Official: Stance Coilover Thread

Our school has a foundry, I'll do it for my senior design project! :eek: What do you all think?

Also, it may be easy to cut the upper control arm but it won't be easy to simply weld a spacer in. For what little I know, I don't think aluminum, let alone cast, is easy or even possible to weld. That's if I'm understanding your concept correctly.

Lastly, to whomever suggested an offroad shop, that would be a good place to start. I did a quick google search and someone was doing custom adjustable upper a-arms for dodge rams. It's no Ram but the minds, materials, and time is out there for someone to do it.

Possible? Yes - structurally sound? No. Even the best tig weld
Will not be nearly as strong as the original cast arm.

Hence the tubular t6061 stainless arms.

This sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope a solution is found so we can use these coilovers, finally a new aftermaket parts and now this. It can't end like this :(

I chew through my rear tires with Springtechs, too.

I just rotate them back and forth until all 4 (will) have nothing left on the insides.

Gotta pay to play :(

Isn't that the truth. Why could some of us not just stop with wheels and tint? Lmao. I always ask that well after the fact and well after a good amount of money is spent.

This sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope a solution is found so we can use these coilovers, finally a new aftermaket parts and now this. It can't end like this :(

It's not that you can't use them. If you want to keep your car at OEM to Eibach height like most do you can, with the same camber issues we all have. But if you wind them down to the point that I did it makes that problem much worse. If we were to find a company to make an adjustable arm, everyone who is lowered would benefit from having them. That's quite a few of us around here.

I would happily buy new tires every summer and go for more of a budget tire over my evo12's but the other half isn't to happy that I would have to do that. That's where my problem lies.

It's not that you can't use them. If you want to keep your car at OEM to Eibach height like most do you can, with the same camber issues we all have. But if you wind them down to the point that I did it makes that problem much worse. If we were to find a company to make an adjustable arm, everyone who is lowered would benefit from having them. That's quite a few of us around here.

I would happily buy new tires every summer and go for more of a budget tire over my evo12's but the other half isn't to happy that I would have to do that. That's where my problem lies.

So, I'll be the first to jump on the Fail Wagon and say: How much you want to sell those coil-overs for? :D

I left the springs as is. The problem I have is that if I didn't make them pretty stiff I'm afraid I could lose a fender in a dip or bump. The way it is now I have some minor rubbing so if I want to go lower I should probably remove the fender liners and play with the inner lips more

Dude! That looks awesome. Im sold. I am going to start saving up my money now. I can deal with the stiffness. I drive a big truck so no big thing. How does she corner? How is the balance on throttle transition?

I just had a chance to get my car on a lift and snap a picture. I think Bull asked me the other day, sorry took so long. Anyway, when the guy at my job did my alignment he removed the rear upper control arm bolts from the frome side and elongated the holes in order to be able to adjust camber in spec. I did not even ask him to do it, he is just a alignment nut and wanted it correct. I have eibachs on my car and alignment specs were perfect. As you can see by the picture there is a mark where nut was originally tightened and there would not be room to go any more, at the point if you needed more I would say fabricating longer tabs might work.

It took my guy like 3 hours to do it, so if you have to pay someone it would be costly. If you can do it yourself much better option.

LS CONTROL ARM.jpg

I'm buying a pair of tires every summer or 2 as it is with my springtechs. Last ones I bought were Firestone Firehawk GT's. 245/40 for the rears, and I think the damage was a little less than 4 bills.

from when I looked... the rears have more room to be elongated without running into issues, but the fronts are stuck as is. I am working with a few companies now who I've dealt with in the past with similar products to get a tubular upper arm built.

Does anyone know the size of the 2 bolts for the upper arm?

Dude! That looks awesome. Im sold. I am going to start saving up my money now. I can deal with the stiffness. I drive a big truck so no big thing. How does she corner? How is the balance on throttle transition?

With the dampening set up higher you have zero body roll in cornering. You can just swallow them up and be flat as can be the whole way through. Balance is fine throughout.

If I didn't have adapters and heavy wheels I would totally take the car out for some autocross with these guys or go to an open lot and try to do some drifting. They would make a big difference over my OEM shocks + Eibachs

Bullschmidt said:
With the dampening set up higher you have zero body roll in cornering. You can just swallow them up and be flat as can be the whole way through. Balance is fine throughout.

If I didn't have adapters and heavy wheels I would totally take the car out for some autocross with these guys or go to an open lot and try to do some drifting. They would make a big difference over my OEM shocks + Eibachs

That is really radical. Do you use camber plates? I don't see any negative visible. I don't think I would mind the consequences.

You can't use camber plates on our suspension. The top mounts are attached to the body of the car.

Look at the picture that was bumped. I have 3 degrees out back on my tires. It's not as big of a deal in the rears. From factory we have some negative camber and can be 1.5 degrees and be in spec, but I am double that. With Eibachs I was around 2 out back.

I had my four new evo's installed today and two of my old four didn't wear to terribly. They were the rears. So the main problem is up front where it would be best if we can find a way to get some adjustable upper arms made. They would easily pay for themselves if you basically are buying 2 new tires every summer for your car like some of us have been doing

Never heard of cambered tires before. Most people who are in the "stanced" scene just stretch their tires to try and combat camber wear. I'm not a huge fan of having exposed lips in the area where I live. My wheels wouldn't last to long since my car is a DD

Bullschmidt said:
You can't use camber plates on our suspension. The top mounts are attached to the body of the car.

Look at the picture that was bumped. I have 3 degrees out back on my tires. It's not as big of a deal in the rears. From factory we have some negative camber and can be 1.5 degrees and be in spec, but I am double that. With Eibachs I was around 2 out back.

I had my four new evo's installed today and two of my old four didn't wear to terribly. They were the rears. So the main problem is up front where it would be best if we can find a way to get some adjustable upper arms made. They would easily pay for themselves if you basically are buying 2 new tires every summer for your car like some of us have been doing

Ok, I guess I misunderstood. I thought the more radical Eibach kit came with some sort of camber correction setup. I just assumed they we're plates. Thanks.

You can get camber bolts from Eibach and other manufacturers. They are only going to get you another .5 - 1 degree of adjustment though. Which for Eibach springs should be able to get you in spec

For my Eibachs I got the Moog camber kit for the front and I think it gives you up to 1.5 degrees. I think the Eibach camber kit says it gives you up to 2 degrees.

Ha, just looked through the store of cambertire. You thought they were whining about $1400 coilovers? Wait until they see the prices for the tires.

Bullschmidt said:

That looks nice out back. I just remembered that my '79 Bonneville had a suspension that used shims to adjust the camber and the caster. I used to play with it alot, had it setup for one specific highway ramp. Such a shame the new cars aren't as simple.

Going home this weekend. I might have the issue resolved already. Will know by Sunday or Monday. I'm not talking about some cut and weld solution; an actual upper arm solution for the fronts.

Members online

No members online now.
Back