subs and amp

Sorry but you must have no experience at all with decient equipment. You dont take a G5 and drive it with a chit amp. Its like having the big S class Benz but getting it with a V-6 instead of the 8 or 12. Sure it looks nice but it dont perform like it should.

Eaither get a Rockford Power series (for three subs really the only amp to use), JL Audio, McIntosh, Zapco, Audison or a high end ARC Audio. Really though none will have the power and performance of the Rockford for the cost.

Sorry but you must have no experience at all with decient equipment. You dont take a G5 and drive it with a chit amp. Its like having the big S class Benz but getting it with a V-6 instead of the 8 or 12. Sure it looks nice but it dont perform like it should.

Eaither get a Rockford Power series (for three subs really the only amp to use), JL Audio, McIntosh, Zapco, Audison or a high end ARC Audio. Really though none will have the power and performance of the Rockford for the cost.

Yeah what LaserSVT is saying is basically it. When I was in the biz we basically looked at it as you would pay a $1 a watt for something with enough current to sound good while being cranked. You need current not just watts and the cheap High Watt amps have no current capabilities for the most part :(

over on the audio forum i found a guy with 2 T1500bds 450 each and another one...... pioneer PRS-D2000SPL !!!! 400 plus shippin!!!!

BWAAAAHHAHAHAHA!!! Well i hooked up the sherwood just to test everything out.................. it fried new new EFFIN SPEAKERS!!!

Now could a Sherwood amp ever fry anything? Those amps are WEAK along with the Pioneer amp you found and avoid anything Kenwood!

Well on the bright side of things, i stayed up all night to finish THIS!!
Of course the pics make it not look as good but the face of it was my main concern......
still a lil lil lil bit of work to do on it then its finito

1206091048.jpg

1206091049.jpg

1206091049a.jpg

1206091052.jpg

1206091051.jpg

1206091050.jpg

Snag one of them 1500's. Just make sure it's capable of a 1 ohm load so that you can hook the 10's up in parallel.
All Rockford Power series are 1ohm stable.
Now could a Sherwood amp ever fry anything? Those amps are WEAK along with the Pioneer amp you found and avoid anything Kenwood!
Yes, most people blow speakers due to chit amps then powerful amps. It is not excessive power that really hurts speakers its sending them a clipped signal. A speaker runs on AC voltage basically and the frequency of that voltage is what makes sound. When a signal is clipping it means the end of that sound wave form is chopped at its peak causeing uncontrolled cone movement. Thats what dammages and breaks coils. Only once have I burnt a speaker out because of sheer power. Was the new Rockford Power series subs in 1998. I drove a single 12" with a new custome MTX 2300 that was built for demo cars so instead of its 600 watt rating it actually pushed out 1288 watts. Driving that sub on a three hour cruise at max volume I melted the voice coil. Hell, the amps heat sink set my carpet on fire too! :lol:
Well on the bright side of things, i stayed up all night to finish THIS!!
Of course the pics make it not look as good but the face of it was my main concern......
still a lil lil lil bit of work to do on it then its finito

I would be very very proud to have that in the back of my car. Nice work man, I wish I could come hear it! Gonna really slam!

Since I am getting a more powerful amp then I have now I have started shopping for an extra 10" G5 DVC but cant seem to find the DVCs any more. :( I think a pair with the JL amp would really slam in my car.

Yes, most people blow speakers due to chit amps then powerful amps. It is not excessive power that really hurts speakers its sending them a clipped signal. A speaker runs on AC voltage basically and the frequency of that voltage is what makes sound. When a signal is clipping it means the end of that sound wave form is chopped at its peak causeing uncontrolled cone movement. Thats what dammages and breaks coils. Only once have I burnt a speaker out because of sheer power. Was the new Rockford Power series subs in 1998. I drove a single 12" with a new custome MTX 2300 that was built for demo cars so instead of its 600 watt rating it actually pushed out 1288 watts. Driving that sub on a three hour cruise at max volume I melted the voice coil. Hell, the amps heat sink set my carpet on fire too! :lol:
Trust me I know all the wonderfull things about crap amps and so forth but when I used Sherwoods way back in the day even fully clipped I swear they couldn't hurt a decent speaker cause they were so weak. I built a Sabb for a customer with 4 GS Redlines Compounded and powered by 2 Hifonics Colossus amps (mind you this is in the early 90's). When you would crank DJ Magic Mike to show it to the owner it could stall the engine from the current draw even with a BIG alternator and a few farads worth of caps :eek:

My 71' Challenger had a Plexi faced band pass box( I designed with LEAP ) with 4 Orion Sub 6.5's running a 1/2 ohm load to a HCCA 225 amp that melted the trunk liner it ran so hot. Reason for Plexi so people could see it was only 6.5's and no 12's or 15's making that amount of Bass in the car :D

Crap amps are crap amps no mater what and most of the old PPI and ORION amps got picked up by a company that cheapened them and they don't put out the current they used to :( A Sherwood could never put out enough to heat up a speaker with a real voice coil back in the day I used to install.

The thing most people don't realize is efficiency plays a major role in everything. The big 3db for doubling speakers and halving impedance with one High Current Amp can blow away most of these supposed High Power Kenwood and other crap amps. Half the reason I hated using the 13W7 with a JL 1000.1 amp cause the damn thing is so inefficient but I was strapped for room in the Mark trunk :mad:

No, I ment all Power series but I was wrong. Last year I sold Rockfords the Power series was all fan cooled and much larger. Also every amp was 1 ohm stable. That was what the Power series was known for. Better x-overs and 1 ohm stable. That would keep me from getting a new series cause the last series has to have better circutry.
See here is the last T4004 http://reviews.cnet.com/car-amplifiers/rockford-fosgate-power-t4004/4505-6726_7-31650486.html
Also the new series does not exceed their power ratings by much like the old ones do. They used to exceed by 50+% and now its maybe 10% :(

This is what I don't understand.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?VISuperSize&item=280433431956

I do remember the silver power series amps that were out around 2003-2004 and those things really did push, especially for their size. I remember them back in 87 when there was the Punch 40. I seen one of those pushing two 12's alone with ease. It's like they used to be waaay underrated.

IMO, I think the 2252xi Impulse I have is underrated but for the subs I have, I really don't need more power than what I have. I would never try to put it on three W-6's or even two G-5's because I know it's just not the right amp for those. The 6 ohm load I'm running now on the new 10-W0's is really pounding pretty good. I have heard much louder or harder hitting systems but I'm 41 lol. I don't need more than what I have and really don't even need that.

EDIT: Link above is acting stupid but check the power ratings listed on the bottom of that amp.

http://cgi.ebay.com/rockford-fosgate-power-bd1000-1-bd-1000-us-amp_W0QQitemZ280433431956QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCar_Amplifiers?hash=item414b229594

Laser, I know how you feel about HIFONICS because I'm the same way but seriously, the Brutus is putting the power out. I have heard a few of them in cars and also in sound boards and never heard anyone complain of problems from them and they are also winning some comps.

http://cgi.ebay.com/HIFONICS-BXI261...ewItemQQptZCar_Amplifiers?hash=item20ae162877

I think this one would give slick more than enough for the three G-5's he has.

get a mtx 1500d or 81000d and mod it. mine put out almost 2000rms at 1 ohm. the mod takes 5 min.

Couldnt pay me to use a MTX amp these days. Terriable circutry and high fail rate. Plus they sound like crap. When the Thunder 2150,2300,250 ... those were great little amps but I never liked anythimg afte. Maybe they are better now but couple years ago they went down hill.

Also, 10 years ago Hifonics was the chit and made some killer amps. Now, not so much. Its a real bummer that these old names that were the best of the best are now only average at best. Alpine makes a damn fine amp now, so does JL and Mcintosh but Infinity, Rockford, Audison, Orion, Soundstream.... they all just are not that great any more and some are down right pitiful! Remember when Soundtream was the best one out? Their new stuff is just awful! :(

Couldnt pay me to use a MTX amp these days. Terriable circutry and high fail rate. Plus they sound like crap. When the Thunder 2150,2300,250 ... those were great little amps but I never liked anythimg afte. Maybe they are better now but couple years ago they went down hill.

Also, 10 years ago Hifonics was the chit and made some killer amps. Now, not so much. Its a real bummer that these old names that were the best of the best are now only average at best. Alpine makes a damn fine amp now, so does JL and Mcintosh but Infinity, Rockford, Audison, Orion, Soundstream.... they all just are not that great any more and some are down right pitiful! Remember when Soundtream was the best one out? Their new stuff is just awful! :(

Exactly, I remember when the Punch 150 was a killer amp to have for your bass and the PPI and ORION amps where awesome for your High's they were so clean but that it from way back in the early 90's when I did this stuff for a living :cool:

Speaking of Punch amps looky looky I got me some new old skewl amps for my Mark. Its a Punch 125.2 and 2 50.1s strapped together. I just have to sand them down, polish them and repaint it to match my car. I got them from my buddy who has had them since new and only used them for 2 months before he sold the car and put the amps in his storage room. Sweet.
2j68fwz.jpg

ahhhhh that makes me happy, running a mtx thunder 2300x and a 4300x and a 2 ch crossover from the same era

Members online

No members online now.
Back