What did you do to your LS today?

I finally changed my fuel filter today. I had to buy a disconnect tool to get it off and it was still a bear to get off. It was the original part for the car.

got my coolant flushed at Lincoln dealership , trans flush is next

IMG_20140508_113653.jpg

Those look pretty good!!!! :) :cool: :burnout:

Me thinks you may be slightly biased! But that's ok man. Thanx for deal.
Now, the damn rotors look WAY too small!

LS03.jpg

Stupid question. These tires are about 7/16" bigger in diameter than stock. Would you think that would cause the ETC failsafe mode?

LS03.jpg

what size tires ? and time for that jaguar caliper bracket upgrade

Dealership said I had to use 245/40-18's. I wanted to use 235/45-18's which would have been almost identical to O.D. of original tire.
I wouldn't think 7/16" on the diameter would make much of a difference.

I typically buy the Mobil 1 High Mileage oil from Wal-Mart in the 5 quart jugs. Why the High Mileage formulation you ask? Well the 0w-20, 5w-30 and 10w-30 Mobil 1 High Mileage weights are still SL rated, meaning they have a higher level of ZDDP anti- friction additive than the newer SM and SN rated oils. Since the AJ30/AJ35 V8 engines use direct action buckets/shims on the camshaft lobes (similar in concept to a flat tappet camshaft - no roller follower) I find the higher ZDDP levels reassuring. I change the oil in 5K mile intervals and use the slightly larger Gen I oil filter size on my Gen II engine. True the larger Gen I oil filter size comes very close to the serpentine belt with the Gen II oil cooler/heat exchanger, but I like as much oil filter media surface area as I can fit.

The jugs I bought show its SL rated.
View attachment 828467510

Dealership said I had to use 245/40-18's. I wanted to use 235/45-18's which would have been almost identical to O.D. of original tire.
I wouldn't think 7/16" on the diameter would make much of a difference.

IMHO, 245/45 is a much better size, though 235/45/18 is actually closer to stock.....

IMHO, 245/45 is a much better size, though 235/45/18 is actually closer to stock.....

Yeah, I agree. The slightly larger tire looks better but I was afraid of tire size throwing something off. And since I've never had this message before, even with all my other issues, it makes me think it could be the tires. Since it just popped up pulling out of the dealership right after the tires were mounted.

I don't use wix simply because that's what we buy at work, lowest bidder type stuff. I've used purolator's my whole life because that is what my father used. Their Pureone series seems very robust and is covered in what feels like grip tape, and is extremely effective.

You can debate oil filter preferences till you are blue in the face, just one of those things. Fortunately, Youtube is inundated with videos where people have cut them up and inspected the internals. For the most part, the majority seem okay, in all the videos I have seen there hasn't been a clear standout "Winner", however, there has always been the standout "Loser" which is always fram. Even the videos that include the store brand ones like Napa filters put fram to shame.

Here is one, but there are tons.
[video=youtube;bhY6pL8-p64]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhY6pL8-p64[/video]

Looks like the video shows the Fram filters are better than the K&N filters. I bought a non-Fram filter because, almost universally, the Fram filters are regarded as being inferior. Well, shame on me! That's ok, I just found out GWC didn't invent peanutbutter.

Yeah, I agree. The slightly larger tire looks better but I was afraid of tire size throwing something off. And since I've never had this message before, even with all my other issues, it makes me think it could be the tires. Since it just popped up pulling out of the dealership right after the tires were mounted.

Getting a slightly smaller diameter makes your car quicker on acceleration.

The jugs I bought show its SL rated.
View attachment 828467510

Correct, but at least for me personally I do not want the additional later SM and SN ratings, just the SL rating only. The SM rating dropped the level of ZDDP additives to try and extend the life of the catalytic converters without the OEM's having to add more rare earth metal content. The SN rating was mostly for flex fuel vehicles that are capable of running on E85 and the need to keep the additional Ethanol in suspension in the crankcase due to any blow past the rings.

In my experience, the ETC Failsafe error is at least one bad coil; usually #4. I didn't want to play chase-the-bad-coil so replaced them all, along with the plugs.

In my experience, the ETC Failsafe error is at least one bad coil; usually #4. I didn't want to play chase-the-bad-coil so replaced them all, along with the plugs.

I had bought a set of coils and plugs back in 2012 when the car started missing. As soon as I pulled the cover to replace, I found oil in the plug wells so I had 4 coils and all the plugs replaced then. Not sure which coils were replaced but I still have the full set from back then. I'm going to have dealership check tomorrow and maybe have them replace everything.

Looks like the video shows the Fram filters are better than the K&N filters. I bought a non-Fram filter because, almost universally, the Fram filters are regarded as being inferior. Well, shame on me! That's ok, I just found out GWC didn't invent peanutbutter.

What. Fram is one of the few brands that use cardboard on the ends of the filter media instead of metal.

Removed the front window tint. Seems when I reinstalled the window after replacing the regulator the tint got pretty scratched. I have NO idea how that happened!! Oh well......

hahaha , wear a cup lol

I don't know if they make one heavy duty enough, girlfriend is a scrapper, she'd find a way to hurt me! LOL

LS4me, an unplugged sensor will cause the Failsafe mode message also! not sure which sensor had to be unplugged to put wheels and tires on.

Kinda what I thought also. An attempt to make some more money? They didn't try to sell me anything or make any excuses. He came out, handed me my keys and said you're all set. I asked him what it was and he said the tech left a sensor unplugged.

On a better note....
Wheels and tires look awesome. Ride is a little stiffer than the stock tires and rims, which I'm ok with. Don't mind the bumps and stuff as long as the ride is stiff but quiet. Probably put the KKM back on today or tomorrow then go to exhaust shop to check into upgade on that!

Members online

No members online now.
Back