What did you do to your LS today?

It's whatever floats yer boat,All2. Looks like you made a good trade. I'll take my LS though. I already have a Mustang Convertible. don-ohio :)^)

It's whatever floats yer boat,All2. Looks like you made a good trade. I'll take my LS though. I already have a Mustang Convertible. don-ohio :)^)

After I sold my LS for $4300, I looked for another LS, even drove two. I made offers on 4 but the sellers had it in their minds that they had $6000-$8000 LS'es for sale. If I had found an LS I felt was worth $5100, I may have bought it instead. The math works out to my essentially trading in my LS and $800 in cash for the BMW but I was only in to the LS for $3600.

And hey, I'm driving a $5100 BMW Convertible and feeling good about it as in reality, I'm in it just $4400.

I've spent way too much time making some "perfect" mounting system for this. I have no idea how Gen 2s actually mount the high brake light, but in Gen 1s, while the holes are all there, there's nothing to bolt into besides sheetmetal that's the wrong size to simply thread into. 8mm and 5/16" bolts go through, 10mm and 3/8" are too big. So I spent a couple hours making a square peg fit in a round hole. Probably could have just dremeled a slot for a U-nut or threaded the hole for a 3/8/10mm, but this was more satisfying with no metal dust.

Good thing none of the velcro strips are attached to the headliner, otherwise I'd have to worry about the light not actually fitting

2016-03-21 00.03.16.jpg

I popped the carriage bolts into the square hole then poked them with a wire and dragged them with magnets into position (well, a stack of neodymium magnets)
2016-03-20 21.28.44.jpg

Some careful wiggling will get the 1/4"-20 x 1" bolts vertical enough to fall through
2016-03-20 21.32.16.jpg

I used a 3/8" nut to act as a standoff so that as I tightened the regular nut down, the square base of the carriage bolt had room to rip through the round hole in the sheetmetal. The magnet helps defy gravity and keep the large nut (and later washers) on the downward-facing bolt

2016-03-20 23.12.54.jpg

Installed. I love these JST connectors for RC car batteries. I put that **** on everything, especially LED projects in the car. I've also used carriage bolts for a lot of things, including "fixing" the bolt behind my license plate surround.

One day I'll start a build thread (when I *really* have something cool to show off) and get into more details on all these little projects

2016-03-20 21.28.44.jpg

2016-03-20 21.32.16.jpg

2016-03-20 23.12.54.jpg

2016-03-21 00.03.16.jpg

Last edited:
CEL lit up over the weekend; took it to the dealer today and shows that the EGR valve needs replacement. Also will be doing front end tie rod and rear end toe links, replace AC compressor due to leaks, fuel filter replacement and wheel alignment. Parts were ordered.

After much cussing and redoing it a couple of times (would not go down all the way) I finally managed to get the passenger side front window regulator replaced and operating as it should on my 04 LSE yesterday late in the day.

window.jpg

^ about to repair pic.

I did NOT enjoy this repair as much as I had hoped I would, however next time around on any other door I now know what's going on behind that door panel and probably would feel more comfortable and knowledgeable with such repair. Just need to clean a little blood of the inside glass and replace the band-aid on my thumb today.
censored.gif
thing!

As the evening got darker and colder, I managed to finish off this horrible day with the replacement of the belt, pulley and tentioner.

parts.jpg

This job was also no
censored.gif
picnic only due to the restricted clearances when attempting to get your damn hands, tools and parts down in between everything. During the routing of the belt there was a moment when I thought perhaps finding a brand new fresh blade and slicing my wrist vertically would be more productive!

Anywho ... all done. Tool clean up time but know not to put them too far away just yet.
rolleyes.gif

parts.jpg

window.jpg

Installed the new 50$ K&N intake this morning. Runs like an angry beast! Tune would be next on the list.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Still need to get an exhaust tone video clip done up.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

When I'm running the roads during the week, I go through a pretty large wooden area of Canada for a couple of days, often during the evenings I get all sorts of critters attempting some road crossing, I often encourage them as in; "You can do it", "Keep going". "OK, Stay right there", "Oh don't go back now!" ... and other then the "You made it!" ... I throw in a few, "Splat!, should have kept going", "ahhh better luck next lifetime" or my favorite "I told you not to do it!" ... moral of the story is I don't swerve with a tractor trailer combination doing 105Kmh.

Now ... Black Beers, Wolf, Deer and Moose ... That's a different story, full brakes, stay straight, let off the brakes then aim behind them if possible. I've had a couple of real close encounters and let me tell you, the size of the butterflies in your stomach is too much, you have to pull over and calm yourself. You don't want to rock a vehicle of that size and weight at those speeds. She'll flip and take you down the ravines into the bushes real quick. Once you swerve, you'll never get control again.

Fun, fun fun.

I thot nadian drivers wore panty hose with "depends" so the seat wouldnt get soiled ??
just sumthin i heard on ch 1 :)

So... I ran into these issues today ... removing the actuator on my car...

1. This liquid. I was told it's a mix of oil and coolant. I don't have smoke or milky oil.

2. It smells and has a bit of hydraulic fluid in it.

3. Upon spinning the fan, the fluid came back out of the pump itself.

7b242b4702c0eda9325d73009684b5ac.jpg
4cef6b2a8c78a3a1cdf5b78dcec6f8d9.jpg
]

4. I've got that stuck bolt in the pump as others have talked about. Is it a 13mm or 12? I bought a set of bolt extractors and the 13 was way too big.
The raplacement actuator Head connector is from a v6. So now I know that the actuators are the same. I now have 3 of them, 2 from v8s and 1 v6. They all had the correct fluid coming out of the pump, reservoir, and actuator. So I assume those worked fine.
f0e67bf245226dee1794c1467a122918.jpg

5. I removed a fan from another car. I left the motor on the fan. I'll be back tomorrow to get it.

6. Sigh. I know it wasn't an electrical problem because I swapped out the removed part with the others and had the same issue.

7. My needle actually dropped below the operating temperature of the car a few times. What could that mean? I read it somewhere but now I can't find that post anywhere! !

A little help please?

Well,yer makin progress,KidL. I doubt that fluid is anything but oil in the hydraulic fan,but I'll look it up. don-ohio :)^)

In the hydraulic fan,looks like JoeGr said to use Mercon V and another fellow said use Mercon,not Mercon V. I would use Mobil 1 ATF,myself. don-ohio :)^)

In the hydraulic fan,looks like JoeGr said to use Mercon V and another fellow said use Mercon,not Mercon V. I would use Mobil 1 ATF,myself. don-ohio :)^)
I used Mercon 5

And bought these in replacement of the other set I had
ff90c84366dd5954f1da64a1320e08c8.jpg
6faa443cfb4b1e1241142e1c228d90a5.jpg

I'm sure Mercon V will be okay. But there is a stipulation not to put it in your power steering,so.............. don-ohio :)^)

Wait what.
Look at your owner's manual. Mercon V is exactly what you are supposed to put in the power steering. You are not supposed to use power steering fluid.
(Gen I manual says Mercon, but a later TSB says to use Mercon V now, even on gen I LS, and even in the hydraulic fan system.)

In my Ford manual for 04 LS POWER STEERING says on section 211-00- page 40, use MERCON or ATF, so I would say Mobil I synthetic ATF would be top-notch. Might be different for the Gen I ? don-ohio :)^)

Despite all the crap I'm going to get for this... I installed my new rims today. They are 20x9 Gianelle chrome rims. Yes, I know you think they're hideous. I took a 6 hour round trip to Detroit and back to pick them up. It was that good of a deal. They came with brand new tires, and locking lugs as well. I recently installed my passenger front window regulator, as well as new 6x8 NVX N-series speakers in each door. Oh and drilled/slotted Powerstop rotors and pads. I painted the rotor hubs with high temp paint to prevent rust, everything seems to show with my new rims on so I want it looking clean. Been busy lately. My work bench is still full of MOOG suspension parts yet to find there way on to the LS. Here's some pics...

20160325_153334.jpg20160325_153429.jpg20160318_171220.jpg20160308_172328.jpg

20160325_153334.jpg

20160325_153429.jpg

20160318_171220.jpg

20160308_172328.jpg

Despite all the crap I'm going to get for this... I installed my new rims today. They are 20x9 Gianelle chrome rims. Yes, I know you think they're hideous. I took a 6 hour round trip to Detroit and back to pick them up. It was that good of a deal. They came with brand new tires, and locking lugs as well. I recently installed my passenger front window regulator, as well as new 6x8 NVX N-series speakers in each door. Oh and drilled/slotted Powerstop rotors and pads. I painted the rotor hubs with high temp paint to prevent rust, everything seems to show with my new rims on so I want it looking clean. Been busy lately. My work bench is still full of MOOG suspension parts yet to find there way on to the LS. Here's some pics...

View attachment 828475553View attachment 828475554View attachment 828475555View attachment 828475556

Nah, they look OK and if you like them that's all that's important. Personally I like tires and not rubber bands on my cars, but then you didn't buy those for my car. Enjoy them, that's a nice looking wheel.

That's fine,Loud................I suppose you didn't see that MERCON ATF was not unapproved in any way, the TSB was just covering the fact that Ford discontinued it?
So you don't HAVE to use Mercon V,but you MAY use Mercon V. If you have old Mercon on the shelf it's just fine.
So really,Mobil I ATF would be just fine,since it covers Mercon specs. AND they still make it. don-ohio :)^)

well as talked about a few (hundred) times before...

ford no longer makes Mercon and thus released a TSB about it only about 8 years ago.

TSB 07-1-7
http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/TSb/DownloadPdf?id=136391

Members online

Back