subs and amp

picked up 2 sheets of mdf today along with some other goodies, only 23 a sheet at homers (home depot) Just have to keep reworkin measurements to get everything proper, i called the local boston dealer again and he reccomended 3.9 cubic ft for a mono chamber with a side (face) slot port... but than again we are talkin about a guy that said 3 svc 4ohm subs parallel would be 3ohm :rolleyes:

If you want the loudest bass then do a mono chamber. If you want tighter more defined bass then each cone needs its own space.

picked up 2 sheets of mdf today along with some other goodies, only 23 a sheet at homers (home depot) Just have to keep reworkin measurements to get everything proper, i called the local boston dealer again and he reccomended 3.9 cubic ft for a mono chamber with a side (face) slot port... but than again we are talkin about a guy that said 3 svc 4ohm subs parallel would be 3ohm :rolleyes:

Good deal on the MDF, 3.9 sounds about right but three 4 ohm in parallel making 3 ohm is bull:q:q:q:q. I had to learn that the hard way but now I know. I wouldn't want my port on the side. That's just me though. I like things to be even on both sides. :)

If you want the loudest bass then do a mono chamber. If you want tighter more defined bass then each cone needs its own space.

+1 to all that! That's new 2nd hand information or just a temporary permanent. :D

Just make sure to use the biggest small screws you can when assembling the box. The guy at Home Depot can show you where they are. Just look for the heavy set thin dude with the dark brown blond hair, cant miss him cause hes really tall for a short dude. :p

Well i put in several hours today workin on the box, and yes i did go with nolimits design..... should be proud not pissed :p , but i have everythin cut except the wood to build the port. I doubled the front so its now 1.5 thick. So far i only have the center sub cut out and the port. Was gonna keep goin but after the breaker blew the 3rd time from the heater in the garage i called quits. The final dimensions are 38.5w 16h 16d at 4.5 cubes. well actually 4.27 due to the double front. The port is 16Lx3h. But yeah its comin along preety good, just sucks my routers shot and my roto zip dont wanna give up the fried bit. so jigsaw it is. And my i say it fits PERFECT. not assembled yet but took the face sheet and stuck it in (trunk), its gonna be badazz

Well i put in several hours today workin on the box, and yes i did go with nolimits design..... should be proud not pissed :p , but i have everythin cut except the wood to build the port. I doubled the front so its now 1.5 thick. So far i only have the center sub cut out and the port. Was gonna keep goin but after the breaker blew the 3rd time from the heater in the garage i called quits. The final dimensions are 38.5w 16h 16d at 4.5 cubes. well actually 4.27 due to the double front. The port is 16Lx3h. But yeah its comin along preety good, just sucks my routers shot and my roto zip dont wanna give up the fried bit. so jigsaw it is. And my i say it fits PERFECT. not assembled yet but took the face sheet and stuck it in (trunk), its gonna be badazz

Very proud :D NoLimits design!! Just don't use blue for LED's. Use green or yellow lol. Sounds like it's gonna be a pounder. The 3" tall port is the only thing I'm wondering about but I'm assuming you have it figured into the calculations somehow. You just wait till you get that thing built, carpeted and installed with a powerful amp. If not already, remove the grey looking insulation from behind the seat to expose foam and the same on the top deck in the 2 bigger holes. I would hate to pick that thing up when it's finished. Mine is heavy enough but your subs have much more weight than mine do.

If i do go with some leds they we be green, or white. Yhe insulation from the backseat i folded down so its doubled under the seat. and i a m NOT lookin forward to how heavy this thing will be but cant wait to see how sexy it is ;) :D

If i do go with some leds they we be green, or white. Yhe insulation from the backseat i folded down so its doubled under the seat. and i a m NOT lookin forward to how heavy this thing will be but cant wait to see how sexy it is ;) :D

I just can't wait for it to be done. I'm ready to see it also and really would like to hear it. Tell the wife you want a new RF amp now. 1500bd? Get ready to buy the rear view mirror epoxy kit. That's the only thing I have found so far to keep my mirror on.

1500bd it will be, shes pissed enough about the whole stereo ordeal as it is, shed rather me dumping money into performance goodies than stereo stuff, not a bad thing but still an earfull. she hates talkin about bass and says it does nothin for her but everytime she hears it she wants it cranked lol.

You outta take a video of yours!

Please reply quickly, I need to kno if im using the port dimensions from the 16hx16d or 16hx15.25d since ive got the double front. since technically the port will be longer due to the double front. Or just subtract 3/4 of an inch from the port when using the 15 3/4 dimi's

Please reply quickly, I need to kno if im using the port dimensions from the 16hx16d or 16hx15.25d since ive got the double front. since technically the port will be longer due to the double front. Or just subtract 3/4 of an inch from the port when using the 15 3/4 dimi's

All you would need to do is make the port 3/4 of af an inch shorter. Wont make the biggest difference in the world if you didn't but that would be it basically.

I still have my one big sub from when I used to work in the Hi Performance stereo industry. It measures 27" in just the cone alone. Only problem is it needs a minimum of 12 cubic feet for an enclosure :eek:

So I don't think I will be getting it to fit in the Mark any time soon :(

Picture003-1.jpg

Okay ladies and gents!! Its NOT complete but it is damn near completion, So with that being said..... no neg comments on the wood putty, caulk, liquid nails, screws or staples :p But heeeeeeere SHE IS!!!

1120091541a.jpg

1120091541b.jpg

1130090125c.jpg

1130090125.jpg

1130090125b.jpg

1130090125a.jpg

I think you done a damn good job slick. Get some carpet on that bad boy and she's ready. Looks like a sturdy build to me. That box reminds me of something I have seen before lol. Can't wait to see it all done and loaded up in the trunk with some lights on it.

It wasNOT easy the least bit. movin 4x8 sheets of 3/4 mdf around the garage my self, only having my jigsaw, dremel, drill and the table saw is in the BASEMENT!! no compass, two squares and a tape measure..... but with what i had to work with i must say..... i did a DAMN good job :D I caulked that box every way possible too.

Im now tryin to decide on how to do the exterior. i was thinkin truck bed liner, to solid it up a bit more and itd have a nice black spattered look

I could imagine it being hard to move sheets of MDF around by yourself, especially using the table saw. I noticed the port going in but how many inches does it go upward in the back?

I'm going to do the outside of mine again but it'll be with the same color carpet that I have now. Mine was carpeted quick and not much time was put into it. I'm going to run mine into the port also a few inches to give it a better look. If you use the liner stuff, make sure to tape off the seal area so it will be smooth. Just don't tape off too much and show a gap. Really I would carpet it and keep it matching but black would probably look good too and carpet hides a lot too. Not sure how bed liner would look. Never seen one done before.

Hmmmm, seems I have seen a similar box on here somewhere. :p

So now that you have the subs in your hands how you like their build quality?

Well as far as build quality, lets just say 30 lbs each, double stacked magnet, sexy basket and the ability to make me prance around like a lil girl.... i say very good! Im just happy the box is near comletion. My stomachs been killin me since i got up otherwise ida did some more work on it today.

The port is 10 3/4 up the backside (from bottom) well actually i outta go check cause now that i said that it dont sound right... any way its a biggun ill take a pic next time i go out for a smoke..... god i hope i didn fudge up lol i kno i went over the dimensions 6 times to make sure but now i cant remember lol.......

And YES this box BETTER dominate!!

Now ive got almost a full sheet of mdf...... what do you guys think, make a box and sell it or should i use it for my amp "project" (moreless) with puttin my amps in my spare tire hole. Its not gonna be fancy, just built to be secure in place

I hope i didnt fudge up, the i made the measurements from the top side of the port which are 10 3/4 x 7 1/2 which are the dimensions needed, but the port length hope fully isnt measured by the bottom because than it would be 15 3/4 x 10 1/2.... HELP LOL!!

1130091510.jpg

1130091512.jpg

I like the way it looks with the center cone backwards.

I like the way it looks with the center cone backwards.

lol, could you imagine that big azz magnet sticking out all in the way?

slick, I would go with the port length you have right now from the bottom up. It looks to be close to where it should be and if it is too long, some can always be removed. It looks good where it is from what I can tell. It should be real close to 1/2 way up. If it's over that, I would just wait and test it when you get it in.Not sure how hot it gets where you live but my amps would never live in the trunk tub covered up. It can get hot in there pretty quick. I can tell you this though, right inside the tub where it curves, right there dead center on the flat space is where I have both of mine grounded. I drilled a hole and then took the grinder and took it to the metal on both sides of the hole, inside and out. It made a very very good ground right there and it's hidden. I done what Laser said and painted it after I got it bolted up real tight. I used to have an engine whine before and even louder noise when the cooling fan came on but now, SILENT!! It was the ground all this time. Don't use either of the 2 bolts that are already sticking up back there. In between those and the curve is where you want to drill.

Members online

Back