Hood scoop on 96 mark viii

I saw the black and yellow mark again yesterday. He was in my neck of the woods, past him in the mustang on us 19 and I am sorry mike but that scoop looks absolutely horrendous on your car. It has no place on a mark VIII I'm sorry!

Any new Ideas? Iam currently moulding a 2" cowl on my buddys 97 hood for him. But I just dont want a cowl!!!!

Were would you get something like that?

You would find someone locally who knows what they're doing with fiberglass and tell them to make it happen. Which is probably what I will do; I like the Fiber Concepts of the LMS hood, and the price on the hood itself isn't too bad, but shipping it 2/3rds of the way across the country is cost prohibitive. But with a local fiberglass guru, the sky's the limit, whatever you can imagine can probably be made. Just make sure your imagination takes it somewhat seriously.

You would find someone locally who knows what they're doing with fiberglass and tell them to make it happen. Which is probably what I will do; I like the Fiber Concepts of the LMS hood, and the price on the hood itself isn't too bad, but shipping it 2/3rds of the way across the country is cost prohibitive. But with a local fiberglass guru, the sky's the limit, whatever you can imagine can probably be made. Just make sure your imagination takes it somewhat seriously.

I have been a body man for 25 years. I know what to do with fiberglass. I just cant decide on concept other than a cowl. Maybe someone can do a photoshop of some different scoops on a gen 1! :D

I have been a body man for 25 years. I know what to do with fiberglass. I just cant decide on concept other than a cowl. Maybe someone can do a photoshop of some different scoops on a gen 1! :D

Did you ever think of maybe exaggerating the buldge on a 1st gen hood? There are already faint lines and a ridge in the center of the hood that the 2nd gen hood lacks..It's hard for me to explain what I mean but maybe you could just raise that subtle cowl that's already part of the hood an inch or two..I know you're not really looking to do a cowl hood but that would be different than just slapping on a 4 inch cowl scoop like people have done in the past and it's also different from the LMS cowl hood too..

Looks like this Mark VIII owner used the Duraflex Hood Idea + Terminator front Bumper, from Temple Performance. I like it. Still looks like a Mark VIII but a little more Muscular.

Mark6.jpg

Mark7.jpg

Thanks, its a work in progress, Ive been wanting something different and couldn't see myself spending nearly or over a grand for a cowl hood (shipping and paint included) just to have something that everyone already has anyway
So after a few days of shopping around on CL I ended up driving to Huntsville to see a very sad sight..a 96 Cobra destroyed by hail ;(

So here's a step by step progress report...

20120705_135738.jpg

20120705_151704.jpg

Used my heat gun and a puddy knife to seperate the skin from frame
20120705_150550.jpg

Got a decent idea about where I needed trim away, grabbed my DA grinder and had at it
20120705_170844.jpg

Looking at it from different angles, and figuring how the grill and brow have that slight point, as well as the widows peak of the Mark hood I had to find a way to get that to carry into the Cobra hood
20120705_170015.jpg

Sapp, looks cool, I always liked those cobra hoods from those years..did you cut a notch in the front egde of the cobra hood for another scoop..and are you making the twin scoops functional?

So I traced out the Cobra hood with a crayon, starred at it for a while..then grabbed the DA again

20120706_145617.jpg

20120706_150441.jpg

Then slid the skin under my Widow Peak flap ..just to give myself a better idea of how it would flow..
20120706_151034.jpg

A little more trimming and ..
20120706_162114.jpg

20120706_162205.jpg

20120706_162304.jpg

20120706_162408.jpg

20120706_172235.jpg

Ill start glassing it over next week and smoothing it out, once that's done ill start work on the framing

Sapp, I feel so left out. :( lol, who was shopping CL again... :p Forreal though, the hood is going to be one of a kind and I'm loving the looks of it and it's going to be even better when it's all solid black and waxed up.

:D
Terry, you're always a great help! I have no idea why my search wouldn't find the hood I ended up buying, even when I had a good idea of where to look. LaserSVT was showing me the thread about the Cobra on a Dallas Stang site the day it got ruined. I feel bad for that guys loss and hope I can make something good of it. Ill be going back for another piece of that car once I get the funds balanced

:D
Terry, you're always a great help! I have no idea why my search wouldn't find the hood I ended up buying, even when I had a good idea of where to look. LaserSVT was showing me the thread about the Cobra on a Dallas Stang site the day it got ruined. I feel bad for that guys loss and hope I can make something good of it. Ill be going back for another piece of that car once I get the funds balanced

I still liked the black and white one for $20 less lol. Seems like it was missing something and then the other guy had one but wanted an additional $150 for the inserts. Just make it purty Sapp's. Just messin withya btw. I would blame your phone but we pretty much have the same exact phone lol. Yours is the Galaxy S2 and mine is the Infuse. Both pretty much the same thing.

There was kinda an ethical reason I went for the blue hood, it was close, a decent price (including inserts), and mostly- it was damaged..so I took into consideration that someone wanting an entire hood wouldn't want one in that shape. Being that it had been pounded with ice balls, I didn't mind cutting on it. I would've felt bad taking a perfect OEM Cobra hood and cutting it to pieces - and then it not turn out right

There was kinda an ethical reason I went for the blue hood, it was close, a decent price (including inserts), and mostly- it was damaged..so I took into consideration that someone wanting an entire hood wouldn't want one in that shape. Being that it had been pounded with ice balls, I didn't mind cutting on it. I would've felt bad taking a perfect OEM Cobra hood and cutting it to pieces - and then it not turn out right

That's funny Sapp, when i did the motor swap on my MGA I must have sat and looked at the car for an hour before I pushed the button on the plasma cutter. 12k original miles, British car guys everywhere rolled over in their graves I'm sure.
After the first cut its all easy.

thats looking great. my foray into the mark scene apparently is going to continue.i've just made arrangements for another mark, but still going to be parting what i can from the old one. but sapp thats gonna be a great look.

It does look good! make sure the hood is flat before you bond your scoop on; or bond it while its on the car. They can get out of shape pretty easy, 1/4 inch over 4 1/2 feet looks awful when you go to put it back on the car. Ask me how I know.
At least with a Gen 2 aluminium hood you can pull it back into shape, no hope with a Gen 1 composite hood once its done.

I've left all the Mark framing intact, wouldn't that be enough to hold its shape? I've never done fiberglass or any body work for that matter.

Members online

No members online now.
Back