Official: Stance Coilover Thread

Dont know if there are any Stance users still out there. I hope there are. I've got a set and installed the fronts a few weeks back. No issues after I consulted Stance tech support on some questions.
Yesterday I went to inView attachment 828567814 stall the rears and ... BIG issue. The rear shocks are not long enough. See attached picture. Also they dont look nearly as 'beefy' as the OEMs. Gonna contact Stance on Monday but open to other ideas and suggestions before then.
The rears already had to go back for redrilling because the mounting hole was too narrow to pass the LS mounting bolt. Now this issue of being too short has me wondering if these were actually meant for a smaller vehicle? Oh - in the picture I've removed the lower part of the Stance so the whole thing might look the same length as the OEM but the lower part needs to screw at least an inch onto the shock part so it's at least that short.

That must be the wrong coilover. Had zero fitament issues on front or rear. Also have never seen that color combo on a Stance set for an LS before (not saying that could not change) as all prior have Black springs, Gold threaded valve bodies, and Orange locking nuts. Not sure if he is still around but this guy was very helpful: John Kim "Sales Ambassador" 847-290-1568

Last edited:
Yesterday I went to install the rears and ... BIG issue. The rear shocks are not long enough. See attached picture. Also they dont look nearly as 'beefy' as the OEMs.

The shorter shock allows for a lower than stock ride height before you begin fine tuning with the threaded collar. This also allows the shock to have more travel because you're not compressing a longer shock to get that lowered ride height. I know it doesn't sound logical that a shorter shock will have more travel but it does when you're talking in terms of a lower than stock ride height.

I suspect the shock bodies are of similar diameter and the "beefier" look of the OEM's is because of the larger spring diameter. Coilovers typically run about a 2.5" to 3" diameter spring but if you look it has the same number of coils or "winds" as the OEM and should have a spring rate stamped on them somewhere.

Last edited:
That must be the wrong coilover. Had zero fitament issues on front or rear. Also have never seen that color combo on a Stance set for an LS before (not saying that could not change) as all prior have Black springs, Gold threaded valve bodies, and Orange locking nuts. Not sure if he is still around but this guy was very helpful: John Kim "Sales Ambassador" 847-290-1568
I agree on the color. Was surprised at the color of these since all the pix I had seen were as you described. Thanks for another contact number. I'm going to start with tech support on Monday.

The shorter shock allows for a lower than stock ride height before you begin fine tuning with the threaded collar. This also allows the shock to have more travel because you're not compressing a longer shock to get that lowered ride height. I know it doesn't sound logical that a shorter shock will have more travel but it does when you're talking in terms of a lower than stock ride height.

I suspect the shock bodies are of similar diameter and the "beefier" look of the OEM's is because of the larger spring diameter. Coilovers typically run about a 2.5" to 3" diameter spring but if you look it has the same number of coils or "winds" as the OEM and should have a spring rate stamped on them somewhere.

Well the first step in installing the shocks is to adjust the stance so that it is the same length as the OEM shock. That is impossible with the ones I have.
You could be right about the beefiness. I'm going to look for a spring rate ID on the unit. I'd like to know that anyway.

Meant to ask how the beefiness of your Stances compared to your OEMs? Anythin like the picture?
Thanks

Meant to ask how the beefiness of your Stances compared to your OEMs? Anythin like the picture?
Thanks
I dont really recall relative to the stock setup since I removed them years ago and had the Eibach Springs on at the time. What I do know is my Stance Front and Rears are essentially identical in dimensions other than the Rears are shorter in length. If I were to guess based on the pic alone I would say yours appear not only shorter but "less beefy" as well - but its just a guess. Also, I went to the Stance site and the XR1 listed for the LS application appears new (and the same colors as yours) vs. what I purchased years ago - new Part # ST-D98-XR1

Last edited:
I just bought their last set. Came to $1760 Cad shipped. $1370 USD.

Honestly I priced out Ford, Jag and Eibach springs with decent shocks and its still around the $1400 Cad mark.

I recently bought a C63, so it was tough for me to swallow this but at this point there's no real other option that makes sense. I'e been through three sets of Ford springs, they'e basically made out of plastic.

The LS is my winter beater, and I've already poured 8k into parts. I'l get them in about a month and install end of February (going to be away with work until then).

I'l post pics upon arrival.

Yes I'm insane I know.

Based on the lack of sales I wouldn't be surprised if they never made them ever again.

Did they tell you anything about their future availability

Yes they said they're still going to be available but on a build-as-ordered basis. They quoted me 4 to 5 months production time lol.

I spoke with stance directly, they were very good to deal with. However if you plan on purchasing these, I would recommend contacting whichever seller you decide to go with and confirm their inventory. Many websites I tried to order from listed them as in stock, but upon messaging them, they were unavailable and needed to be special ordered.

I almost choked when they told me 4 to 5 months though. I'm not really buying these for their performance aspect, I'm buying them because they're literally a few hundred dollars more than trying to replicate the stock or jag setup. Being in Canada, it's incredibly difficult to source parts, and shipping is ridiculous.

Arrived at the door yesterday. They added an extra $240 import duty, pushing the grand total up to about $2k.... I must really love this car ehh?

I'm going to be away for another month at least, so I'll have to hold off on photos...

I'm literally in the middle of nowhere up north right now lol ^^

IMG_20180124_084906_230.jpg

As an alternative, simply use Koni. Get the double-adjustable ones. You can buy a variety of lengths, tailor the ends to your application, and they will valve them for your application as well. And they're rebuildable.

KS

Here they are, more pics to come. Bastards were supposed to send me a shirt too, didn't lol.

IMG_20180223_085931_738.jpg

Did the rears today. Changed out the rear toe links with oem Ford too. These things feel awesome. They are much smaller than the stock shocks and fitment looked like it would be a concern, but they're much more firm so when the car sits they'e the same height.

I did this in a rush and am just looking for stock ride height now, I'll play with them over the next few weeks. Overall they feel great and so far so good. Highly recommend.

IMG_20180303_180811_369.jpg

Selling a brand new set of Stances $1150 shipped if anyone is interested

Edit: Sold

Last edited:

Members online

Back