Hood scoop on 96 mark viii

Into the yard?.... :shifty:

:p

I try not to use to much product but you always end up with compound or polish spray like that somewher. It tends to kill off the grass and leave nice little stripes in your yard, just trying to keep the wife happy.

Wet Sanded till my arms were jelly

20120913_145542.jpg

How did you sand it?

Seems like everyone, wants to be a smartass these days.

That is very true. I would imagine he used the same process I used on my headlights, or one very similar. You take the water, I used a squirty bottle, spray the area you want and go at it with a very high grit sandpaper. If you do it right, you'll get a slurry that comes up. If not add more water.

I have a small sanding sponge, and I started with 1500 until it was smooth to the touch and the paper slid over it without feeling like it was grabbing anything, then finish with 2000 grit. The goal is to shave it down to where there's no more freckles. I rinsed it off frequently so I wasn't swirling the trash back into the paint

1500?!? Geez, you were going at it for a while then! Usually prime, wet sand with 400, or 600 if its black, and it comes out looking great when painted. You could try using guide coat on your next projects, if you haven't heard of it.

I sanded the prime coat with 600 and I used a flat black and sprayed it OVER not AT the hood for a trace coat

On a curious note, anyone seen anything from Stang1 lately?

20120917_173126.jpg

Front license plate...such a crime

If you ever repaint the bumper you can get rid of the license plate mounting holes and go with a magnetic mount.
We are required to run a front plate in MN so I picked up some rare earth magnets, 1"x1"x1/4". 40 lbs of pull each, I went with 12 of them and made a new license plate mount. 6 are on the mount and 6 are behind the bumper.

If you ever repaint the bumper you can get rid of the license plate mounting holes and go with a magnetic mount.
We are required to run a front plate in MN so I picked up some rare earth magnets, 1"x1"x1/4". 40 lbs of pull each, I went with 12 of them and made a new license plate mount. 6 are on the mount and 6 are behind the bumper.

Do you have any pictures of that?

That hood looks SOOOOO NICE on that car! I want one for my Gen1! How much, Sap? Hooka brotha up, yo!

Here's a price break down of MY hood

Mark VIII OEM hood $30 JY
96-98 Cobra OEM hood $300 eBay
$50 sand paper
$120 fiberglass materials
$140 paints and primers
Labor = 135 hours @ $65 per hour

That's because you didn't paint the entire car with layers of fiberglass. And how much body mud did you use to paint the entire car? Did you reinforce the inner skin from the back side and build a frame for any of the panels?
in any normal full body repaint, you can rack up MANY hours just fixing little dents and then sanding them out. How else do you think $50,000 paint jobs are created - especially if you're laying a candy coat

Yeah I'd make another one, but it WILL NOT be cheap. The materials alone will run you between $700-$1000 .. and that's not including the major tools such as angle grinders, buffers, orbital Sanders

My SVO was completely stripped, only one quarter has any mud, from being wrecked lord knows when and the quarter was reskinned. Hell, putting the T tops in only took about 30 hours..

I know what it takes to paint a car, worked on everything from a Morris taxi to a Pantera. Many MGBs, and domestics.

Not knocking the work. Just a comment on the hours just to build a hood.

Well the hood was the first body work ive EVER done .. I've painted things before... but not shaping.

I doubt the 2nd hood would take me that long

Members online

No members online now.
Back