What did you do to your LS today?

I replaced both idler pulleys. I ordered a Goodyear one and a Hayden one. Both had about the same quality but neither were machined for the dust cover. No problem really, I just installed both of them without the dust cover.

This is what I did to my LS today........... thermostat housing.jpg

thermostat housing.jpg

Yesterday, had mechanic install new Echlin coils, NGK Laser Iridium plugs and a Felpro intake gasket. Fresh synthetic oil and new filter. Rotated tires.

Still evaluating the results/improvements, if any.

Rotated and balanced the tires, and they found a nail in the right rear again. The out of balance feeling is gone.

Well, thanks to Joegr, I got my a/c working, painted interior speaker grills black, (turned out awesome), did the headlight restoration with Spar/mineral spirits, talk about a wow factor?? I removed the tint from the lower fogs, and restored those as well. Even did the ones on my wifes mustang. then I broke out the d.a. polisher, and polishing compound, and maguires gold class paste wax.
Headlightrestore_zps7614cf84.jpg

Finally got a chance to cut my front brake rotors (got rid of the horrible vibration, temp fix until I read the gobs of brake fitment info from the jag and decide what I want to use), did my rear brakes and finally after 5 years of procrastinating painted my calipers and brackets black :)

I just bought two of those saturday (needed one for our escape too), Wally World had them on sale for about $26 ea.

I just bought two of those saturday (needed one for our escape too), Wally World had them on sale for about $26 ea.

I bought 2 of them too from Walmart also. The filter was from O'Reillys.

it drive me crazy everytime that Wally World doesn't carry the filter, and everytime I have to make a second stop directly across the street to over pay for the filter... (also just happens to be a O'Reillys)

it drive me crazy everytime that Wally World doesn't carry the filter, and everytime I have to make a second stop directly across the street to over pay for the filter... (also just happens to be a O'Reillys)

I get the K&N filers online. I usually buy an extra one so I have one on hand. That reminds me......

My wix oil filter cost $11+. My wix fuel filter cost $14+ but I got $3 back for returning it because someone had bought it, installed it, then returned it. I could smell gas in it so the chick got me another one and took $3+ off for the trouble.

My wix oil filter cost $11+. My wix fuel filter cost $14+ but I got $3 back for returning it because someone had bought it, installed it, then returned it. I could smell gas in it so the chick got me another one and took $3+ off for the trouble.

Rock Auto has the the K&N oil filters (HP1014 for the V8) for $8.79.......

I don't use wix simply because that's what we buy at work, lowest bidder type stuff. I've used purolator's my whole life because that is what my father used. Their Pureone series seems very robust and is covered in what feels like grip tape, and is extremely effective.

You can debate oil filter preferences till you are blue in the face, just one of those things. Fortunately, Youtube is inundated with videos where people have cut them up and inspected the internals. For the most part, the majority seem okay, in all the videos I have seen there hasn't been a clear standout "Winner", however, there has always been the standout "Loser" which is always fram. Even the videos that include the store brand ones like Napa filters put fram to shame.

Here is one, but there are tons.
[video=youtube;bhY6pL8-p64]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhY6pL8-p64[/video]

Replaced the front passenger window regulator. It broke coming back from lunch today.

If you want to buy Wix or NAPA Gold filters, then the best prices are here;

http://www.fleetfilter.com/

I usually buy enough for the extra 10% discount, which just about covers the freight costs.

BTW, Wix/NAPA Gold are about the best oil and air filters out there for filtration on a street driven vehicle. Donaldson, Baldwin and UniFilter also make some excellent filters, but their direct fit drop-in applications are somewhat limited. Purolator is not bad, but Wix/NAPA Gold units uses a better filter media and have more pleats for a greater surface area resulting in a lower pressure drop across the filter media. You can't even mention filters from the "orange wall of death" in the same sentence. Don't take my word for it, do some research on your own. K&N air and oil filters may have a higher flow rating by design, but they don't filter quite as well. Remember that you have to give up something to gain flow rating and nothing is ever free. The K&N filter work great on race cars and track use engines though. K&N oiled air filters are not the best to use with Ford MAF sensors either - a dry filter like AEM would be a much better choice.

Yesterday, I changed oil and filter (Wix). There was almost 10K on old oil. It was dark but clean.
View attachment 828467429

I typically buy the Mobil 1 High Mileage oil from Wal-Mart in the 5 quart jugs. Why the High Mileage formulation you ask? Well the 0w-20, 5w-30 and 10w-30 Mobil 1 High Mileage weights are still SL rated, meaning they have a higher level of ZDDP anti- friction additive than the newer SM and SN rated oils. Since the AJ30/AJ35 V8 engines use direct action buckets/shims on the camshaft lobes (similar in concept to a flat tappet camshaft - no roller follower) I find the higher ZDDP levels reassuring. I change the oil in 5K mile intervals and use the slightly larger Gen I oil filter size on my Gen II engine. True the larger Gen I oil filter size comes very close to the serpentine belt with the Gen II oil cooler/heat exchanger, but I like as much oil filter media surface area as I can fit.

Replaced the front passenger window regulator. It broke coming back from lunch today.

I suspect my rears are going. I will have to take a look before the tropical weather comes.

Members online

No members online now.
Back