Hood scoop on 96 mark viii

take your time measure twice or three times then wackit. looking good hope the best for ya Sapp. i would make a jig that i could anchor it too use your org.hood to make it. saves a lot of leaning over the car. heading for ill. to get the truck fixed then to Bosabel for the party then back to work on the95. jd

I've left all the Mark framing intact, wouldn't that be enough to hold its shape? I've never done fiberglass or any body work for that matter.

I had my Gen 2 hood supported just like your pictures. All four corners would be better.
I'm sure you're not planning on drilling holes or anything to mount that section..pita!
What I would do is remove the paint on the mating surfaces including the widows peak and use panel bond. Works great!!! Then do all your blend work.
You put it on both surfaces and spread it where its going to touch also covering any bare metal, then run a bead an 1/8 to 1/4" in from the edge. Clamp or weight it down.. then wait for it to cure.
You would probably need 2 tubes to be on the safe side. You can use a brush or bond spreader to spread it out.
It does not come apart! You have about 45 min work time depending on how hot it is and you can use a wheel to clean up the edges once its cured
http://www.amazon.com/Evercoat-FIBRE-GLASS-EVERCOAT-815/dp/B003EGSJAU

K-fan I can't view whatever you're talking about-i don't get on Facebook

Thanks all for the well wishes

Here's a bit more work I did today
20120708_170942.jpg

20120708_171020.jpg

Shaved down the mating surfaces on both parts, the sides are now almost perfectly level with each other

The front however is another story...
20120708_164424.jpg

20120708_173149.jpg

I'm hoping it'll smooth out better, I dunno

For those that don't pay attention (mainly K-fan) mine is a 96 LSC nose...which is a Gen1 hood..just attached to a 98..

And my hood is still in process of being made, which creates even less sence in your question

Ya know...I see it on a Gen2 nose and just think -Bleh-
I don't know what it is, Gen2 noses just don't thrill me. The only one I really liked was BlueTs
And yeah the moonroof deflector looks ghey

I hope mine turns out ok

I know 97MarkJA was meaning to be helpful and I respect that but since you are in the middle of something you have never done before I would bolt the hood back on the car to do the final bonding. Leaning over to do the work will be a pita but at least you know it cannot move on you and flex too much. It will always flex but at least you have it lined up. Get it bonded in place and remove the hood for the final body work to save you the hours of leaning over the car doing the work. Quick tip if you do not know this cool if you do then oh well. Once you have your hood lined up and bonded and you are ready to remove it, take a drill with a 1/8 bit and drill a hole throught the hinge to hood mount plate. When you go to reinstall the hood just slip a rivet pin through the hole to line it back up, saves some time and you will never notice the 1/8 hole later after you remove the rivet pin. Works on doors as well.

Good luck and as everyone else is saying, it is going to be one of a kind and looks awesome so far.

Bolting it back on the car isn't really an option until its finished, but thanks for the tips guys ;)

Its been a few days since I posted any work on this, I've had loads of other people cars I've been busy on..but anyway I got some progress on it ;)

20120719_173235.jpg

20120720_110830.jpg

I got 1 bubble I had to cut out and patch up

Looks great Jeremy! I have a double R hood with those same 98 scoops I considered cutting up for something like this

For those that don't pay attention mine is a 96 LSC nose...which is a Gen1 hood..just attached to a 98..

I've heard that before but I've never seen pictures of it. And your signature is of a complete 2nd gen ?? It seems fewer and fewer people have a photo album on here or a empty one ?? Good luck with the hood. I'm sure I'll see some pictures when your done.

I'm going to make a complete album of the car when its all done...just kinda took off with this thread since it was more for hoods
I swapped to a Gen1 nose when my wife wrecked it, and she had the 93 with a blown Eng..so I just took her nose ..lol
Thanks Stangman, when ya doing yours?
95 that looks nice too, wouldn't work with my application thou

The way too narrow rims, scoop, and stripe kill it for me..so pretty much everything that makes it unique..

I really want to know what was used to bond that on the aluminum, and if it ever rips off when you get some good boost going, what's the fastest you've had it to since that hood install??

Members online

Back