how 2 remove a Mark VIII drive shaft

MsM8tress

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I searched, found nothing. I got one day .... well about 3 hours tomorrow to remove a 93 Mark VIII's drive shaft - any pointers. Well not pointers, a step by step directional guide with pics would be nice! lol

Good thing is it's coming out of a junk mark so I don't have to worry about destroying anything.

HELP! lol

Debi

Torch and big hammer. Dead Blow would be best. :D

Seriously though, drop the exhaust, drop the tank hangers, remove the 4 12mm driveshaft bolts and slide it out.

Bring PB Blaster.

That's the way I'd do it and have done it. You need a 12mm 12 point wrench or socket to remove the bolts for the drive shaft. You'll have a safety hanger in the way too but only two bolts holds it up too. Loosen bolts on the shaft while it's in park and then you'll have to put it in neutral to turn it and get to the other bolts loose and again, put it in park. If the fuel tank lines get in the way and won't let you drop the tank enough, cuttem.

Take a sawzall, you can cut the exhaust out of the way. Shoot, you could cut the tank straps and driveshaft loop for that matter as well.

I find it easier to drop the differential down rather than the lowering the gas tank and removing the loop when pulling the shaft back to remove the transmission. I'm not sure if the driveshaft would come out all the way out or not using that method.

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am gonna go right after church - too bad that will be at 1:30pm - but for 28.00 I think it will be worth the sweatfest!!!!

like No Limit said it is Important that the 12 mm is a 12 point. a 6 point won't work.

Also, the reason I removed the exhaust was because I was swapping a trans out and putting in a 98 trans. Just getting the shaft out, I'd take some tin snips or something that will cut the tank straps but the bolts ain't that bad to get to. Cut the hoses out of the way so the tank can be yanked out. It's possible that you can go to the rear and just drop the mufflers down at the hangers and that might be enough to get it to slide out the back.

When you get under there, you'll kinda understand why there aren't many people that take pics as they do this. It's not a hard job but it will be just a little time consuming. That's why I suggest cutting straps and fuel hoses. Might cut down a lot on your "heat time"

ok I know I posted this... as embarrasing as it was... but I dont know what happened to the post so I gotta post again.... what the frig is a 12 point ?

what the frig is a 12 point ?

This is a 12 point...

tools_12pt_socket_36mm_TMI9910M36_lg.jpg

Compared to the more common 6 point...

tools_6pt_socket_46mm_TMI9910M46_lg.jpg

:)

thanks driller, Im pickin one up at 1:00 - love you all thanks!!!!!! Lets pray a success post to follow!!!!

Thanks HOTTIES!!!!!!! SMOOCHES!!!!

Debi

I like to use a 12mm ratchet wrench on the bolts. makes it a lot easier to get to them and get them out.

THANKS HOTTIES!!!! I'm armed and ready to go! My socket set is all 12 point, that's gonna be my excuse for not knowing what a 12 point socket is - lol

Wish me luck!

Debi

WAHWHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Thanks Hotties!!!!! I got it! Thanks to you guys, Roadboss, JD, and a friends sawsall (excellent tip driller!!!).

and as I am driving home with it sitting beside me in the passenger seat.... I think.. I aint putting this thing in! lolol But now that I know how, I gotta!

keatonsdad - please share how did you do it without messing with the exhaust?

I got an idea while I was there too... I need to know how to do brakes and that would be a great place to go learn. Don't have to worry about screwing something up!

thanks so much ! LVC ROCKS you guys are the best!!!

now to go pack for kids camp for a week - pray for the children!!!!!

SMOOCHES ALL OVER YOUR FACE HOTTIES!!!

Debi

I thought you sold your MK8?? I hope you where doing all this for a one piece 93 driveshaft.

I had two, now I just have the 95 until Chris sells me his LSC!

Hey Buckeye68, how ya doing? Haven't seen you around.

you sold the good one or the back up? I saw the backup yesterday when I went to the neighbors..?
I only use mine one the weekend when I am not working so like 4 days a month... :(

yup he was too much trouble - JD and Mike are taking on his issues!

We should hook up, I'd love to see your mark closer. the day I saw it it sounded great and sure had some pick up!

Have you seen the guy on broad st (between Reynoldsburg NewAlbany and Waggner) - he has 3!!! leaves at least one parked out front all the time

Members online

Back