've got my system in and almost permanently mounted (I'm going to make a new rack for my amp and remove the trunk insert ( half inch osb plywood that was cut for it and hinged) covering the spare tire compartment and make just a cover for the battery and fuse box. I have ordered run flats so i don't need a jack or spare and will probably convert the space into my sub box if it pounds enough plus I'm designing a Raspberry Pi/Arduino deck to control the stereo and hopefully be tied into the OBD2 (and a few other secret things).
I installed my MTX Thunder 4501 Class D sub amp with decent amount RMS wattage at 500 watts and lights up, I also installed my older Orion XTR 3 competition 15 (which matches good with the amp until I get a sub that can eat up the wattage from my Pioneer SPL1200).
I tuned the system and got all the speakers sounding perfect (really though it's quiet overall cranked to max at 40 on my Pioneer avh-2300dvd deck).
I've also thoroughly detailed it inside and out (mostly), including wax.
I gave the rims a quick Red Alert cleaning treatment to make sure it was good and have stuck about quarter of a bottle of Marvel Mystery Oil into the gas so far and it is running so much better. The idle has smoothed out so much and besides the miss-shifting from the solenoid pack the car is running so much better.
I also made and installed a bracket to stop the glove box from falling all the way open and 3d printed little clips I screwed into the center front fan shroud to stop it from falling out.
Today I've only planned out how to print stopper clips for the sunroof arms and if they work good enough I can install without requiring the headliner and sunroof to come apart I'll post the printer files and offer them to members here.
I also started designing 2 different variations for the interior fan shrouds and vents, one is controllable louvers (with custom designed blades) and the other is skull faced outer trim with flame like blades plus I started designing a bunch of other stuff like a bigger center console, better door pockets to be deeper and better overall,pop out drawers for under the seats so it's more efficient storage as well as am throwing around a couple bigger glove box ideas.

I also ordered a RFID keyless start system from Ebay, I'm sceptical ;but for the price who cares.

I am disappointed that the wife's new MKZ does not have the same feature.

what year? 1st gen Zephers/MKZs did.

if its 2nd gen, its probably like the current gen foci and fusions, you have to use an app, computer, and a ODB-USB cable to edit the BCMs settings to enable it.

Stretched the legs a bit around Watkins Glen raceway. I think we got into triple digits but honestly the best part was taking the chicane in 2nd and grabbing the upshift into the carousel at full throttle.

20170729_121308.jpg

Members online

Back