"Gear Display Data Error" (PIC)

UltimateSVT

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Miami, FL(Home of the rust free MARK VIII's
Ok guys, I'm getting the entire roof re-done on my house & the roofers came over yesterday. They specifically told me to move all the vehicles away from the house as tar tends to fly down the sides of the house & my cars are way too close. That being said, this afternoon I got home from work, slapped the front tires back on the car & when I put it on "D" this message appeared!
I did some research on LVC & I've come up empty handed. I drove the car about 2 miles just to test it, tranny shifts smoothly. Don't understand the issue nor the message. Any suggestions?

20120512_145620.jpg

Negative Ghostrider!!! What you need here is a new electronic shift indicator underneath the actual shifter! Did you get a cel after this event? When this part goes bad there is a malfunction with the gear selector lights between the gear lights on the instrument cluster and the lights on the shifter this is why you get the dreaded "Gear Display Data Error"

According to a quick google of that error, EPC solenoid is bad. But the OP of this thread never actually said it took care of the problem.

http://lincolnsofdistinction.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=14046

Negative Ghostrider!!! What you need here is a new electronic shift indicator underneath the actual shifter! Did you get a cel after this event? When this part goes bad there is a malfunction with the gear selector lights between the gear lights on the instrument cluster and the lights on the shifter this is why you get the dreaded "Gear Display Data Error"

That sounds more logical than the EPC.....

I've got the same problem on my '97 LSC. It's intermittent. It only happens once or twice a month. I get the error message and then a CEL. When I get the error, the gear display on instrument panel doesn't light up and it shifts hard into drive. Then when I take off, the D lights up, the doors lock, and all is well. I'll fix it some day. After a couple of start/stop cycles, the GEL goes away and it's fine for another month or so:)

Edit: I just remembered that I had Auto Zone run a scan on it a couple of months ago and the code came back MLPS malfunction. So I'm pretty sure my MLPS ain't workin' right:D But again, I'll get to it eventually. Got a whole mess o' stuff I need to do to this dam car.

I have seen this error first hand on several Marks and these were the problems on each car:

1. 98 LSC; bad ECU
2. 98 LSC (different one); bad VSS
3. 98 LSC (yet a different one); bad MLPS
4. 98 LSC (yes, another one); bad alt and lost charge at idle

So take your pick. VSS is cheap.

Huh? :confused:

The only thing under the console and shifter on a Gen 2 is a series of LED's. And, I know for a fact that the instrument panel gear lights work without the LED's under the console connected.

The Digital Transmission Range (DTR) Sensor is bolted to the side of the transmission. Commonly referred to as the MLPS.

HPIM2993ss.jpg

Last edited:
Huh? :confused:

The only thing under the console and shifter on a Gen 2 is a series of LED's.

The Digital Transmission Range (DTR) Sensor is bolted to the side of the transmission. Commonly referred to as the MLPS.

Or Manual Lever Position Sensor for short:D Yep. That's what I need. But is that what makes the gear selection display on the instrument panel light up? When I get the dreaded "Gear Display Error", the indicator between the speedo and tach goes dark and won't show the shifter's location. Is that the MLPS or another sensor/switch?

The PCM feeds the IP through the multiplex communications network, using data derived from the DTR.

This error could be caused by loose connections, as well as all of the things that LaserSVT listed, although I don't know how the VSS is involved in this circuit.

Hmmm, ok. Well, I got roofers working at my house until mid week next week, they have a dumpster in my front yard, I got no space to play with parts... so.... DAMN IT! I have to wait another damn week to get down there! Never the less the car isn't getting driven.

For the time being, what are the consequences for driving it as is (assuming I would leave it like that for another month or so)?

Hmmm, ok. Well, I got roofers working at my house until mid week next week, they have a dumpster in my front yard, I got no space to play with parts... so.... DAMN IT! I have to wait another damn week to get down there! Never the less the car isn't getting driven.

For the time being, what are the consequences for driving it as is (assuming I would leave it like that for another month or so)?

Well, from my experience, drive it a couple of feet and the shifter indicator will light back up and after a couple of start/stop cycles the CEL will go out. I've been doing this for a loooooooooooooong time:)

Way too much money for a car with too many issues. No thanks, I'll pass.
In all fairness they are not any worse copared to most other cars out there. They are just harder and more expensive to work on. :D

Alex ill trade you my ls for your prairie tan.

Dude, that comment was totally out of left field & I know you meant it. :D

I just drove my prairie to work this morning. She just turned 73k & I couldn't be happier. Especially after the whole LSC/CE conversion. This car is as near mint as it's ever going to be.

Your LS is sick, I love it, but in my eyes it will never fullfill my Lincoln desire! :)

20120518_120813.gif

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230703149563?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

So does it or does it not fit our Lincoln Mark VIII's?

When you look up the MLPS on ebay the ad reads:

4R44E 4R55E 5R44E 5R55E '98+ MLPS & 4R70W DTR '97+ NEW FORD ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT (Fits: Mark VIII)

but when I click on the compatibility chart it reads:

This part is not compatible with 1997 Lincoln Mark VIII Base 4.6L

I need to order this badly. My black '97 is shifting hard & at times it can't make up it's mind what gear to stay on. At times it grinds so hard it feels like I'm going over those ridges on the edge of the highway. :(

[url]http://www.ebay.com/itm/230703149563?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649[/URL]

So does it or does it not fit our Lincoln Mark VIII's?

When you look up the MLPS on ebay the ad reads:

4R44E 4R55E 5R44E 5R55E '98+ MLPS & 4R70W DTR '97+ NEW FORD ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT (Fits: Mark VIII)

but when I click on the compatibility chart it reads:

This part is not compatible with 1997 Lincoln Mark VIII Base 4.6L

I need to order this badly. My black '97 is shifting hard & at times it can't make up it's mind what gear to stay on. At times it grinds so hard it feels like I'm going over those ridges on the edge of the highway. :(

That happens a LOT on those compatability charts on Ebay Motors. I've looked up parts for my LSC and the Cobra that I KNOW will fit only to get that same message. As far as I know, that MLPS should work fine. And your transmission sounds like you need to either do the 1-2 accumulator or change the fluid/filter and put in a quart of Lucas or Wynn's Shudder Guard or Doctor Tranny some other treatment. If you've already done the accumulator, well...that tranny may not last much longer.

PS: I clicked your link and checked every car/truck/SUV I could think of that used the 4R70W transmission and got the same message every time. Apparently the folks who do those compatability charts ain't got a clue what they're doing:rolleyes:

Members online

No members online now.
Back